Star Trek TNG Reboot coming?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by LtChange, May 26, 2014.

1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, I had such a crush on her when I was a kid. She was the hottest woman on TNG

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The very idea that CBS would reboot The Next Generation is obscene! How can "they" improve upon perfection? They'll never find someone with Sir Patrick Stewart's acting chops - that much is certain. It's bad enough they've already come out with revamps and redos of certain special effects and so forth in an attempt to jack up the price. Let's just allow this concept of a TNG reboot to die, mercifully ...

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Same could be said with TOS for the movies ;)

4. CaptainJon

CaptainJon Captain Captain

I could be mistaken but I thought a big reason TNG's effects were redone was because they had to remaster every frame of every episode for the HD of Blu-Ray. The effects wouldn't have held up. I thought everything was the same, just better quality. Unlike TOS's remaster which went all 1997-Star Wars on the effects.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Most of the effects weren't "redone". Just recomposited from the original film elements. When they couldn't find the elements, then they redid the effect. Some of the CGI was also upgraded to modern standards.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

upgraded to modern standards = redone

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, "redone" usually means that the effects were replaced by CGI. Recompositing from the original film elements is not "redoing" the shots.

8. GalaxyX

Even if it was "redone", what difference does it make? How is "upgrading all the visuals of a series that has the exact same actors and exact same stories even remotely similar to "Rebooting" with a totally different look with different actors and such?

There's no way any reimagining of TNG would come close to the original. It would definitely be radically different.

9. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

With the recent announcement of a Stargate reboot I suppose anything is possible. But I would prefer to stay in the 23rd century.

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Just hire Patrick Stewart again. He hasn't aged.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Unfortunately, I don't think he has any desire to put on the space pajamas again.

12. GalaxyX

lol that is so true :guffaw:

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Odd as it may sound, the same thing was said about replacing William Shatner.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? ;)

[​IMG]

15. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's interesting, actually, that because Sir Patrick Stewart was old and bald in TNG and even today, is still old and bald, that this somehow equates to not having aged.

He looks ... really decrepit now in a way that's kind of scarey, honestly. Like maybe he really needs to get started on his Bucket List. Actors, especially the great ones, almost don't seem real, somehow. They age so slowly, because of a little tuck here and there, along the way and a thick base of make-up, when they're onscreen. But sure enough, Time catches up with them and it's always a shock, like "how could that happen?" When The Shat, or Nimoy go ... I dread ... I so dread the mourning and lamentation STAR TREK fans are in for. And Stewart won't be very far behind, I'm afraid to say ...

16. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

After so many years of no Trek on tv, and the possibility of no future Trek, a reboot TNG sounds very exciting. The originial will always be there whether the reboot is any good or not.

17. GalaxyX

I suppose so. I really have no idea how they would even begin to approach doing a reboot TNG nowadays.

It would have to be hip and in style, JJ Abrams like.

There probably really wouldn't be any high concept Sci-Fi in it though, but rather it would be more nuBSG like, all dark and brooding.

18. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

^ This has had me imagining a recast TNG series done BSG style, maybe with the Federation at war or something. As long as it's good that's all I'm worried about, and be true to the spirit of the characters. I enjoy a good alternate universe, and if you're going to do something new with the characters, taking them in a different direction with the story could be interesting.
    Not that that is my preference. I'd be thrilled with some old fashioned optimistic exploration.

19. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's the part, I fear, that would get lost in translation. I never understood the seeming obsession by some (I'm not saying you, borgboy!) with war, death, and grimness. Sometimes I think the part about 'to explore strange, new worlds...to seek out new life and new civilizations' gets forgotten.

The "new, darker" take on some old properties is pretty tiring, in my opinion. In fact, it really has worked out well so few times, I'm surprised the idea is still trotted out so often.

If there was ever a time when we needed some hope and optimism, it's now.

20. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Kind of like Yesterday's Enterprise but throughout the whole series?