What exactly is...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by mythme, Jul 16, 2013.

1. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

the function of the small computer station along the rail behind the Captain/First Officer chairs? I don't recall it ever used before the arrival of Seven, but she seem to use it exclusively thereafter. Is it some kind of specialized Borg interface made just for her? Another sort of science station (which would make poor Harry even more useless)?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Kim's station was the Ops position, so another science station wouldn't necessarily affect his bridge duties. The console you're referring to is an auxiliary tactical and operations console that could be used in addition to the posts normally manned by Tuvok and Kim, but not necessarily in lieu of them.

--Sran

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a generic "I'm on the Bridge" station. Neelix and the Doctor used it a few times too.

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

B'Elanna used it in Dark Frontier and Ayala has used it too, so I doubt its a
    "Borg" only interface.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I checked my copy of the writers' technical manual that I was sent when I was invited to pitch for the show way back when, and on its plot of the bridge, that console is labeled simply "Tactical." The description is: "Responsible for weaponry, defense, and internal security, this is a small dedicated console directly behind the command area. In crisis situations, this console can be occupied by Tuvok or another tactical officer."

It doesn't explain why there's a second Tactical station along with the main Security/Tactical station where Tuvok was normally located. Maybe it was just in case they needed to set up shots where Tuvok was in the same frame with Janeway and Chakotay, or to provide directors with variety. Or if they needed someplace where an extra could stand and have a console blow up in their face.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's placing as a Tactical station makes sense and is more in line with TNG and where Worf stood on the Ent-D bridge. Maybe it was an early idea that got abandoned as they decided to give Tuvok one of the rear stations instead, but they never quite removed it from the design and it was became a kind of 'generic station'?

I think Voyager's bridge was definitely kinda cool looking and had some neat visual florishes in places, but there was always something about the design that to me seemed less practical than other bridges seen in Star Trek. Too many stations tucked away in dark nooks at the far ends of the bridge...

7. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

That's more practical than you think.
    ----

Can't pretty much any function be completed from any console? When the plot calls for it, it certainly seems so. Having a generic console in a central location makes sense to me.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The other advantage of that small console is whoever was stationed along that back wall of monitors could speak and do action while facing the camera.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In "Learning Curve" Henley used it for weapons control when the Maquis trainees were on the holodeck.

I always just took it to be a configurable console that could be adapted to handle whatever extra workload was needed.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because the diagram and descriptions from the writers' tech manual -- and mine is version 1.0, the original -- refer to both Tuvok's Security/Tactical station and the standup Tactical station simultaneously. Tuvok's station was always (at least as far back as the publication of the first-edition manual) meant to be the sit-down station to starboard aft, but the center rail station was always meant to be a Tactical station as well.

Maybe if Rick Sternbach sees this thread, he could offer some insights into the thinking behind the two consoles.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It could no doubt be configured to fufil any need. As one would expect gien the advanced computers they have any station could be configured to do anything. So in theory tacitcal and ops could switch locations. Depending on how a particualr CO wanted it.

12. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Be that as it may, from a cinematic point of view, the Voyager bridge is a bit off. If B'Elanna was at the Engineering station or someone (often Samantha Wildman) was at the science station stage left, the camera couldn't capture them in a wide shot.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Never hurts to have a backup tactical console for when the main one blows up in a redshirt's face.