Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I'll counter that whole general argument with two names: Joel Schumacher and Michael Bay.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That's just wrong if not overly harsh.
    They got Johnson, Branagh & Whedon etc and wanted their input. Input within a stated framework, but input and vision of those directors all the same.

Feige wanted Edgar's vision on Ant-Man as well, within the framework. He allowed for him to postpone it to finish his Cornetto saga with his health stricken creative partner on the project. Along the way Marvel Studios went from Indy studio to part of a Conglomerate. From a point where there only existed a Phase One and we'll deal with more films in the short term to there being a whiteboard of films and plans laid through 2028.

Acting like Edgar Wright was treated harshly and the studio and/or corporate entity are solely to blame isn't fair or correct. Wright was given every professional and personal courtesy until such a point where it was put up or shut up due to a hard deadline that could no longer be ignored or pushed back due to the MCU gameboard (white board) with pieces in motion. Instead of owning up to and compromising on some of his vision, as a thank you for the courtesy you've extended me for 8yrs, he got all prissy prima donna and walked. In the end it was he that was too prideful after all that was done to accommodate him.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Having his script rewritten and foisting major changes on him at the last minute isn't according him every professional courtesy. He felt the rewritten script was poor, so he walked. Feige reportedly fought for him to stay on. That presumably means he fought for Wright to be allowed to make the film they had worked on for so long together. The top brass suits were the ones behind the changes. The prospect that the suits are going to start overruling Feige on how to make these movies isn't something anyone should welcome.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a top brass thing, over Feige's head so a Disney thing.
    I'm not sure how much reporting on this that we know to date is accurate.
    But for 7-8yrs he was extended a large chunk of professional courtesy. Whatever the changes were, be it a total re-write or just portions (I've seen stories say both), we many never know but one instance at the end doesn't negate he was extended professional & personal courtesies for quite some time.

Suit meddling from high up is a proven shaky thing. Look no further than SONY & Spidey for that one.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay. Here.. I'm going to level with you all... right now

Marvel's made billions. They've given some B-list talent a lot of notoriety. And, to their credit, they've hired some decent casts. But I can't help but feel sour. This is an awful and creatively bereft way to make films, even the blockbuster-type action films.

Blockbusters used to inspire the imagination. Now they are cinematic diarrhea. Remember when the five notes the aliens played in CE3K were wondrous, or when the Millennium Falcon seemed like a real vessel that you could walk around or inside of, or when one single lightning bolt not only sent you back to the future, but you didn't really need many more SFX to consider that film a satisfying experience?

Now, Marvel has proved that you can churn out blockbusters by using the same business model that has to be used when churning out twenty episodes in a season of one hour dramas. They sapped much of the charm and all of the intelligence out of blockbusters.

The Winter Soldier's climax has three flying aircraft carriers floating in the sky, but the effect is utterly without inspiration, charm, or excitement. Remember the thrill when Luke and Biggs first maneuvered into the trench to make their attack runs? That thrill has been replaced by the workhorses who throw CGI on the screen with absolutely no risk because they know the effects look good. Remember.. that trench run that thrilled us... and still thrills us... was made up of plastic model parts set up on ping pong tables outside of a studio....

The Ant-Man fiasco highlights some of the major issues Marvel will have from now on. When George Lucas was (once) in his hey-day, he hired Kirsh to direct Empire because he had many other affairs to attend to, not the least of which was setting up his business, his ranch wherein creative people could work together, and he could focus his attention on the riskiest aspect of the new film.. a character that was a puppet and not real. He told Kirsh "this is your film," and he meant it. Sure, Kirsh had to follow the vision of the new franchise and work within bounds.. but it was still his film, and it felt like it. Following Hollywood tradition.. Marvel will call each film that comes out a film that belongs to it's respective director, but I am no longer convinced by it, not as we move into Phase three, Phase Four, and Phase five. Screw that.. now we are just dealing with Feige's calendar and all of his machinations to get the job done. He will find a way to hire talented directors, and once in a while, you'll get those moments in Marvel films that reflect their own unique styles, but these films will not be their films in any sense.. they will be Feige's, and the suits. And sweaty nerds will continue to be satisfied with these films long after the novelty should have worn off, and young imaginations will be put through the rigor of corporate filmmaking without innovation and without the risk that made the earliest blockbusters.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Exactly.
    Yep.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I thought The Winter Soldier's climax was pretty exciting and whether the cisual effects were done by CGI or models it really doesn't make much of a difference. There were complaints about the original Star Wars films having too many visual effects in them.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Keep in mind that they didn't just rewrite his script one night while he was asleep. They asked him to make changes and he was working on them, but not quickly enough or to Marvel's satisfaction. Given the deadline, they rewrote it and he disliked it. Given that he disliked it, it's reasonable for him to quit, but they didn't rewrite the script without him to dick him over, they did it because they had a hard deadline to meet.

Although, if they're rewriting it now with Adam McKay while they film, there was clearly more flexibility than reported.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Wright will certainly benefit from the Ant-Man script and resultant movie that he'll never get to make being heralded as wondrous by people who'll never read or see it.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing beats the one that got away, right?

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. FSM seems to be on a decidedly anti-Marvel bent lately. It's getting predictable.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

You might simplify it, but it's not anti-Marvel. I like Marvel. I have been watching films for 35 years, however, so I think I can spot certain trends and I don't like this current trend Marvel has been riding us down. I want to make my position known.

Isn't that what this message board is for?

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's not lately. If you go to the "Movies that offend you" thread he outright stated weeks if not months ago the entire MCU series 'offended' him.

I don't know what his problem is, but he's been dragging it into literally every MCU thread at this point, attempting to derail all of them, and it's getting rather pathetic.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You've made it known. You've been repeating it page after page. I think we all get your position now.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I often think the same thing regarding the ad nauseum restatement of complaints about Man of Steel. Physician heal thyself.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well, it's driving me out of my Vulcan mind

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They gave Wright a deadline that left them enough time to use a fallback options If after however many years he hasn't delivered what they wanted, leaving enough buffer for a fallback if he fails again was the prudent course.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

:wtf: Is that directed at me?

Because I've been going on and on about MOS? In the past two days I was in the thread about Batman v Superman, but, I hadn't posted anything about MOS in a long time...

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You do realize that there have been, and currently are, plenty of intelligent, quality TV shows produced under this model?