SUPERMAN(2012) Inspired By Secret Origin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's the only thing you got out of the article? Jeez...

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I don't see anything wrong with doing the origin again here...Donnerverse is it's own...the TV shows are their own...why can't the new Superman movie have it's own take on the origin? It worked for Batman.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Since when did that interpretation originate with Bryan Singer? Aside from Clark being bumbling, it's no different from John Byrne's take and every other post-Crisis take I'm aware of. There's always been a distinction drawn between the "real" Clark Kent that Jonathan and Martha raised and the "mild-mannered reporter" Clark Kent persona that he shows to the world. That persona may not be a bumbler in the Byrne or S:TAS or Lois and Clark interpretations, but he's still a facade.

That's hardly true. If you give that money to the wrong people, you'll just get artless, overindulgent visuals. Or else you'll get crude visuals that cost far more than they should because the people who made them didn't know how to spend money efficiently, or blew most of it on personal indulgences instead of putting it on the screen. Money is just a tool, and like any tool, its effectiveness depends on the skill and judgment of the wielder. The fallacy that you can achieve anything just by throwing enough money at it is responsible for a lot of bad filmmaking.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like money. Pour it my way!

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I had that thought as well.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the first really promising thing I've heard about this fucking movie. About time! :techman:

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Smallville did that ten times better: learning he was an alien freaked Clark the hell out, but it didn't make him question if he was the Kents' son. Ick.

8. Admiral_Young

Yeah "Smallville" just had him reject his Kryptonian heritage altogether...in fact ten years later he's still rejecting it.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Pretty much. Seriously, how many more times do we have to see Superman's origins? After the four Christopher Reeve films, Lois & Clark, Smallville, the '40s serials & the '50s tv show, plus eighty years worth of comic books, pretty sure anyone goin' into see a Superman movie has a pretty good idea of how he got here.

If they're goin' with origin again, why not mess with it a bit, like Red Son, where Superman's a communist, or something?

Glad I wasn't the only one.

10. Admiral_Young

How many times do people have to bitch about not wanting an origin every time a story is posted that one MIGHT appear in a movie. Ooooh let's freak out about another origin story. The fact is that isn't how screenplays for "first" movies are crafted. Movie execs don't give a rats ass if we are aware of source material. They're mindset is the people who aren't. That's just the way things are and will always be. I don't mind an origin sequence at all, especially if it's at all crafted like "Batman: Begins".

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I liked Batman Begins better than The Dark Knight. :shrug:

12. Mr. Adventure

If people still complain about movies being in 3D and movies being remade I'm going to say I'm not crazy about seeing another origin story. :p

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah sorry about my rant...just needed to get that out :)

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only thing Smallville has ever done well is sell advertising time - and that only by weblet standards. :lol:

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm ok with an origin story, i would just like Superman to fight someone that will challenge him. leave Luthor out or have him play a secondary role.

16. Admiral_Young

I wouldn't mind if Lex was present but as suggested in a secondary role, perhaps in the "shadows" waiting and observing.

17. Mr. Adventure

I agree about a different threat but if they have Lex I wouldn't mind somebody who wasn't from the 78 movie mold.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Lex done well can challenge Superman -- but in an interesting way, on an intellectual level, rather than just brute force. There's more to Superman than just raw power; what makes him Superman is the judgment with which he wields his power. So a story that forces Superman to employ ingenuity to win is an effective one.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a cinematic interpretation of a different villain than Luthor or Zod.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Speaking of which...any interest in doing a Superman novel Christopher? I did enjoy your Spider-Man novel, I know there must be a story brewing in that brain of yours some where for Supes :)

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

If they are using the lame Geoff Johns origin then it's going to be Lex as the main adversary.

Of course if it does well and they continue with adapting Johns to the big screen, it'll be Zod and then Brainiac, which covers the three main Superman villain archetypes.