What did you like about Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Amaris, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

That's one of the scenes I hated in the film. Logan, Berman and Baird completely whitewashed that whole galactic milestone. The Enterprise went to Romulus! That's more important for the Federation's foreign relations than what happened in TUC (there the Enterprise just met the Chancellor's ship, it didn't actually go to Qo'noS). Such a let-down.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fairness, how else could it have been handled? Long drawn out scenes of politicians back slapping each other whilst discussing the historical significance and political ramifications?

Isn't the the kind of thing that essentially 'killed' Star Trek and led to whizz-bang-million-mile-an-hour-ADD-explosion-fest of Trek XI?

As someone with a Trek XI avatar, you can't have your cake and eat it.

3. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Besides. during the Dominion War, the Bellerophon visited Romulus, and things between the Feds and Rommies seemed much warmer in general. Coming so soon after the war, the Enterprise visiting might not have had quite the same significance, even though relations had clearly cooled somewhat.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, there are many ways to do a scene that's up tempo yet significant. I wasn't too fond of that scene either because while Picard may have been standing in the senate chamber, he was only there because the senate had been killed, so not quite the same.

Oh, that's nonsense.

J.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched a few scenes again... aw, everyone looks so goddamn tired in this movie. Even in the wedding scene, which should actually be a very happy moment, everyone is looking like they don't want to be there. And when we see the Enterprise the first time, the theme is played in a very sad and bitter way. No wonder that the movie bombed.

The Undiscovered Country was a send off movie, too. But it was energetic, the music was positive (dark, but positive). Not sad, not tired.

6. Amaris

True, some of them looked tired, but I see that as a part of the movie's point. Picard is tired, because he's losing his "right hand" and his "conscience", and they are moving on to bigger and better things. Actually, Patrick Stewart said it best in his interview. That being said, the dune buggy scene was quite energetic and one of my favorite moments is where Data is talking about unsafe velocities and Picard's just enjoying the hell out of himself. :D

J.

7. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

The dune buggy scene is idiotic. That whole sequence could have been removed in favour of more character scenes.

I mean, I can almost accept starfleet making a wheeled vehicle (and from the sound of it, it ran on something more sophisticated than an internal combustion engine), so I am OKAY with it. BUT WHY THE HELL WOULD THE REMANS ALSO HAVE CARS?! That makes NO sense.

Hell, if the scene was deemed absolutely necessary (it's not), then give the Remans hover vehicles - at least that would've been something more exciting/dynamic/made sense.

8. Bones2

^
    Those weren't the Remans.

9. Shazam!

Go on.
    Not really. We're never going to get anything even remotely like the Nemesis/Romulan Senate scene in the new Trek films because everything is far too 'new' and doesn't carry the weight of 40+ years of Trek/Romulan history. I appreciate that Nemesis took a few moments to acknowledge its significance.

10. Shazam!

Who were they? The fact that there is confusion highlights how silly the scene was. I also hated how the buggy had a great big gun on the back of it. It would've been far cooler if Worf just used his rifle.

11. ThePlumsofWrath

ThePlumsofWrath Commander

There was nothing redeeming about this movie in my opinion. I watched it once and have never seen it again.

12. Amaris

What do you mean? Movies and television accomplish this every day. Inside of two hours, a movie can flesh out characters, fill in background and move the story forward. Several words or phrases can create entire personal histories. For example, in the movie Twister, our very first scenes are about a small rural family caught up in a deadly tornado. Inside those few minutes we learn the entire motivation of why one of the protagonists continually hunts down and tries to find better early warning systems for people in the path of the aforementioned tornadoes. All of this happens inside of a few minutes at best. Good storytelling can make it work.

I'm talking about having an avatar of Trek XI and not being able to comment on something in Nemesis. It's nonsense that someone can't do both.

J.

13. ThePlumsofWrath

ThePlumsofWrath Commander

Twister in one of the greatest movies ever made along with Weird Science and The Big Lebowski.

Hollywood at it's finest. Is there a boy from the 80's out there who WASN'T changed in some way by Kelly Le Brock's shower scene from Weird Science?

14. Shazam!

I'd like to know how it could've been handled differently in Nemesis.
    Ah right. I just found it odd how someone with a Trek XI avatar was lamenting on Nemesis' missed opportunity regarding the Federation's foreign relation policy in light of the Enterprise's arrival at Romulas given that Trek XI has been lauded for it's lack of Starfleet fuddy-duddies sat round a table discussing politics. I wasn't really specifically referring to that poster. Just making an off-the-cuff remark.

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    They were the pre-warp denizens of Kolarus III, the planet where the Enterprise located B-4's remains.

16. Bones2

Kolarans. I was never confused as to who they were. Hearing that the new Praetor is Reman means that they're probably not going to beam down to a planet and shoot at some.

17. Amaris

Yeah, I figured they were just the planet's indigenous species.

J.

18. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

They seemed to be the cinematic version of the "Hard Headed Aliens of the Week (TM)" to borrow a phrase from Jammer's site. Why did they start shooting at Picard and Co.? Did they contact the Enterprise first? It seems like the only justification for them being there was that it was Their Desert and the movie needed its first action scene. Picard: "This doesn't feel right." :p

19. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

Well, not being Remans make it less idiotic. It just makes it a pointless action scene.

20. Amaris

They didn't seem like the friendliest group of people either way you look at it. They appeared to be rather insular, which would make sense when you see something you don't recognize and you think you're the only people in the universe. We'd probably react the same way, who are we kidding? ;)

Most action scenes are pointless. In First Contact, most of the holodeck ballroom scene is pointless and yet, there it is (although, personally, it's one of my favorite scenes in the movie).

J.