JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Murderer / Fugitive was pretty good... I'm reading "No Man's Land" for the first time right now that's really good, I love how it completely changes the rules of the game.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should check out Greg Ruka's novelization of "No Man's Land" after you read the trades.It's excellent.

@Myasischav I didn't see your mention of me. New Krypton is pretty solid all the way the four volumes. I enjoyed it. You pretty much need to read the four volumes then it goes into Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton and is concluded in War of the Supermen.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm in the process of reading it right now. So far, I've been enjoying it. The story is quite brisk, which was a but of a (pleasant) surprise to me. However, there is a conspiracy subplot to it which I thought I was going to enjoy, but it kinda drags as much of it is pure exposition.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops, sorry about the triple post, it was late and I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually read the No Man's Land novelization when it came out ten years ago, and I'm only just now getting my hands on the actual comic books. The novelization is definitely more reality-based and gritty, but I'm enjoying seeing the full expanded story with all the side bits.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I saw on Amazon that next year it's getting a new release.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished Legends in Exile earlier today, and I loved it just as much, if not maybe a little more, than BYO.
    Was the "pompous" and "holier-than-thou" lion in the flashback in #4 supposed to be Aslan from The Chronicles of Narnia?

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I took advantage of the Superman 101 Sale, and picked the issues that make up the Last Son arc and three issues into it I am really enjoying it. Is it considered a good arc? I thought it was one I remembered being talking about positively here. Do the events in it play any kind of a role in stories after it?

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Generally, it is well liked. And, yes. The events/characters in Last Son have some payoff in New Krypton.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool to both.

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Last Son is one of the best ongoing Superman stories there is. I just wish it was a little more developed.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. You see his fur in a later issue worn by
    the White Witch who is the Snow Queen now a servant of the Adversary

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read the first volume and a half at the library just now. The art varies from competent to pretty yucky. I actually skipped over about half the first volume because it's about Jimmy Olsen tracking down some loser with a bad costume and the worst name in the history of superhero comics. Maybe that was important, but I doubt it.

When New Krypton finally comes into play, it's pretty neat, although to be honest, everyone has so far comes off as really poor strategists--on the human side, there's General Sam "let's send two guys with kryptonite hearts into New Krypton, they'll probably manage to kill ten or twenty of them and really piss the living sun gods off. If it worked for al-Qaeda, it'll work for us!" Lane, and on the Kryptonian side, you have unnecessarily violent and provocative commando raids to sieze prisoners whom, if anyone had thought of it, the U.S. government would probably beg to be permitted to extradite to New Krypton, given how they probably have a combined body count of several million and are basically impossible for human means to hold.

The best scene of what I've read was Sam Lane shooting Lex Luthor in the shoulder because, smartest man on the planet or not, Lex has only ever been around people who don't react with violence when he's an asshole. It's pretty hilarious.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When does Jack of Fables split off from Fables? I'm hoping to get back into comics soon, and I was just wondering how long it is before Jack leaves.

15. Hound of UIster

After Jack in Hollywood.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the first Cinderella miniseries? I got that a couple months ago when Comixology had a DC Eisner winner sale. I got it since it was cheap, but I planned on reading it in order. #77 is the latest issue available for the main series right now.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I agree. Bendis dared to do something different with the Avengers, and that's the only thing that made it palatable to me, although there always those who cry "blasphemy!".

I had been out of comics for about 10 years when Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run brought me back to the comic store, and this was right around the same time that New Avengers debuted. Joss Whedon got me back into the Comic Book Store, but it was Bendis that got me back into the larger Marvel Universe.

When I saw NA #1 with Spider-Man and Wolverine on the cover, it got my attention. When I thumbed through it, if I had seen just another variation on the same old theme, I would have put it back down, but it was a different take on the concept.

I liked that Spidey was becoming an Avenger, a move that I thought was waaaaaay overdue (I am, however, indifferent about Wolvie being an Avenger). It was an honor that the character deserved on a dozen different levels. I liked that it wasn't the same old crew hanging at the mansion being served tea by Jarvis and waiting for the UN to call.

And while his isn't the best Avengers run ever (That would be Roger Stern's run), you have to admit that Bendis successfully turned the Avengers into Marvel's number 1 franchise. If, ten years ago, someone had told me that one day I would be buying more Avengers books than X-Men and Spider-Man combined, I would have laughed at them. And yet, here we are.

18. Hound of UIster

Cinderella is sometime after the fall of the Empire.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bought and started Batman: The Killing Joke yesterday, and I so far I am really enjoying, but do I have one issue with it. I really don't care for the treatment of Barbara Gordon. I went into this knowing she got shot, and since I am really interested in her character that was actually one of the reasons I've been wanting to read this. But I am rather disappointed with the fact that she really seems to be nothing more than a means to screw with her father, and it hasn't done much with the actual effect this has had on her. Other that that I am really enjoying it, the rest of the writing and art are really good. This is my first Alan Moore story, and I think I am starting to see why he is so highly respected in the comic community. I do have one question though, did The Joker rape Barbara? That is certainly the impression I've been given by what I've read so far.
    Are there any stories that deal with Barbara's creation of the Oracle identity?

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had the did he rape her so many times.

A phase I've used more than once is "He didn't enjoy raping her."

The Joker doesn't (didn't? Fuck you new 52.) seem to be a sexual being.

Gordon wasn't being screwed with.

He was being educated about good manners.

The joker just took offence to being called a whack job, or crazy or...

"Any one can be me, all you need is just one bad day."

Barbara wasn't completely the same woman after the Killing Joke.

[​IMG]