Do you listen to radio?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Velocity, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll listen to sports radio in the morning sometimes. Otherwise, I've got my iPod handy.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

As a young teen in the 1970s, I listened to those greats, too.
    By law, if you tell Arbitron (or anyone else) to place you on their Do Not Call List, they must do it and stop calling you.

I recommend anyone in the U.S. place their phone numbers on the Do Not Call Registry of the FCC.
    Please share the app with us. I use Android phones, as well. Perhaps, the app is available for both. :techman:

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I switch on the radio when I get up until I leave the house or until I do something at home that requires my attention (on the days I don't have to go to work or university). I only listen to one station which I'm convinced is Germany's most elitist. They play a variety of music (from classical to newly released) and have lots of interesting shows/segments. I always try to catch the news and - due to my schedule - usually also catch culture news, a daily short report about an interesting project or something from the news, a segment that is supposed to be funny but isn't and also a weekly report about various choir groups (a different one each week). It's quite interesting.

As a digital native I sometimes find it amusing that such a dead old medium is a part of my daily routine. ;)

4. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No! MP3!!! :adore:

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I hope so. It's called Vintage Radio and their website is here.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'll listen to the radio sometimes in my car for music when I'm driving to and from work. I have six stations programmed in my deck--because it's always rush hour, four of those stations will be in a long-ass commercial break, the fifth will be playing a song I don't like, and the sixth will be playing the final notes of a song I would have liked to hear...before going to a commercial break.

As a result, more often than not my radio is off and the CD player is on.

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Typically on my way to and from work I listen to Sports and News radio. Occasionally, I'll listen to music.

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only listen in the car, and that's because the CD doesn't work anymore.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

We have Sirius XM at the bar where I work, and sometimes we listen to a Pandora station, but I haven't listened to traditional radio in years.

If I'm driving, I plug in my iPhone and listen to MY music.

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I listen to NPR in my car and office. I sometimes flip between pop stations in the car if I lose interest in NPR or what's on my current CD mix.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Primarily, I listen to Sirius XM but I do still listen to commercial radio from time to time.

12. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

NPR and local public radio at home [they have emergency weather reports too, important where I live], NPR Classical music, or R&B, or College Jazz/Eclectic Radio, or the music I can sing to [Steely Dan, Alan Parsons, American Standards, Pop/Soul] on CD. When my CD player works that is. Plan to get Pandora when I can afford it :-)

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I hate radio. Even the rare station that plays music I like.

I don't like other people picking music for me, I don't like adverts, I don't like DJ's and their inane prattle, I don't like local radio's desperate attempt to fill the airtime with crappy local stories and I don't like music on 'in the background'.

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny, ever since I posted this, I've had the radio on in the house much more. I guess I needed a reminder...

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

You can get Pandora for free. It will just have a commercial every few minutes (nowhere near as many as commercial radio).

16. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I started a new job the other day, one where I am stationed in the "bullpen" in Primary Care. They have the radio on all day.

I'm not sure what station it is. It has a weird mix of old classics (Hotel California, Don' Stop Believin') and newer stuff (Roar, Brave).

So having not listened to music radio at all for many years, I now listen to it every day.

:)

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I listen to WARM 106.9 and KING 98.1. The former is easy listening while the latter is a listener-funded classical station.

18. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I guess there is something lost in translation, but what does "easy listening" mean?

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Strictly speaking it's elevator style orchestral versions of yesterdays hits by people like Henry Mancini.

It's more often applied with regard to radio to middle of the road music which was popular years ago, excluding anything too 'contentious'. Abba, The Eagles and Otis Redding hits are the better end of it, but the vast majority is offensively bland, middle of the road pop excrement.

It's dire...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

So it's kinda the blandest bland pop. Blargh. :lol: