Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

It's a wonderful experience to see these details come alive and ready for close-up inspection. The amount of screencap gathering plus the rendering must have been pretty time-consuming.

Out of curiosity: Does anyone know what these yellow and red mechanical thingies were before these became part of the Enterprise?

Bob

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great Donny!

On the first render there should be some colored markings on the corners. The two at the top were red; the two at the bottom were yellow (this was actually tape used to cover the screws). There also there appears to be a couple of more colored dots on the right side near the center.

[​IMG]

On the second rendering you are missing the Jefferies Tube!!! :)

I love your attention to detail. I'm seriously looking forward to the final version of your work.

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wholeheartedly concur - the render of the (yellow doodad) is fantastic, I could genuinely believe it to be part of some machinery hidden behind the wall.

As for their real world origin: I seem to remember reading -possible in "Star Trek the Inside Story" - that these were styrofoam packaging (from various deliveries at Paramount) that Matt Jefferies simply spray-painted and mounted on the corridor walls. The light weight material they were made from was perfect for the task!

As to what they were originally packaged around - I'm afraid I have no clue.

4. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

@Feek61

Thanks for pointing out those colored markings. I believe I was mainly using a reference shot from the first season, which did not have the markings. Because I want to depict the sets with all their third season details, I will make the changes soon. I also added a red border around the plant-on with the yellow back-board. Thanks to your reference materials you posted on TOSgraphics, I was able to spot that third-season detail as well. You've been immensely helpful for this entire project thus far, and I thank you!

Oh, the Jefferies tube will come sooner or later. Just haven't gotten around to it yet!

@Mytran:

I remember hearing that somewhere as well. But doesn't Styrofoam tend to degrade and break down when spray-painted?

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the era, 1964 to 69, how much was Styrofoam used in packaging? I've wondered if those piping elements might have been constructed of cardboard? Maybe those partial "tubes" started their real world existence as delivery tubes for things like blueprints. I can imagine them being cut into smaller sections, split in half to form arch-like shapes, their ends sealed and then heavily painted to hide the more overt seams.

Sincerely,

Bill

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Styrofoam (or polystyrene we say in the UK) does indeed break down under aerosol spray, but that is more due to the chemicals in the propellant than the paint itself; an airbrush spray would have no such problem.

As for how commonly used it was in 1965, I'm not sure either - time to dig out the book for the exact quote I think!

7. Donny

Only had time to make the two pieces below today. About to go into work for an 11 hour shift...grrr....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Hope it's a stress-free shift, good luck.

Ah...definitely a Season Three corridor, judging by this GNDN (environmental function?) next to the turbo lift (Season One and Two) or bulkhead door (Season Three).

That GNDN was a noticable component of life support aka environmental engineering in "Wink of an Eye". I wonder if the top part is some kind of push bar (emergency oxygen provision?).

@ feek61

The lack of colored band aids for the yellow GNDN seems to be the lesser problem. Comparing the screencap you provided with the 3D recreation yields some interesting discrepancies in the actual structure.

Bob

9. Donny

It's not perfect, no. But remember I've got to do things low-poly so that it renders quickly in-game and doesnt cause a lag in frame rate. I also used a few different screencaps from all 3 seasons as reference. Some of them had slight differences between them. The red area on lower part of the structure was present in a late season 3 screencap, and I liked it better because it gave some color variation to the object.

10. feek61

Hey Donny,

Not sure if you knew about these red markers or not but I didn't see them on your work (which is fabulous).

[​IMG]

11. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Does the Unreal Engine allow for normal maps to add extra detail that you don't want to spent on poly count? Could try that maybe.
    These could pass for photos soon!

12. Donny

I use normal maps, yes, and it does help things look like they have more geometry than they actually do.

Here's the last shot before I start work on the transporter room. It features the "Warning" board with grey thingamajig, the "Warning: High Voltage" panel that has been used for a few different purposes throughout the series, and the infamous "flowerpot".

[​IMG]

As for the corridor details that are not complete, I will come back to them. Most notably the Jefferies tube, "doorbell" buttons, and the door signage.

13. feek61

Frickin' amazing!! I wish I had the talent to do such great work.

It looks AWESOME Donny. Looking forward to more TOS!!

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wow - you even included the trapezoid-shaped piece of lumber that held up that wall-mounted water-outlet-looking-thingy. Great attention to detail!

Anyone ever notice that it was missing in one scene and the thing came off the wall in "Day of the Dove"? Before and After. You can even make out some of the double-sided tape they put on the rim to get it to stick. :D

Probably got knocked down during one of the sword fights.

15. Donny

That's what I've seen called the "flower pot".

16. 137th Gebirg

Heh...now that I look at it, that's probably what it actually was in its original form... :)

17. Donny

Figured I'd go ahead and construct the turbolift car before I started work on the transporter room...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seeing the lift interior makes me wonder. Surely someone has dubbed the cocktail lounge version of the Courage theme (played in "Court Martial") into one of the elevator sequences. :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Donny

Started on the transporter room today. This is the first time I've constructed the Season 3 version (in all it's lavender glory), as past projects with older gaming engines featured the Season 1 version.

I obviously still have a lot of work to do, but am liking the progress so far.
    [​IMG]

20. 137th Gebirg

:wtf: Was it really that...garish?