Looking Back at the X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Toxteth O´Grady, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Yes, I've been reading about that a little bit. It sounds interesting, although I still haven't gotten around to playing the Wing Commander games.

I know. I should be ashamed.

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a while but I don't think so. This was a Windows version, although Windows at the time was really just running on top of DOS.

Windows. Like I said it's been a while, but I think the issues had mostly to do with the sound and not recognizing a modern joystick properly. The graphics would glitch during the cutscenes too.

I may have to try again, just to see exactly what's happening. I also need to look to see exactly which version it is, since apparently there were two different TF Collector's CD versions, one in 1995 and one in 1998, but I think it's the earlier one.

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Don't be. :)

I should be ashamed.
    The only versions of Wing Commander I had were WC III and IV on PlayStation. :)

Oh....wait....I also had Wing Commander on SNES.

But never any WC game on a PC.

I am ashammmmmeeeeeedddddddd!!!! :brickwall:

4. Toxteth O´Grady

Recently they had every Wing Commander game for sale, dirt cheap, on GOG.com. I think I got the entire thing for $10 or so. I still haven't played them yet, though.

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have all the PC versions of the Wing Commander series, as well as the first one on the Amiga. I know some people managed to get the dos ones to play on Android but I haven't tried it personally as I would prefer to play with a joystick.

Wonder if the same could be done with the old X-wing games?

6. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The X-wing series was, judging by addictive qualities, coded from pure heroin.

I live in perpetual fear of someone, somewhere, working out a MMO based on this series where you upgrade your fighter/smuggler/trader/capital ship.

Should such a game ever come out I am ensured of an untimely end having starved to death in a basement with nothing but my PC, a joystick, a bottle of scotch, and a smile.

7. martok2112

Likely same here...

Although it'd be cap'n and cokes for me. :)

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The PC Gaming Wiki is probably the best place to look if you're trying to get older games to run on modern systems. Or having PC gaming issues in general.

The alternative is to wait until GoG release it....which may be as long as never knowing Disney.

I personally have *very* fond memories of these games, but I'm not so sure they'll hold up all that well.
    Mostly I remember being blown away by this intro:-
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R77yH1_g_cY[/yt]
    It almost felt like an actual Star Wars movie for a minute there! ;)

9. Toxteth O´Grady

Oh, man, in my case they'd have to wade through a pool of Mountain Dew cans and pizza boxes.

Seriously, though, if they made that, I'd be all over it!

X-Wing is kicking my ass currently. I'm on the 4th mission of the first TOD and I'm just getting torn to shreds by the near-endless amount of TIEs that are getting launched while medical shuttles transport wounded Rebels to the medical frigate.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Same here, I loved that game.

And I have to disagree, they hold up incredibly well.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Didn't Star Wars Galaxies have space combat?

I think what happened is the 1st-person space shooter was deemed "played out" eventually and that's why they didn't keep coming out with new X-Wing style games. Chris Roberts was partly responsible for playing the genre out, as his WC series was perceived to have jumped the shark and then he made a film that is on a lot of worst-of-all-time lists.

In addition to this, the novelty of 1st-person space shooters started to wane, since I guess there isn't enough visual stimuli in having a starfield as a background vs., let's say, a complex 1st-person shooter. So they weren't the graphical showcases like the first X-Wing was originally.

Now we're entering an era where PC gaming as a whole is looking rather shaky, and Chris Roberts doing Star Citizen is kind of a hail-mary pass to revitalize this genre.

Maybe with the return to classic SW-era feel under the animated Rebels and the new films we'll wee another round of games in this genre. I'd very much like to do a seamless DS trench run that utilizes today's hardware, maybe even add Occulus Rift for the cockpit.

12. martok2112

Some very interesting points, mos. :)

Yeah, the Wing Commander movie definitely wasn't great. It was, for me, mildly enjoyable....but definitely seemed to fly in the face of what the Wing Commander games were.

It was sad that the first person space fighter/flight sim seemed to go the way of the dodo. I think the most recent attempt at rejuvenating it was a game called DarkStar One: Broken Alliance. It was an open world, first person space fighter sim (of sorts). I have it on both PC and (later released on) Xbox 360 (in fact, I am getting ready to play the 360 version now). Not a bad game....but it was more of a sleeper. I don't think it caught on...on either platform.

I also love playing Star Wars Jedi Starfighter on my PS2 (still!) Unlocking the Republic Gunship and using it is always a blast. And it can switch between third and first person views.

I would love to see a glorious return to the first person starfighter/starship flight sim. Hopefully the release of Rebels, and the new Star Wars movies will aid that. Since Lucasarts is pretty much shut down, and the Star Wars properties seem to be split up among other developers, we'll have to wait and see as far as SW titles go.

I was anxiously awaiting Star Wars 1313 (which was slated to be the series' first Mature rated Star Wars title), but that got s***canned when Lucasarts was dissolved.

There is, supposedly still, Star Wars Battlefront III in the works from DICE. I enjoyed the first two Battlefronts. I hope III will be a massive improvement when (and IF) it hits PC and Next Gen consoles.

13. Toxteth O´Grady

Yeah, since LucasArts is currently gone, the chances of a new X-Wing game are slim. I'd love another FPS in the same vein as the original Dark Forces with no references to the Jedi or having Jedi powers.

They did present the new Battlefront at E3 with a teaser trailer and no gameplay footage, but it seems like it's on track to be released next year.

14. martok2112

Yeah, that's what Star Wars 1313 was supposed to be like. You were supposed to play a Bounty Hunter during the Rebellion era....and then I think at one point the devs said you were going to play Boba Fett...so the story would have to happen sometime before Return of the Jedi...unless they were doing some post-RotJ game where the Expanded Universe presupposes that Fett survived the Sarlaac in RotJ. (ala Dark Empire/Dark Empire II)

Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and every thing else I can cross....even if it hurts, or helps my falsetto. :D

15. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. the trend continues here:

http://www.slashgear.com/star-wars-x-wing-vs-tie-dreams-die-as-attack-squadron-axed-23330324/

When the jackbooted execuhacks decided space/flight combat sims were "deemed played out" they were a tad off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Thunder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warplanes

Most never realized the potential to transition the genre to the sort of RPG/FPS/MMO games that dominate the space today.

...except for those guys who've gotten filthy stinking rich...Nice work Gaijin.

16. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

There was a beta or something for a free-to-play Star Wars game featuring X-wings but it was cancelled I believe.

EDIT:Oops, beat me to it.