AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It looks like they all sleep normally, but Odin is so old that much like the Goa'uld he needs something more from time to time, perhaps increasing in frequency as he ages, like the sarcophogi.

In the film it looked like a weak forcefield, maintaining a type of life support/artificial environment for him, but the FG's state that he is technically "aware" of everything around him, even able to hear whats happening, just immobalised by the field.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he was going to with the Hulk before he got punched off-screen? :devil:

3. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're saying Hulk beat him to the punch?

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Loki's line to Thor was "how much Dark Matter did Odin (or Father, i forget) use up to get you here?"

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

With Monday daily totals The Avengers crossed the $1.3 Billion mark!!!

CONGRATS to The AVENGERS for crossing $1.3 BILLION!!!!

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Adjusted for inflation, it's not doing so badly, either. Ranked that way, it's the 42nd highest grossing film of all time at the domestic box office, and it will probably finish in the 30s, if not slightly better.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

In the comics Odin regularly enters into what's called the "Odinsleep" to allow him to repower himself, in reality it's a plot device to get him out the way because he's just too powerful.

8. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

But you know that he'll be lots of fun in bed. Thor, not so much.

Besides, women don't like being told who we should be attracted to. Giving us blonde hair and big muscles is just too much of a cliche. :rolleyes:

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, it's kind of absurd to think all women are into the buff Adonis type, as if all men want blonde, big-breasted supermodels.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Plus, a younger brother who's always felt he had something to prove will work harder in bed. :angel:

11. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Yeah us men are fine with big-breasted supermodels with other haircolors. ;)

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not true... I don't care at all about a woman's hair color.

Edit: Ah... zephramc beat me to it by one minute. Damn you!!!! **shakes fist angrily**

13. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Supermodels have breasts?

Does not compute, does not compute.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had the same reaction. A little of that kind of underplayed humor would help his character a lot - what Hemsworth is handed in the role, in two movies so far, is almost all stereotype.

Well, with this many characters someone was going to get shorted I suppose.

15. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Stark with Pepper and Coulson, Thor would be most emotionally relatable interacting with the people in his life, which would be Jane Foster, Selvig and Loki.

Foster's off-stage.

Selvig and Thor never interact.

Loki mostly spends his time making stupid speeches so that a hero can clobber him (metaphorically or literally) as a punch line. What precisely Loki means to do with Earth is never certain (which is why it isn't interesting either,) and his "plan" to distract attention by being taken prisoner is rather like planning to win a fight by breaking your opponent's fist with your chin.

Which is to say, the interesting Loki who actually had mixed feelings about Odin, Thor, Asgard and his place in the greater scheme of things is replaced by a cliche dumbass heavy. Since the brother is gone, Thor's relationship with his brother is gone. I suppose that Loki could have let the others take him prisoner so that they would end up fighting Thor when he came to collect Loki. And Loki could have sponsored the invasion so that he could offer to call it off in exchange for amnesty. In that kind of plot, interactions between Loki and Thor could have had an interest and intensity far greater than the silliness with the Black Widow.

But a real characterization for Loki was never a part of this script. Obviously the decision to keep apart the villain and his brother is a peculiar one but given that, Thor has nothing to do but be too powerful for the plot. So he had to be shunted aside. Too bad for Hemsworth. I read that he had reservations about Thor's most popular line which speaks well to his talent and judgment.

As for wisecracking, Robert Downey Jr. gets to do most of it, for the good reason that he does it best. You give the ammo to the sniper.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This reminds me of how badly the first three X-men movies turned out. They were pretty much the Wolverine show and the rest of the characters, especially Cyclops, got screwed in terms of character development. Avengers was all about the TEAM and everyone got the chance to shine.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

fwiw, my sister prefers Hawkeye. She said the Chrises were good looking, but she prefers Renner. She never mentioned Loki...

18. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer Hawkeye, too...:drool: Loki is interesting, but does nothing for me. And Renner has the best ass in the cast.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The entertainment world can't stop talking The Avengers. Despite MIB3 being #1 over the weekend this article at USA Today is exploring what long term implications the film has on releases and it's place in cinematic history.

In all seriousness if those films were either good enough or marketed properly(looking at you DS) then they would pull the business they deserve. Even in the face of the tidal wave that is The Avengers.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the business is set to have a real bad season. The movies themselves are no better or worse than most summers these days.

Be interesting to see whether DKR really competes with Avengers.