Mark Hamill: No more Joker

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw on Blastr that Mark Hamill announced yesterday that Arkham City will be his last time playing the Joker. I can understand wanting to stop after playing the character for almost 20 years, but I still think this is a sad day for Batman fans. Of all the different versions of the Joker I've seen Hamill's was second only the Heath Ledger.
    I do have to wonder if they knew this when they decided to kill Mr. J at the end of Arkham City.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep I saw that the other day and those spoilers would go along way as to explaining why. He didn't want to come back for Arkham City but did so because of the fans. I think Kevin Conroy said that the fans were a big reason for him coming back to do the game as well. I will miss Mark's Joker as his was my favourite version of the character, Heath's version is my second favourite.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

He stated this back when his involvement in Arkham City was first announced.

4. Admiral_Young

Indeed. It's come back into light again though since the game came out and NYCC.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Mark Hamill was amazing as the Joker and the man deserves a lot more credit than he gets for his acting skills. I've always been a fan.

6. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I hadn't heard that. The guy had one hell of a run.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm at least glad he got to go out on a very high note with Arkham City. IMO he did an incredible job in the game. Same with Kevin Conroy.

8. Admiral_Young

^ Yes he did. Both he and Conroy were awesome. In fact the entire voice cast did a great job and I especially liked Stana Katic as Talia!

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Hamill announced this back in 2010, not long after Arkham City was announced. Don't forget that Hamill is 60 years old, and by this point the Joker voice is absolutely killing his throat. Saying that he did Arkham City because of the fans is false, however -- Hamill had originally planned for Arkham Asylum to be his final go as The Joker, but after reading Paul Dini's script for Arkham City, he felt that he had to return for one last go.

As for Conroy, that dude will continue voicing Batman as long as WB wants him and his voice allows. Just a few weeks ago, he was announced to be playing Batman in Justice League: Doom.

Also, "Mark?" "Heath?" Really? Are you on a first-name basis with these people? :lol:

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Indeed. This is an old announcement, but it's still sad. He did a fantastic job.

11. Admiral_Young

My bad for the false information...maybe I'm thinking of Conroy who did give a recent video interview with CBR that fans demand is the reason he keeps on doing the voice and I'm aware of Doom. It maybe an old announcement but it's been in play again due to the game release and I think Hamil repeated that he won't be returning during his panel at NYCC.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I think it was probably one of the best written and acted games I've ever played.
    EDIT: I didn't realize it was an old announcement, this was the first I'd heard about it.

13. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. Phenomenal script and story.

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I agree with you on pretty much everything you said except for one. Mark Hamill was second to nobody as the Joker.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

but but but.. Is he ever going to play the Trixter again?

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised. The voice he does must be tough on his vocal cords.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, I figured vocal strain was probably the reason.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anybody know the story of Sorkin not doing Harley in Arkham City? It's too bad with it being Hamill's final outing as Joker.

I gained an even higher respect for Conroy when I tried some door and the line sounded off (maybe a fill-in line?) and it was very disconcerting.

19. Admiral_Young

Tara Strong is a fantastic successor to Harley in Arkham City. She did such a great job that I didn't even notice that it wasn't Arleen. This is the only article I could find on the casting...

http://www.batman-online.com/index.php?news;id=43

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to go NYCC just to meet Hamill. Heard he was an asshole and charged 100 bucks just to have a pic taken with him, but his attitude was worse.