Tony Stark is MENTAL! He just Fragged the SRA Database.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who the (&*^ is writing Invincible Iron Man? Matt Fraction. Good. We like him. But, hell?

Tony spent the last two years getting capes to sign up with the government at gun point, basically betraying the anonymity of the Super hero condition, allowing the opportunity for any petty bureaucrat to create their own personal honor guard on Uncle Sam's dime under threat of off world internment for an indefinable duration (I'm talking about Henry Peter Gyrich in Avengers Initiative.), but now Stark realizes that he took things too far?

See, Tony was fine with the next guy being in charge, having access to all this power because odds are the next guy was going to be an incompetent boob tripping over his, or her own ambition and nothing to worry about. Making a list is the first step to what happened in Germany you understand, and when Reed and Tony were in power, well it all seemed relatively benign, even if the Red Skull was one inch from putting his man in the White House during the pages of Captain America over the course of 2007/2008, but he could trust himself to do horrible things with immoral tools because the ends justify the means and the ends he was working towards were lovely.

So, Norman "The green "I drop Hot blonds off the Queensborough Bridge" Goblin" Osborn is in charge now and Tony freaking out like as if Norman is Grand Admiral Thrawn or someone really scary and Machiavellian. It must be an over reaction, no matter how well Norm is playing the media at the moment, it's not like someone so obviously clinically insane (Warren Ellis claimed that the beautiful Moonstone was messing with his medication to push and pull which way Osborn spazzed and wigged for her giggles.) can be that close to the top and hide it, again.

Tony Stark has destroyed every copy of the civilian identities for all the capes that have signed up with the US Government, effectively winding back the clock on the Superhero Registration act to day one... Playing god much Tony? Do you think your new moral grand standing is going to get the new Captain America Killed too? Fricken worst bad loser ever.

This is flip flopping!

His own hand picked Cape killers are coming after him, but you just have to wonder what it means if you should only trust the government if they deserve to be trusted means that he'll flip flop back to right wing extremism once Norman is kicked out? And besides if everyone signed up willingly because they thought it was a good idea, well, obviously they'll do it again, because it's not like they're afraid that cyberterrorists like Tony Stark can junk or float government data at will and whim that they shouldn't dare trust their secrets to boobs for a second time just because they WILL be jailed in the Negative Zone for trying to make a stand after given this second chance to say what is right and what is wrong.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a pretty big flip flop I'd say, although then again, given how nutso Osborn and Moonstone are... probably not a bad move off hand, but then it let's Osborn put his own people in those roles, which may bite our heroes on the arsecheeks. Could be fun. Like a Thunderbolts/Infinity War sorta thing with 'evil' versions of the heroes and bad guys being good

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

This is what happens when Marvel fucks with their characters too much.

So, with the SHRA was he just a temporary little fascist, or what?

4. Nick Ryder

Well maybe Osborne was behind it in the first place... lol or Mephisto

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Would you trust Osborn with it ? The first thing he did was enter "Spider-Man".

Come on, people, it's Norman Osborn!

6. Nick Ryder

Yep.. same nutjob who used to think people were saying 'Spider-Man' when they didn't even get close to saying the name.

Ozzy Osborne and Normie are seperated at birth in the crazy department

7. Guy Gardener

You understand, like with the army, people were getting educations in exchange for pledged service? that the personal paper work every one filled out (In one of the specials with Howard the Duck) is about the same size as a phone book? That a whole bunch of people might actually have jobs right now now Dependant on being registered?

And this is completely Fightclub with the clocked back credit card companies. If they can't prove who hasn't registered, they can't hunt down anyone and more importantly they have to empty the Negative Zone prisons since there is now no proof that those conscientious objectors didn't break down and file their registration 10 minutes before everything went to hell... Or are to believe that Starks little virus didn't skip between universes?

The only way what Stark is doing makes any sense if all the thousands of battles between the green Goblin and Iron Man just haven't been documented yet... You all know that Norman has no soul right? It left his body and went to hell when he died. battled the Avengers in an 80s annual and everything. Osborn is just meat and Goblin formula... Shouldn't that mean that Mephisto has no power over him if all his magical abilities have to do with manipulating souls?

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Actually, the registration database specifically does not mean that any payroll clerk can find out Squirrel Girl's real name.

They've been very clear on this, you are registered with S.H.I.E.L.D., your real name and thus your other real details are not public knowledge.

9. Guy Gardener

And we're supposed to believe in those promises now that there is no S.H.I.E.L.D.? Who is to say that H.A.M.M.E.R. would have been forwarded all of S.H.I.E.L.D's responsibilities?

Seriously, there's what 20 maybe 30 names that would have to be seriously seriously protected, and then the other 30,000 dipshits with powers that signed up are really a concern to no one.

And as far as the civilian name being protected goes, from what I have seen the personal registration card each cape is require to carry has their name civilian name printed on the front.

If someone does a speedball there is a process for getting a name. A local sherif living in a one horse town should be able to request the idenity of the local hero if they much up and there are some civilian casualties to talked about... Not that the Cape Killers wouldn't immediately take over the investigation?

Remember Civil war Frontline? A couple mid level peons in S.H.I.E.L.D. were black mailing Wonderman because he was defrauding a charity, said that they were going to stuff the shra right down his throat unless he became their toy soldier.

More, Stuff.

I'm still wondering how Cables declaration to Bush that the 50 state initiiative is the worst thing the president ever did is going to play out? Unless it has and he just didn't want to bother telling everyone that the skrulls were coming.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Does a Speedball ? What did Speedball do ?

It was Nitro that blew up Stamford!

11. Guy Gardener

Yeah Nitro was going to blow up either way.

But someone provoked him for it to happen there and then.

Wasn't Damage control drugging him to blow up bigger so they could secure contracts?

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yes.

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It makes sense to me. Stark and Reed justified their spearheading the SHRA few times by saying that it was going to happen anyway, and if something like that had to happen then Stark didn't trust anybody but himself (control freak that he is) to control that kind of power. Having lost the reins of the beast he helped create, Stark turns around and sabotages it, much like the way he decided to track down every piece of Stark tech being used by the government and others because he didn't want it used outside of his control (the 'Armour Wars' it was called, right?).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Seriously? Who wrote that?

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Whoever wrote the Civil War: Wolverine tie-in. There's more to it than that. It all has to do with a man named Walter Declun who was CEO of Damage Control at the time. Wolverine "removed" him from the company, IIRC.

Declun has been appearing in Amazing Spider-Man recently as well. He may be responsible for the minor villain Blindside gaining powers which resulted in Jackpot's death.

16. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Wait! What? I've not read Spider-Man since Brand New Day so I may be totally wrong, but isn't Jackpot Mary-Jane? O_o

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No.

The original Jackpot was a woman named Sarah Ehret. This woman has superpowers of an unknown nature and registered under the Superhuman Registration Act and was allowed to act as a licenced superhero. She regretted this and quietly retired. Another, physically similar woman named Alana Jobson approached her and convinced her to hand over her registration card. Jobson had no superpowers and began purchasing Mutant Growth Hormone from various suppliers which gave her unpredictable superpowers. This is the woman Spider-Man worked with.

They fought a minor villain named Blindside together. His power was the ability to render his opponent temporarily blind using a chemical compound. Unfortunately for him, Spider-Man developed an antidote which he used on himself and Jackpot. Blindside used his ability on them again, and while it did not work, the combination of the compound, the antidote and the MGH she had been taking caused a chemical reaction which resulted in her death.

Ehret based the oriignal Jackpot persona on MJ. MJ is a famous soap actress and used the "Face it Tiger, you just hit the Jackpot" on television. Ehret has been seen with MJ, declaring that she is a "huge fan".

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And it's about God-damned time, too!

19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

how do I catch up on the story line here, I missed a big chunk of it

20. Guy Gardener

wikipedia will tell you the issues you need.

Online Hold requests for trades at your local library should work if you don't have a thousand dollars to hand over to your generic comicshop guy.

There is no other legal options short of borrowing from a friend.