What is your least favourite TNG film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Infern0, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Vote away

1. Generations

24 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. First Contact

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Insurrection

37 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Nemesis

59 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Easily NEM. My wife is at best a casual viewer of Star Trek (as she got in via the JJ movies) but has enjoyed most of the original content as well. She couldn't even make it through Nemesis the first time we watched it.

I ended up throwing the movie in my editing bay and I re-cut the movie down to about the length of an episode, totally removing the entire B4 subplot. Obviously there is no happy ending, and if anything begged even harder for a proper sendoff for that crew, but the wife enjoyed it much more without the B4 story line in it.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Generations by far, nothing comes close. Insurrection is ok, Nemesis and First COntact were the two best.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I had the opposite experience: people who didn't see Nemesis in the theater or who weren't trek fans liked Nemesis when they saw it.

RAMA

4. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Breaking it down...

Worst Bad Guy: Nemesis-Shinzon, Remans... a.k.a. anti-Betazeds

Biggest Disappointment: Nemesis (where are the freaking Romulans?!?!)

Worst Characters: Insurrection

Least Engaging Story: Insurrection (well, only against a rogue admiral; who really cares about the fountain of youth?)

Worst Plot: Generations (the abominable Nexus)

Worst Rehash of Tech We Had Already Seen: Generations

Worst Use of Actors in Character: Generations

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I had a similar experience. Marathoning Trek movies with my non Trek friends. NEM ranked as one of the highest as far as enjoyment. STID, and ST09 were in first and second place, but after that it was NEM, TWOK, TUC and then FC. They really didn't enjoy FC and I was shocked because it's one of TNG's best. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

6. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nemesis is a bit worse than Insurrection: I liked that Data was portrayed seriously, his death and the final space battle were OK but Shinzon, B4 and the rest of the action were boring and too non-credible.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

On average, all the TNG movies are my least favorite. But from best to worst:

First Contact (overall least favorite Trek film, but the best of the TNG group. It only gets the #1 spot cause it's the visually most impressive of the movies)
    Insurrection
    Generations
    Nemesis

8. austen_pierce

I really wanted to love Nemesis. I still do. I keep thinking it will be better next time I watch it. That Tom Hardy will actually sell menacing. That the Romulans will save the movie in addition to the Enterprise. It's the tenth movie; it was supposed to be epic, something truly special. As soon as I heard the tag line "a generation's final journey", I knew we were in trouble... that's what they were selling. Might as well have read "a franchise's final outing."

9. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't like First Contact in the slightest. Star Trek is an adventure show, but it stepped on major themes in Star Trek II, Moby Dick and all. It wasn't like this for Picard by the end of Descent, Part II. They covered this material in the show. That's my first complaint.

The second is that Zephrame Cochrane is told exactly who he will become. He's no longer living his life as if he has no idea of the outcome. It changes the universe of Star Trek and takes away from the greatness of Cochrane. Imagine if I, in the 21st Century, traveled back in time and told George Washington he must cross the Delaware. Tell him everything about the United States. It's crazy.

Star Trek: Insurrection is my favorite and I have talked about it ad nauseum on this board.

10. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Insurrection. I loved Nemesis especially the book.

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I loved Nemesis as well. Good to see I'm not alone. I haven't read the book. I will have to look into getting that.

12. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Nemesis. It was just horrible. Data being blown to smithereens then being replaced by the lesser B4. The whole thing about Picard having a clone.... The only highlight was the Wedding scene.

13. austen_pierce

The B4 replacement aspect was awful. Better to have B4 serve a purpose... like destroying the Theleron weapon. Consider a situation in which the weapon was active. No human could get close due to the damaging effects. Data is our only hope. Suddenly, he realizes that he needs a second set of hands. Enter B4. Let them both make the ultimate sacrifice. After all, Spiner's not coming back.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Hell, bring back Lal or Lore. There was no need to create B4.

15. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I would have liked to have seen Lore in Nemesis, I loved Spiner's portrayal of him in the series

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I liked the concept of B4. It made sense from a realism perspective that Soong would have built a more primitive prototype model before building something as complex as Lore.

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't mind B4, I'd just have lost the whole dune buggy chase and search for his parts as it slowed the movie down for no real reason. Nemesis isn't hugely good, but it's very underrated. I like the grim, dark tone and think Shinzon is one of the best villains of the film franchise. Certainly way better than Nero.

Nemesis badly needed another draft of the script, to remove a lot of the pointless shit and further explain some of the main plot. It's still pretty enjoyable for dumb entertainment, but the TNG crew deserved better for their final outing.

Generations is the only TNG movie I just can't enjoy. There are a few good bits but I always finish it feeling angry and depressed at how much of a waste it was. The other 3 are largely enjoyable, despite their flaws.

18. austen_pierce

Generations may be a waste of Kirk and Chekov in their last big screen roles, but there's a lot to like here as well. Scotty gets a few good scenes and lines, especially his digs at Kirk. The interesting use of lighting is somethings that's easily forgotten yet makes this a standout among the films. I originally HATED Data's emotion chip but have reversed on that as well... Geordi's "I'm not amused" reactions are priceless. I do wish they had done anything other than the Nexus though...

19. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

Nemesis is soooo the worst. First 15 mins; Troi and Riker's wedding with Data singing - great. Awesome. One of the best Star Trek scenes. But the rest? Picard has an unknown clone? There's another Soong android? Data's death? Please.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I am tempted to say all of them, but Generations is head and shoulders above the others in the crapness stakes.

In order of dislike -

Generations
    Insurrection
    Nemesis
    First Contact