sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the trailer for NBC's Dracula:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jVcmDH43Y&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Official descriptions for NBC's Believe and Dracula

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The description for Almost Human makes me less interested. For one thing, it's immersed in the hackneyed cliche of AIs being emotionless by default, with emotion being an anomaly that makes them more "human." That's silly. Emotions are preset, hardwired responses to stimuli -- they'd be much simpler to simulate in an AI than cognitive thought. Most animal species have emotional responses. Even plants are capable of experiencing stress. It isn't emotion that makes us human, it's conscious thought and language. I preferred the approach of the previous robot-cop series, Mann and Machine: the android character was fully capable of emotion, and it wasn't portrayed as an anomaly or incongruity; she was simply emotionally immature because of her young age.

For another thing, it sounds like the show's going to be more preoccupied with the mysteries and secrets surrounding Urban's character and his past than on exploring the social ramifications of androids becoming a widespread part of society. I don't know, maybe the mystery will be tied into those questions... but I'm just getting a little tired of the formula that every drama has to have some deep hidden mystery or conspiracy to be unearthed. I kind of miss shows that are just about the case of the week and the characters' gradual development.

Odd coincidence that both this show and Defiance are set around the same time -- 2046 for Defiance, 2048 for this one. There have been different future-based shows set close together in time before, but rarely when they were so close in real time. Not to mention that last year's movie Looper was set partly in 2044. I wonder why thirty-odd years from now is such a popular setting lately.

Sleepy Hollow just sounds weird. I finally get why Ichabod Crane would be connected to something cataclysmic, through the tie-in between the Headless Horseman and the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but it's still an odd jumble of a concept and it doesn't seem particularly interesting.

Not sure what to make of Believe or Dracula yet. A Dracula with an American accent is off-putting, even with the explanation that he's posing as an American. And I'm not thrilled by Jessica De Gouw playing Mina. She's been underwhelming as Huntress on Arrow. But Merlin's Katie McGrath (who's playing Lucy Westenra, according to IMDb) is more of a draw.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't say anything seems appealing as of yet, but we'll see.

The thread is swimming along but Temis the Vorta hasn't been around. It is to be hoped she got a life rather than something dire.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I was thinking the same thing.

Dracula does look kind of interesting. Sleepy Hollow-- eh, but I may give it a shot, just out of love of the original. Believe and Almost Human interest me not at all.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Here are the trailers for Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCdHiZsSPjg&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFOEzR9zgUo&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, maybe Almost Human's approach to the whole AI-emotion thing isn't as bad as I assumed, if they're saying that a certain model was designed to be free of emotion. I suppose it's worth checking out, but it feels kind of derivative of stories I've seen before, including Alien Nation (and countless other "bigoted cop partnered with minority cop" movies) and the I, Robot movie (robot-hating cop with robot limb). And I think the scene of the cop destroying his first android partner is right out of Mann and Machine.

Sleepy Hollow still seems like a bizarre concept, but it might be worth checking out for the stranger-in-a-strange-land elements (I tend to like stories like that). I'm not a big fan of conspiracy stories, though. This one feels like it's drawing somewhat on National Treasure (secrets of the Founding Fathers) crossed with supernatural elements.

8. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Huh. Almost Human looks almost good!

Mostly because of Karl Urban, though, as I'm usually not a fan of cop shows, supernatural or otherwise.

Sleepy Hollow looks slick, but the premise remains pretty bizarre. (and not in a good way)

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Looking forward to Almost Human, although it's well-worn territory.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Those both look fun. I give Almost Human the better chance of lasting more than 2 seasons.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I could barely make it through the Almost Human trailer, let alone an episode. :rommie:

Sleepy Hollow. I don't know. Ichabod Crane looks more like a 21st Century male model than the Ichabod Crane of literature. Some of the scenes look funny ("Starbucks"), some do not ("I'm authorized to use this gun"). The premise of conspiracies and competing covens and Biblical revelations is like a patchwork of derivations. And "from the producers of Star Trek" makes me want to run in the opposite direction.

But it's Sleepy Hollow and involves the Revolution, so I'll probably watch the first episode. It doesn't look like it will engage me, though.

12. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Two questions for anyone who still likes me. Whet's the new James Spader thriller called. It looks like silence of the lambs, and in the sci-fi realm, what is that upcoming Tom Cruise flick based on a Japanese/Chinese graphic novel called, or I think iwas Tom Cruise, 'cause I'd like to take a look at the material as I googled it once and found it interesting but forgot the title. It had a laughing man in it.

Right now 'Elementary' and 'Hannabal' are my favs. Also does anyone know if Burn notice is still in production. I guess not obviously because it's such an old show but I'm hooked on it and a little obsessed with it. Man that guy puts himself in dangerous situations all the time. I would see a movie based on that. Also was the A-Team movie worth watching. Loved the series. Who didn't?

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Blacklist.

All You Need Is Kill.

The upcoming seventh season will be its last.

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The official descriptions of ABC's Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.l.E.L.D., Once Upon A Time In Wonderland and Resurrection

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I'm surprised that Once Upon a Time in Wonderland is on the fall schedule in its own timeslot. They were initially planning to use it as a limited bridge series for when Once Upon a Time is on hiatus, but they're using a new reality show as that bridge series instead.

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Thank you OOMVM. That was very kind. Is "all You Need is Kill' the name of a graphic novel?

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

18. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far most of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff I've seen for next season looks great.
    My ranking based on level of interest based on the trailers would be:
    Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D
    Once Upon A Time In Wonderland
    Almost Human
    Dracula
    Sleepy Hollow
    Resurrection

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

TNT has one SFF show among in the development slate they just announced: