VOY Fan Theories

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by RagazzaMatta, Sep 7, 2015.

1. RagazzaMatta

RagazzaMatta Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A fun read but a lot to get through so I'll save comment until I've looked through them properly (excellent toilet reading material).

I've never bought the Neelix is a paedophile stuff though. Essentially it seems to be based on the idea that Kes is two years old but that's judging her based on human life-span criteria which is obviously silly. It's like accusing a human who screws a 200 year old Vulcan of being a necropheliac because a human equivalent would be dead at that age.

I like the idea of Naomi serving the Hirogen lemonade and I definitely agree with Janeway being kicked upstairs to keep her away from the front lines.

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I just mentioned in another thread I've long had the theory that the Caretaker and/or Suspiria caused the Ocampa to have short lives and/or only one pregnancy as a way of controlling their population.

4. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Those were an interesting read. I don't have too much of an opinion on them but I do wish one of you artists out there would make the characters into their fairy-tale counterparts that are listed, I would love to see that.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

My favored theory is that Janeway's relative inexperience, the pressure of command and especial her poor decision to destroy the array resulted in Janeway experiencing psychological problems, behavior swings, manic/depression, moodness, etc.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about this one:

The 'warship Voyager' from "Living Witness" is real, and was from a version of the Mirror Universe where the Terran Empire still existed. Hell, that whole episode might have taken place in the MU.

(Doesn't explain the Doctor, but that could have been an old, archival copy.)

7. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

The idea that silver blood Tom Paris committed suicide is plausible. He did just sort of...disappear.

8. borgboy

I suspected the Borg Queen was Seven's mother during the original run.
    I have thought that the Ocampa have multiple births, that's the only way they wouldn't die out in a few generations with only one pregnancy per female. Her single birth with Lynnis (and her son in String Theory novels) could be due to them being hybrids, or just that single births are rare but still happen.

9. hux

As far as I'm concerned, the duplicate doctor has somehow ended up in the mirror universe and while he successfully convinces Quarren of Voyager's innocence, the version of events Quarren and the Kyrians and Vaskans understood to be the truth... actually was.

10. Jeffe525

Jeffe525 Commander Red Shirt

Good point. I never thought of that. If single births were the norm. The Ocampa population would be halved (at best) every generation (what, say 4 years?) and go extinct pretty fast. Let's do some fun math.

That can be represented as an exponential growth problem: A=Pe^(rt), where A=accumulate population (let's say, to reach a final population of 1% of the original), P=the beginning population (let's just say 100 to represent 100%), e=exponential e (about 2.718), r=rate of decline (-.5 in this case), and t=time (measured in generations).

If we do the math, t=9.2 generations. Assuming an average 4-year generation, the Ocampa population would dwindle down to almost nothing in less than 40 years.

Good theory. The Caretaker must have been imposing external forces to manage the population, maybe even more so towards the end as he got weaker.

11. borgboy

Perhaps the Caretaker was deliberately causing the single births rather than the hypothetical norm of multiples as a way of reducing their needed resources, and possibly letting the race die out quietly rather than letting the Ocampans die due to lack of water, power to run their tech, etc.
    There is that scene in Before and After where Kes's father says she's his favorite daughter, implying Kes has at least one sister. Having a sibling in a species with only one pregnancy would imply multiple births.

12. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That theory was mine. :)

13. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a Troper, and quite a few of those theories were posted by me. The one I hold strongest to is that Ocampans affect the minds of their mates, either with phermones or some telepathic mumbo-jumbo. This would explain...

- Why Neelix was so insanely jealous of Kes, then suddenly lightened up after she left the ship

- Why Tom was so wildly out of character when married to Kes in "Before and After," but was back to his old self as soon as Kes traveled back to a point before they were "together."

- Why, in Kes's on words, "On Ocampa we chose one mate for life, and there's no jealousy or distrust!"

Sorry to people who like Kes, I'm not saying there was no genuine love between her and Neelix or Tom. But I *am* saying that the obsessive jealousy from Neelix and out-of-character-gushing from Tom didn't just come from Kes being oh so speshul. This is "Star Trek," not "Twilight." An alien female doesn't affect male crewmembers like that just because she's "so unique and special."

14. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

That's good.

I always hate it when a character is 'active' during the first part of an episode and then is never seen again...and there is no explanation.

I always wondered how the P/T shippers felt about the fact that Tom told Kess he loved her but AFAIK he never said that to B'elanna...onscreen anyway. I was leaning toward 'Ocampa magic.'

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Two possibilites spring to mind

Muliple children from the same pregnancy i.e. Twins
    Different Mother.

16. T'Girl

I favor that twins and triplets are more common than singles. Although singles do happen.

17. hux

Yes. This all makes total sense (especially if you believe that homosexuality isn't seen in Trek because future culture somehow went backwards on the issue).

No, because Kashyk mentions them being Vulcans and Betazoids so even if they can hide it, he still knows they are from telepathic species and would still take them into custody.

Sounds like the doctor to me. God bless him for this.

Makes sense to me.

Course Oblivion Janeway was a stunning idiot. She behaved exactly as the real Janeway would so yeah, the writers probably are saying "we know we screwed her up."

Aww, that's kinda sweet. Like a puppy. I like it.

It would serve her right, the time meddling bitch!

18. RagazzaMatta

RagazzaMatta Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

1. That is awesome! TV Tropes has been one of my favorite sites for years. It was indispensable in film school!

2. That makes a lot of sense, especially about Tom in Before and After.

19. T'Girl

Hole in theory.

20. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My theory is due to Naomi's half K'tarian physiology, her mother Samantha carried her in the womb longer than a normal human pregnancy. If Sam was already pregnant when Voyager left DS9, it seems like her pregnancy lasted over a year.