Eureka - "I Do Over" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 19, 2008.

?

How do you rate this episode?

1. Excellent

40.4%
  2. Very Good

42.3%
  3. Good

7.7%
  4. Mediocre

7.7%
  5. Terrible

1.9%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sounds like Carter is experiencing another Bill Murray movie. :lol:

2. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

Anybody else getting frustrated with skiffy's overuse of the advertisement "It's the END for somebody and EVERYTHING changes!" It's been used in Doctor Who and Stargate and now this. Come on, get some new material.

And it's also misleading, because "the end" is not neccesarily a death either.

3. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

Was not expecting that at all. I hadn't heard anything about him leaving. Kinda sad about it. Damn it to hell.

Is Salli Richardson pregnant?

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Commander Red Shirt

They killed Stark! Noooooooooo!

5. The Nth Doctor

Damn! I wasn't expecting that either. But I figured it was going to be either Fargo or Nathan when it came to that last scene and I didn't want either of them to go (which is a bit funny considering I initially didn't like either of them). :(

Another great episode. I love a good old fashioned time loop episode and this one delivered in spades. Every time a sensible explanation (the Groundhog Day "you must do something for someone" idea, the time clock, Eve doing something evil at that site) came up, it turned out to be a red herring until finally the time experiment that Jack figured must exist turned out to be true. Of course, I did pick the fact that "time maintence" guy knew about his firing before you should have known, but I wasn't sure if Jack did (but he's a very observant guy, so he probably connected the dots later).

I loved the Doctor Who reference (thrice!). I also liked Jack's sister, Lexi, and I'm glad she'll be around for a few episodes, at least.

I'm going to miss Nathan. :(

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

This one didn't thrill me. It didn't really seem to go anywhere, and Stark's death just sort of happened without much dramatic weight behind it within the episode.

7. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the episode, but the Carter-Alison-Stark dynamic is a very important part of the show. I don't know how this will be without that.

8. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

The triangle was getting old. It had to go somewhere. In a way, they have brought a new dynamic to it. Stark's death tears it asunder. There will be no romance anytime soon. We won't be waiting around for the shoe to drop. I'll miss Stark because he was snarky and egotistical. His relationship with Fargo was kinda cute. And I want to know what happened with that chip Beverly planted on him back in S1.

9. The Nth Doctor

While it's an important dynamic, I think Jack-Henry and Jack-Zoe are more important.

Hm, I've forgotten about Beverly planting a chip on him.

This might be typical "fanboy wishful thinking," but is anyone else seeing Nathan's "I'll see you around" as anything more than just a farewell?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  10. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    The promo for next week's show right at the very end was a bit jarring considering the moment.

I thought that it was an excellent episode. Will have to see how Carter's sister will playout.

11. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A more enjoyable episode then most Eureka episodes, but then again I love the time loop sci-fi stories.

I didn't think they would kill off such a major character, it will be interesting to see where the show goes now that Stark is gone. '

Also we're only a couple of episodes in but I'm already getting tired to the Degree product placement forced into Eureka.

12. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, the Degree product placements are annoying, but they're not too obvious (except for the shirt a couple of weeks ago). The actual commercials are hideous. Thank God for TiVo. :D

13. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was an excellent episode.

As for Stark being dead, that isnt necessarily the case. He could be stuck in time while the normal flow of time progressed for everyone else.

So, we learned there is a secret underground bunker in that area with all of the unusual radiation.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Awesome episode, even though I accidentally spoiled myself on who would die (why the heck did I open this thread before watching? :scream:). What exactly happened to Stark there, where he froze and then turned into those particles? I didn't understand what those were supposed to be.

15. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

Holy crap, I didn't see that coming.

But I guess nobody sees THE FUTURISTIC ODOR FIGHTING FORMULA OF DEGREE ABSOLUTE PROTECTION IT GOES ON CLEAR AND PROTECTS ALL DAY.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

You know what I've really liked about the last couple of episodes?

No Zane. :techman:

17. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

Well, I for think he will eventually come back from time to time. After all, this is a science fiction show and in science fiction death is very rarely permanent. Unless you're uncle Ben or Bruce Wayne's parents.

The only other way to have a permanent death for a main character is when the actor leaves the show for whatever reason.

I still like SG1s time loop episode though. There were some great images in that one. Especially them playing golf and General Hammond screaming at them for doing it.

But while it can be a pain to be stuck in a time loop for ages, there are some great advantages. You don't age and you get to learns lots of new skills.

But if you ever actually leave the time loop and you have fifty years of experience playing the guitar all of a sudden when just yesterday you had none can be disconcerting to those who were outside the time loop.

And if you learn the lottery numbers woo-hoo....

18. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Wow, what an episode, and a surprising ending. I found myself disliking the Stark character quite a bit, well-acted as he was, and was in the end hoping that Fargo was not sacrificed (thinking that Stark had 'character shielding')...that is a stunning development.

But considering how they had Stark the head, then Allison, then co-heads this year...

Yeah, I would think they would spend more time on the aftermath of what happened...or maybe it's just Scifi's promo decision.

I agree that the 'everything changes' thing is overused, but for Eureka promos it was a departure from the comic typical versions, and this time it lived up to the billing, methinks...

Agreed, not anything against the actor, but his character works best in a minor supporting role IMO. Plus we have Fargo! ;)

Those are often the case, but I think that sci-fi's reliance on that 'killed off then resurrected' line cheapens it, with some recent shows making it 'not a big deal' because 'no one really dies in scifi.' By contrast, say Desperate Housewives kills off characters and they do not magically return, of course that's not scifi...

That said, this interview with Ed Quinn before S3 began airing does not hint a bit about him leaving the show. He talks about filming the longer season (more episodes) and how it affects their schedule, so maybe he's coming back...

http://www.mediablvd.com/magazine/t..._changes_for_'eureka'_on_s3_200808061247.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  19. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I haven't seen it yet but if it is Stark that dies then they pretty much gave it away in the promo. that's just dumb.

20. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I found this one of the meatier stories-and I guess using FF to go through commersials pays off-I never saw it coming. Hell of an ending IMO!