Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph" trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We took the kids to go see it yesterday, I thought it was very clever, and while it was a good movie, I can't claim it as great. My 10 year old son loved it, but I know a lot of the old school video game references went right over his head. My 4 year old daughter mostly slept through it, and my wife was ambivalent towards it.

2. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I give Wreck It Ralph an A-.

I give the short before an A.

I give my daughter a smack for talking too loudly during both ;-)

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I was wondering if any kids these days would know what the Konami code is. :lol:

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it today and I thought it was great. Really, really enjoyed the film. It had nostaglia, terrific voice acting, and a lot of heart. I loved the world they created here.

I'm embarrassed to say that I though Ralph was voiced by Seth Rogen the entire time. It sounded exactly like him.

Paperman was a fantastic short as well.

5. Unicron

I guess they do sound kind of alike, though I think also it's easy to distinguish between the two. Some people had negative feelings on Silverman's performance, but I think she did a good job personally.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Really? Most of the reviews I've seen either liked her, or didn't share any kind of opinion on her.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I likewise haven't seen any negative reaction against Silverman.

8. Unicron

I've seen a few reviews that have said they felt Reilly was a bit better at delivering funny lines, though that could be seen as more of a writing issue, and others that have said they found Vanellope an annoying character. But for the most part there have not been very many that I've seen.

9. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Vanellope was supposed to be annoying. Silverman nailed it.

10. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Whether they do or whether they don't, there was plenty of laughter in the theater when it was used.

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got back from seeing it, and I have to say that it was hands-down the best movie I've seen all year.

I absolutely loved the story and the characters. I was particularly fond of Vanellope, whom I personally think stole the show. I totally wasn't expecting the story to end up going where it did, but thought everything about it completely worked. It was also great seeing so many classic characters from existing video game franchises.

IGN was completely right when they said it was the best video game movie in history and the best film of the year, and highly recommend it. If you haven't already seen it, do so ASAP.

12. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw this last night with a group of friends. Absolutely fantastic. I would have loved to have seen more old school game characters/references (they loaded them up at the beginning but as the film went on, there were fewer and fewer) but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the story was.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the film, and hope they do a sequel! I do wish a little more time was spent in the Gears of War universe, but that's okay. Just think every movie can involve different game worlds! Awesome!

14. Unicron

I'd imagine that's one thing they can expand in the sequels, if there are any.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen a bunch of references to the Konami code being one of the old school references, but I'm not familiar with it. So what is it? I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know what role it plays in it, but I figured it might help to be familiar with since everyone is talking about it.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Anyone else think that Jane Lynch's character was supposed to be Fem-Shep from Mass Effect? She certainly looked like my version!

17. Unicron

It's best known for use in Contra, where inputting the code at the home screen would get you lots of lives and continues and such. Konami made the NES port of Contra among others, hence the name. It was originally created for the home port of Gradius (1985), which the code's inventor judged to be too difficult for some players. The code is still being used on modern games today.

One of the scenes I really liked was the conversation between Ralph and Gene in the empty penthouse.

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a negative opinion or anything like that, but a certain "raspy" qaulity in Vannilape's voice when stressed made me mistakenly assume Cree Summer voiced the character.

My second cousin, her husband, their two kids and I finally saw it yesterday, briefly reviving a "family tradition" of catching a matinee after the Thanksgiving gorge fest. I, personally, hadn't been to the movies since either Abrams' Trek or Avatar, whichever was released later.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It had a lot of heart. And the "preamble" to the Fix-it Felix game (and thus the movie itself) clearly establishes Ralph as a "wronged" character so we immediately have empathy with him. Plus, its "in universe" physical (cyberspatial?) laws seem to pass the "fridge logic" test. At least, I haven't found myself going, "Hey, wait a minute! That bit doesn't make sense!"

Sgt. Calhoun...What I say that won't be considered a "spoiler"? Okay, here's two. Ironically, in past Disney productions, Calhoun's "sharp" features would normally have been applied to the "beautiful" villainess. And, somewhere, one of Shirow's "Intron Depot" fems is shivering in just her undies because Calhoun has "borrowed" her armor! :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

No Jennifer Hale, so no sale. :p (Though if you were really paying attention, you might've caught her saying "Escape Pod activated" in a blink-and-you-miss it bit.)

But there was the general "kickass female soldier" similarity, yeah. (Though I couldn't help thinking her Most Tragic Backstory Ever wasn't that bad compared to "Colonist Sole Survivor" from ME1 ;).)

Loved this movie! Everybody was fantastic, and it had so much heart. I'd be down for a sequel for sure.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but we only saw the movie yesterday. Took my eldest to see it, and he loved it. Whilst it dipped in a few places, nothing major, generally I thought it was a fantastic movie. Terrific VAs, lovely animation, a brilliant concept, and a lot of heart to the film.

Also, I absolutely adored the 'Paperman' short beforehand - utter genius from start to finish. All six minutes of it....!

Bravo Disney.