Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I noticed some things that need to be updated/changed with regards to the DS9, Voyager, and Vanguard lists:

* The DS9 "Primary Core Continuity" section needs to be updated so that it includes Zero Sum Game, and the DS9 "Connected" section needs to be updated so that it includes Rough Beasts of Empire, Paths of Disharmony, and the Mirror Universe anthology stories Saturn's Children and A Terrible Beauty

* The Voyager "Core Continuity" section needs to be updated so that it includes Kristen Beyer's forthcoming Children of the Storm

* The main Vanguard section needs to be updated so that it includes Kevin Dilmore and Dayton Ward's forthcoming What Judgments Come, and the Vanguard "Connected" section needs to be updated so that it includes Paths of Disharmony

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know if any of the IDW stuff, like "Year Four", "Romulans", "Spock: Reflections", or others have any connections? I connected "Klingons: Blood Wil Tell by the use of the term QuchHa, but I'm not sure about any others.

(And I just realized if the "Assignment: Earth series uses Aegis then it and "Crew" are connected.)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are few IDW/Pocket connections. Elements of K:BWT are referenced in some books, but that's about it.

All of John Byrne's IDW Trek comics have interconnections with each other. I think there's one issue of Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor that's a sequel to Assignment: Earth, Romulans: Pawns of War, and Crew all at once.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And the first issue of Infestation referred to McCoy's work with the "Frontier Medics Program", presumably a nod to Byrne's Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor.

This, of course, puts the Byrne stuff in the same multi-verse as IDW, Ghostbusters, GI Joe and Transformers. ;):lol:

5. Turtletrekker

Thanks. I think I have most of this in my update notes already, but everything helps. I need to find time soon to update this puppy. Really only minor and edits additions overall

6. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Dunno if this is too minor a reference or not, but in the SCE novella "Ishtar Rising", reference is made to the whole situation with Scotty helping to get the planet Rimillia un-tidally locked in the TOS novel "Twilight's End".

7. Turtletrekker

^Really? Sweet! :)

Nope, that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks! And just in time to go into my final notes I'm making for the update.:techman:

Although, a big part of me wants to wait until we know something "real" about DRG3's upcoming books. With David Mack's upcoming trilogy, we at least (think) we know that's it's TNG.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Nah, go ahead and update. Those books are all still in outline stages; anything we get that's concrete is still going to be really broad.

9. Turtletrekker

^ You talked me into it. ;)

Okay, so it's update time. Here is the very rough form of what I'm adding based on knowlege of new releases and comments made here and in other threads. If you note anything that I've missed, PLEASE let me know. I want to present our kind mods with as few and as simple of edits as possible.

For TOS (Which has BY FAR the most edits)...

Greg Cox mentioned in a thread that he used elements established in TNG's Debtor's Planet in the Eugenics Wars in regard to Ralph Offenhouse. Also, he took the name "Aegis" from DC comics. (Thanks to Greg Cox)

I'll go ahead and assume that Cox's portrayal of Shaun Christopher in The Rings of Time will be consistant with what he established in Eugenics Wars.

Cast No Shadows by James Swallow will feature DS9's Elias Vaughn.

Add the "Night Whispers" reference to Ex Machina. (Thanks to Christopher.)

Add Forgotten History by Christopher Bennett. (If given a DTI subtitle also create a DTI "series" sub-section.)

Currently untitled TOS 5-year-mission story by Ward and Dilmore

Twilight's End-mentioned in SCE

Additions to "The Rihannsu-verse" (Thanks especially to Christopher):

The "Wormhole trilogy"(?) (Can't think of a better name. "Gateways" was already taken. "Star-gate trilogy"? Suggestions? Help!) (Thanks to Ryan123450)

Ingrit Tompson from J.M. Dillard's books appears in "The Final Nexus".
    • The Abode of Life by Lee Corey
    • Chain of Attack by Gene DeWeese
    • The Final Nexus by Gene DeWese

Diane Carey's "George Kirk" duology
    • Final Frontier (used the "Rihannsu" model for the Romulans)
    • Best Destiny
    Consistant with "Though Hell Should Bar the Way" by Greg Cox from Enterprise Logs.

Other books consistant with the "Rihannsu-verse":

• Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan (utilizes McIntyre crewman "Snarl")
    • Shadow Lord by Lawrence Yep (references McIntyre's Sulu backstory)
    • How Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford (Utililized the Klinzhai model for Klingons established in The Final Reflection)
    • Dwellers in the Crucible by Margaret Wander Bonano(Utilizes Rihannsu and Klinzhai models for Romulans and Klingons)
    • Strangers from the Sky by Margaret Wander Bonano (mentioned in Spock's World)
    • Dreams of the Raven by Carmen Carter (Klinzhai model for Klingons)
    • Music of the Spheres-- by Margaret Wander Bonano (Unpublished but readily available novel by our own Garamet that utilized the Rihannsu model for Romulans. Contact her and she'll e-mail you a copy.)
    For TNG
    Add Debtor's Planet for it's Eugenics War connection.
    Move Indistinguishable From Magic from "one-shots" to "TNG"
    Add The Courage of Conscience here and in "Typhon Pact".
    Add "Shakedown" to PAD section.

For DS9
    Move A Stitch in Time and Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game from "Connected" to "Secondary Core Continuity"

Add to Secondary core continuity:
    Typhon Pact Rough Beasts of Empire (Sisko)
    Typhon Pact Paths of Disharmony (Shar)
    Indistinguishable From Magic (Nog)

Add to "connected":
    "Reservoir Ferengi" from Seven Deadly Sins by David A. McIntee
    Saturns Children (MU) by Sarah Shaw
    A Terrible Beauty (MU) by Jim Johnson
    Freedom Angst (MU) from Seven Deadly Sins by Britta Burdett Dennison
    Seeds of Dissent (MyU) by James Swallow

A question for the group-mind-- Should the Typhon Pact novels with DS9 characters be included in "Secondary core continity" or in connected? I don't believe that they belong in "Primary Continuity", at least not at this point.

For VOY and ENT
    Add titles Children of the Storm to VOY and To Brave the Storm to ENT. Yup, that's it.

Vanguard

Declassified
    • "Almost Tomorrow" by Dayton Ward
    • "Hard News" by Kevin Dilmore
    • 'The Ruins of Noble Men" by Marco Palmieri
    • "The Stars Look Down" by David Mack
    What Judgements Come (Ward/Dilmore)
    Storming Heaven (Mack)

add to "connected":
    Paths of Disharmony (Ward)
    "Pride: The First Peer" from Seven Deadly Sins (Ward/Dilmore)

Anthologies
    Add Enterprise Logs (Thanks to Toddcam) and Seven Deadly Sins.

Minis: Add The Courage of Conscience to "Typhon Pact"

In Misc, I was thinking of adding nods to The Spaceflight Chronology, The USS Enterprise Officers Manual, and thanks to Therin of Andor, A Summary of the Physiological Roots of Andorian Culture. What do you guys think?

Finally, additional thanks to DevilEyes, KingDaniel, DigificWriter, Idran and Thrawn.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  10. Thrawn

11. Turtletrekker

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

call it 'The Nexus Trilogy'

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi, Turtletrekker. ZSG should actually be part of the 'primary core continuity' section because its final page blatantly states "The saga of Deep Space Nine will continue", a proclamation that is only included in novels which are part of the 'core' required reading list for the DS9-R.

I would also add "Saturn's Children" to the 'secondary core continuity' section as opposed to the 'connected' section because, according to everything that I've been able to find concerning the story, it serves as a direct prequel/lead-in to the MU events chronicled in Warpath, Fearful Symmetry, and The Soul Key.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think a better reason would be that it's a Bashir story and he's a member of the core DS9 cast.

15. Turtletrekker

I Like it. :techman:

16. Turtletrekker

Maybe I'll just stick both ZSG (With Bashir/Ezri) and RBoE (With Sisko/Vaughn/Kira) in "Primary" and PoD (with Shar) and IFM (with Nog) in "Secondary".

17. Thrawn

^ That's what I would do. Seems like both of them are going to have to end up being pretty important to the next ongoing arc.

18. Turtletrekker

TOS edits are done. The rest should follow in short order.

19. Turtletrekker

ADDENDUM TWO: Strange New Worlds

The Strange New Worlds series was an annual contest showcasing the best Star Trek short stories submitted by fans. The series ran for 10 years (1998-2007) and several contributors went on to become professional Trek authors themselves. Although none of the stories were actually commisioned for the "novel-verse", several contributors threw in novel-verse references anyway. Beyond that, several professional Trek authors have drawn on Strange New Worlds stories for background details in their own tales. Here is a list of SNW stories with novel-verse connections...

SNW II: "Gods, Fate, and Fractals" by William Leisner (Referenced in Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock)

SNW III: "Dorian's Diary" by G. Wood (Elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins.)

SNW III: "The Aliens are Coming" by Dayton Ward (Referenced in The Eugenics Wars.)

SNW IV: "Ancient History" by Robert J. Mendenhall (Elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins.)

SNW IV: "Bum Radish: Five Spins on a Turquoise Reindeer" by T. G. Theodore (Elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins.)

SNW VI: "The Human Factor" by Russ Crossley (Utilizes the death of Jack Crusher as established in Reunion. Also references Q-in-Law.)

SNW VII: "Full Circle" by Scott Pearson (Harriman backstory is from Serpents Among the Ruins. Also, elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins)

SNW 8: "Gumbo" by Amy Vincent (Utilizes Jake Sisko backstory established in Avatar book 2,)

SNW 9: "Terra Tonight" by Scott Pearson (Sequel to "Full Circle")

SNW 9: "Shattered Allies" by Emily P. Bloch (Utilizes elements of the post-finale DS9 books, but not entirely consistent with it.)

SNW 9: "The Last Tree on Ferenginar: A Ferengi Fable from the Future" by Mike McDevitt (Utilizes elements of the post-finale DS9 books, but not entirely consistent with it.)

SNW 9: "The Immortality Blues" by Marc Carlson (Utilizes elements of The Sundered and The Eugenics Wars.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  20. Turtletrekker

Updates are complete. I have one more edit request in for the OP that will put update acknowlegments in the first post, and links to the addendums in the ToC.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011