Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by EmoBorg, Nov 7, 2013.

1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I am thinking of buying either Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4 for my Xbox 360. Any recommendations on which title to buy.

This is the first time i am considering buying a game from both franchises. I never played COD or Battlefield games before. I am more of a Halo player.

I could certainly use your help, guys.

2. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess it depends on what you liked about Halo. If you had a blast running around in different vehicles, then BF4 is the game for you. An impressive array of vehicles from tanks, jeeps, helicopters, ships, jets, you name it you can fly it. Giant maps with lots of people fighting. You can also seriously alter the map by blowing up buildings or holes in walls to make new paths. If you're more into the streamlined fps experience like Halo though then COD might be for you. Less options, but also less chaos for you to wade through to get better.

For singleplayer I've only started BF4 so far. Impressive visuals and some amazingly epic scenes, but other than that just a mishmash of cliche action scenes. They may not seem as cliche to you if you've never played any of the modern warfare games, but overall the singleplayer is just ok. The reviews on COD singleplayer are fairly tepid as well.

Honestly if you want the best singleplayer experience get the first COD modern warfare, which I'm guessing you can get for cheap, then work forward from there.

3. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree with Capt. Vulcan. By far, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is a good place to start. However, I know the allure of the new hotness can be powerful.

Battlefield has been more of a tactical game with lots of vehicular combat and large maps. This works well when you have a clan of guys to play with. You can select a class of soldier like infantry, engineer, medic and advance each class.

Call of Duty is a bit more faster paced, IMHO and better suited for individual play and can lend itself well to clan play, but nowhere near as cool as BF when it comes to clan play. I know the single player has mediocre reviews, but those are from reviewers who play COD every year. If you've never played COD, there's a good chance you might enjoy the single player. I wouldn't say the same thing about Battlefield. It's single player is usually pretty bad. My favorite mode in COD multiplayer is Kill Confirmed. That's when you shoot a guy, you have to run to his dead body and collect his dog tags to get full credit for the kill. This prevents people from hiding away in 1 spot and killing everyone that passes by.

Both both of these franchises shine in its multiplayer mode. There's room for both in my library, but I'm holding out for the PS4 versions. But if you're a single player fan, I'd recommend Call of Duty 4

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much it.

For balls to the Wall action get Call of Duty (their single player campaigns rival big blockbuster action movies and constantly keep you on edge), for a more tactical, large scale and "realistic" (if anyone would call these games realistic at all) experience get BF4.

Personally i'll eventually get both though at first i prefer CoD.

5. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Get Bad Company 1 & 2, dirt cheap now...

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's an easy choice. Play Doom.

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

BF4 is EA, that's enough to keep me away

8. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not getting either, I'm still playing Team Fortress 2. 6 years and still going strong.

9. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I bought both.

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Angry Birds.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

EA is just the distributor and doesn't really have much impact on the game's design. DICE is the real developer and should either be held accountable for its problems or given credit for its merits.

I was a long-time player of the Battlefield series - mostly heavily-modded BF1942, BFV and BF2 on the PC and BF1943 on the console. I was very disappointed with BF2142 overall and skipped BF3 entirely and was looking forward to getting back into it with BF4. I did the beta test for a couple of weeks and, while glitchy (as most betas usually are), I found it interesting and playable. However, recent reviews I've heard about it have kept me away for the time being. Unfortunately, Dice has continued in its long tradition of buggy initial 1.0 releases. So, I will be waiting until it seems to have stabilized. Maybe one day...

12. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

When it works BF 4 is a great game. Emphasis on when it works.

13. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've had zero problems with BF4 thankfully. I prefer the Battlefield series mainly because of the choice it gives you by having a range of vehicles. However, in the end the most important thing is that it is what my friends play and it is always more fun with friends.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Good to know it's stable for some. I'll probably wait another few months for a patch or two to roll out and then revisit the reviews.

15. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

BF4 wins hands down for the multiplayer but....I preferred the single player campaign in COD ghosts.

Tough one really.

16. Sephiroth

ghosts single player was too short

17. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Modern Warfare 2 was the last good CoD game. And Battlefield 4 isn't really a very good game either. The best CoD games were CoD 4 and CoD 1.

18. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Yeah it was, but I liked it. I'm still in the "getting schooled all of the time" multiplayer mode.

I miss Goldeneye 64. :lol:

19. Sephiroth

the maps are too big, for the ps3 and 360 anyway, I hear the player limits are bigger on the XBone and ps4, I've gotten decent in multiplayer, the ChainSAW with steady aim, muzzle break and rapid fire is a beast, and accurate at a longer range than you'd think, also, the LSAT with the thermal hybrid is the best sniper rifle in the game