NOW a January Challenge Entry - Ptrope

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I just thought I would add a couple images from my own "4th Season upgrade" to the OS Engineering section; these are images rendered last year, and since I have been working on it for a couple years (off and on, mostly off ;)), it not only wouldn't qualify for the challenge, it would be kinda wrong for me to go off and start something new rather than finish this nearly-ancient project ;). But it's always fun to share purty pictures! :bolian:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: NOT a January Challenge Entry

Awesome! :techman:

3. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks! As you can see, I'm also experimenting with an Engineering-specific duty uniform for women, based on the dress, but shorter and with pants ;). If they're up on the catwalk, we can't have those randy engineers looking up their skirts!

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Excellent! I'm not sure how I feel about the extra big grating to the "cathedral tubes" but I really like the over head catwalk, and I extra love the what you have that trench around the machinery in the center of the room. It really gives us the idea that this is just the upper end of a bigger more elaborate object below the deck, rather than just some doohickey the prop department knocked out and set down there.

Excellent work!

--Alex

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they might drop a thermocoupling at an inconvenient time...

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

thats an awful lot of stairs and walkways for one little screen and a few switches. wouldn't it have been easier to put them ground level?

7. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

:). Well, my justification for that catwalk was the 'intermix console' - note that it's directly tied into those very large pipes exiting the top of the chamber (and yes, they do connect to the top run of those big manifolds behind the 'cage' ;); I figured it has to have that direct connection, for mechanical reasons - really, I just wanted a cool catwalk in there to take advantage of the height of the room, and it had to have some sort of workstation to make it appear worthwhile. In terms of the TV show - not necessarily 'real' engineering - it's there to add an additional range of filming locations, whether on the catwalk itself, or to look down into the space, an angle we rarely ever saw. Plus, one can add additional crewmen to a scene, who can either be checking the console, walking the catwalk, using the crosswalk to move from the second level on one side to the second level on the other, or climbing the tri-ladder without interrupting a scene on the floor.

Basically, it was a response to BreweryPrise: catwalks = good; giant obvious beer vats = bad :D.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Just a great interior.

9. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Ummm... that for "Reanimated"?

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Yeah, it's part of that whole "black hole" of creativity ;).

11. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

... MAybe if you put some more control panel type stuff hanging from the pipes on the ceiling... making a bit more reason to be up there besides that one booth on the end. Nothing too complex, just a few gizmos that look like someone might find them useful...

--Alex

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Well, it does have all those exposed pipes up there - not all work needs to or can be done from consoles ;). Actually, I've thought a little bit about putting a door at the opposite end of the catwalk, making it accessible from an upper deck (no plans to make it open or put any new space behind it - just the idea that, from an upper deck, one could walk directly out onto the catwalk. Again, could make a nice new filming angle on Engineering :).

13. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Okay, I couldn't resist, but I also tried not to go so crazy as to feel really guilty about the time spent. So I will be entering the challenge after all - I wanted to see how much I could accomplish with mostly existing components from other sets. Taking a cue from Redfern, I started with the arches from the briefing room set, and reused components from the transporter room, my own Engineering update, Gary Seven's Beta-5 computer, and some very basic new modeling. It's not as thoroughly-detailed as a serious attempt would need to be, but I like it as a 'sketch' for a new TOS-inspired Engineering space.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

This looks great. But don't you DARE give those women pants!!!

Seriously, I think you're going just a little too far with glowy bits for TOS. I'd suggest more covered conduits with smaller exposed glowy bits to get your idea across.

Though if you do make changes, and the choice is to put girls in pants or more glowy bits, go for more glowy bits!

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Super. I've only seen one TOS engineering set at ShareCG, which presumably isn't yours. Any chance this might ever show up there?

Regarding the stairs, maybe some could be replaced by a little mini-lift, like in ST:TMP.

16. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, Ptrope built upon ALT1701's mesh, outright replacing something like 40 percent of the original geometry and then scratch building all his additions. And, hopefully anticipating one of your questions, ALT1701 is cool with what Ptrope has done with his model.

As for sharing it? Several of us 3D hobbyists have been askiing he do so before he suffers another disk crash. (I think he's experienced three since he started this project.)

Sincerely,

Bill

17. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Ladies and gentlemen, my publicist is absolutely correct ;). Yes, this started out with alt1701's Engineering set (which Redfern has, in fact, rendered quite beautifully, several times!), in much the same way I started with Sean Robertson's 1701 bridge model to create the one I currently offer (I think the only things I didn't remodel on that were the hundreds of buttons! :) ). I get obsessed with adding detail to these things, which usually means using them as templates and then building many new components in their place.

Eventually, yes, the '4th season' Engineering set will be released into the wild; I was lucky enough that I didn't lose the most recent work I'd done to it (one of the advantages of Poser, too, is that by default, a scene contains the geometry of the models used in it, esp. when they're imported from raw OBJs, and I render nearly everything I do in Poser ;)). This version, however, probably won't show up, since it's really just kind of a 'sketch,' intended almost exclusively for this month's challenge (although I'm thinking about maybe visiting some of the concepts in an Engineering space for my Crossbow-class ship design :)).

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My modeling software is the spline/patch based Animation Master from Hash, which doesn't convert well to Poser. And most of my images with your sets can't be posted here as often the ladies are in various states of undressed. ;)