The Lone Ranger

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Jul 2, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I heard some clips on the radio where he uses the term. Although apparently they changed the meaning from "trusty scout" or "faithful friend" to.... "wrong brother." Because now it's supposed to be a derogatory thing I guess.

And apparently Tonto also makes fun of the "Hi-yo Silver" line as well, which is just... ugh. :rolleyes:

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything I've read about this seems to indicate it's not so much a Western, but a Hollywood action movie that so happens to be set in the old west.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Everything about it does make it sound bad, but with Helena Bonham Carter in it, it might just make it a must see.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Since then, we've had Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma, and True Grit, not to mention such modern westerns (in spirit if not necessarily setting) as No Country for Old Men, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and Premium Rush. Cowboys and Aliens, OTOH... yeah, that was awful.

Anyhow, funny you should mention Mask. Stephen Greydanus writes:
    :alienblush: Sounds almost Wild Wild West bad... and 43 minutes longer! :scream:

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kind of like that Far Side cartoon where an elderly Lone Ranger is looking through a dictionary:

"'Kemo Sabe'...Apache expression for a horse's rear end...what the hell?!?" :guffaw:

And isn't it Hi-HO silver?

6. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

No, it's Hi-yo, Silver. Always has been.

7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoy the radio programs on XM. Won't be going to see this flick.

Why can't they just, y'know, make a Lone Ranger movie? Why does it have to be so mucked up? Why all the backstory? Can't we just have a hero? This makes me think of angsty-punk Kirk-with-backstory in JJtrek 09. Or Depp's all-psychy-angsty-father-issues Willy Wonka.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Erm..........The Lone Ranger is SciFi? Did they change the concept so much that we're talking about it in the SciFi forum?

9. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering about that myself.
    I'm definitely not bothering with this movie. Nothing in the previews or commercials looks very compelling.

10. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The Lone Ranger is considered a Superhero and this is where those movies are discussed. In the mythos of the Lone Ranger he is the great-uncle of the Green Hornet another masked crime fighting superhero with a side-kick.

If the mods don't think this belongs in this section I am sure they will either move it or close it down.

11. davejames

Yup. "Hi-Ho" is Kermit the Frog's thing.

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone was hoping it would be Cowboys and Aliens since Depp was in the film. ;)

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I never hope anything is Cowboys and Aliens. That movie was dreadful.

14. davejames

I didn't think it was dreadful, just generic and by the numbers.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Depp as Tonto was the reason I wasn't going to fork money over to see this film. I like Depp, but to cast him as a Native American Indian? Then to see some of the previews making it out to look like a comedy? No, thank you.

16. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Appaloosa and True Grit were well below that, so that's fine by me.

Oh jeez, really? That just seems unnecessary. On the radio show the Ranger was as likely to call Tonto that as the other way around.

He is? First I've heard of it. He has no supernatural powers nor any technology that's not available to any other lawman.

17. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I wouldn't consider him a superhero. I'd consider him more of a folk hero, similar to Zorro and the Four Musqueteers.

18. davejames

Yup, those were all excellent so I'm not really worried about Lone Ranger doing any harm to the genre. $250 million was just a ridiculous amount for a western anyway.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. You don't put this kind of money up for an unproven commodity.

20. Owain Taggart

It's not like a western needs all that money in order to be made anyway, as Westerns are normally raw and basic instead of laden with in-your-face effects like most blockbusters.