Vanguard book 4 Open Secrets

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cbspock, Jul 13, 2014.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am about halfway through the book. I like how it is dealing with the consequences of the past 3 books as the story evolves. The book isn't as fast paced as the other books. The book feels like a set up episode.

-Chris

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I agree. I also thought Open Secrets was more set up, but I dug the whole T'Prynn mind battle as well as the Jinoteur aftermath, and the whole Reyes situation. I liked that this book effectively set up the "second half" of the Vanguard saga. Enjoy the rest of the book :)

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just started reading this book a few days ago. and I like seeing the consequences of what happened to the characters in the first 3 books. And Commodore Reyes court martial. The T'Prynn storyline is interesting.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree you guys. I remember when this one came out a lot of people where disappointed with it, but I really enjoyed it.

5. cbspock

I am really enjoying the T'Prynn story arc and her battle of the minds in this book. The Reyes situation is heating up as the court martial is starting, and I really love how they weave in Balance of Terror and the tensions with the Klingons as we are leading up to the events of Errand of Mercy. It sure makes the original series universe feel big.

The books so far make me feel like I am watching an expanded episode of the original series with some DS9 sprinkled in the mix. Which makes sense since DS9 was the one series that paid attention to the original series.

-Chris

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

As in, the other series didn't?

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading this book the other da.y I really liked Sobon and T'nel they were really intriguing Vulcans in this book.I really liked the Balance of Terror being mentioned in this book and the relationship between the Vulcans and Romulans. That a certain group of Vulcans knew all this time. And the fallout that's happened with earth and Starfleet finding out the truth at long last.

8. cbspock

TNG went out of its way to ignore it especially in the beginning. When they did the episode Sarek, they actually had to fight to get a mention of Spock into the episode. Just listen to RDM's commentary on Relics.

-Chris

9. cbspock

This is cool, so I am reading chapter 52, where Reyes is reading his book "Sunrise on Zeta Minor"

"Reyes had finally gotten to the good part of Sunrise on Zeta Minor, with the two fugitives escaped from the underground prison and now on the run from the malfunctioning android prison guard, when his evening of quiet reading went straight to hell"

After reading that, I realized it was a reference to a Buck Rogers in the 25th Century episode. Buck goes undercover to break out a prisoner who is played by Jamie Lee Curtis.

Nice reference!!

-Chris

10. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally finished this novel. I already enjoyed Reap the Whirlwind very much, but I especially love stories that deal with the aftermath of major events. So Open Secrets really delivered on that side for me, just as much as it sets the stage for the future.

I especially liked Reyes' trial. It wasn't about refuting the charges but about getting to explain why he did what he did. Do the judge and the prosecutor show up again in later books? I got the impression that they weren't quite so happy with the sentence so they could reappear in an appeal...

I definitely appreciated all the emotions surrounding the trial, Reyes' leaving the station, the reactions to his apparent death. I also enjoyed the fact that Reyes' replacement wasn't portrayed as the "villain" taking over from the hero. For now, though, Nogura comes across as a bit bland, if highly competent. So I'm looking forward to him getting a bit more colour.

As much as T'Prynn's plotthread is, for now, divided from the others, it still held my attention. It was very interesting to once again delve into the various facets of Vulcan culture - and is the ritual meant to be some variation of the one applied at the end of Star Trek III? I liked Sobon very much and hope he'll show up again. I wasn't so fond of Pennington's... well, for lack of another word... obsession with T'Prynn. But I guess, after his redemption in his professional life he had to confront his feelings for the one who caused all his troubles - but, I don't know, at some points he seemed a bit like a puppy infatuated with the otherwise so unapproachable damsel in distress. While he serves as identification point for the reader in that everything on Vulcan gets explained to him (and to us), I'd rather have seen him on the station accompanying the trial. I'm looking forward to continuing T'Prynn's story, though. What are her plans now?

Liked the parts advancing the main plot, especially the inclusion of the Tholians. At one point, though, I found myself shaking my head and wondering why all the different factions don't just get it in their head to work together in solving the puzzle and finding a means to fight the Shedai - who are, after all, a threat to all of them.

Loved the allusions to "Balance of Terror", "Court Martial", "Arena", "Star Trek V", the Genesis project, Nogura's keeping an eye on Kirk, Enterprise's "Judgment". Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing the consequences of "Errand of Mercy".

What I didn't like so much was the repetition of past events - for example, reading once about Pennington's past beef with T'Prynn is enough, I don't need to read about that in every chapter he's in.

Overall: It has taken me years to come to this point but I'm really enjoying this series.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

A much younger Sobon has a supporting role in Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel.