TNG: Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 28, 2012.

?

Rate Immortal Coil.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Above Average

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does the book have annotations for all the reference?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No. And I never needed one. :shrug:

3. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I just want to thank you all for getting me back into reading Star Trek books. I was an avid reader up until about six months ago, but I just became so bored by it all. Then I saw this thread and a remember enjoying this book when it first came out. This time, I really enjoyed it. Being a fan of The Original Series, I had no problem getting all of the references and it is a credit to Jeffrey Lang that all of these cameos wasn't to the detriment of the story.

Yes, there are a couple of criticisms that other posters have outlined, but that was pushed aside by the excellent addition of Rhea McAdams and "Emil Vaslovik". I enjoyed it so much, I moved straigh on to The Persistence of Memory. :)

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, you do if you know TOS. And "The Questor Tapes". Each new cameo is a little revelation and you end up anticipating more and more.

Some did. Understandably, TNG-only fans thought they'd missed something important when they realised how many TOS cameos there were. But they were mostly easter eggs, secret little winks for those in the know.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, with that in mind, the same is true about Good Omens.

Damn, I really need to start working on the Discworld books...

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I'm halfway through this novel and really like how Data was written in this novel.He certainly got more charcter developement than some of the older TNG books I've read recently.This is a great book I really like it alot.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed the novel but found the Questor connection to be overly cute. I felt the same way about the Millenium Falcon showing up in Vanguard.

It did feel a bit small universe but it was interesting to sort of tie things together, just to see how they'd fit.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The Millennium Falcon was in Vanguard? When, where, who was the owner? Was the ship design hinted at or the name called out loud? :wtf:

As far as I know, the MF is a 24th century Federation starship participating the Battle of Sector 001 (First Contact). :borg:

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, actually it was mynocks that showed up in Vanguard. Or nymocks, to use their devious alias. They were chewing on power cables, of course.

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I think RPJOB was referring to a ship described in the series' fifth novel, Precipice. In a scene featuring T'Prynn and Pennington, on page 74, last paragraph:

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh! I missed that. :)

12. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^That's awesome, I missed it too:lol:

13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's also some cuteness around "nymock" creatures (play on "mynock") in the same section IIRC.

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved that, one of the geekiest moments in TrekLit. I had to read it three times to make sure I didn't misread it.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think I ever would've read that as a Millennium Falcon reference. When I read "teardrop-shaped," I visualize something that's shaped that way three-dimensionally, kinda like the fuselage of SpaceShipOne or the Protector from Galaxy Quest. To me, the Falcon is a saucer-shaped ship with "pincers" on the front.

And why is a reference to Star Wars geekier than a whole novel about Star Trek?

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Ha!:lol:

I missed that entierly! Nicely done. :)

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Because if you know that much about two geeky franchises, it's geek²! :bolian:

18. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I wanted to read this book every since I read "Cold Equations." I finally got around to it and I really liked it. I wish I had read it first. I like how it tied together event from TOS and TNG. The use of the M-5 computer was a nice touch. Great characters, great story. A fun read.

19. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Just interviewed Jeff about the book on Literary Treks and it's out now! I have to say, just read this book and love it! To me it's a watershed book in Trek lit and really made me like Data, a character that I have never been that keen on. Well done!

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just listened to your latest podcast.You had a great discussion with Jeffrey Lang about Immortal Coil. It's one of my favorite Data Novels.:techman: