How to start my wife on Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by rmkwebdesign, May 30, 2008.

1. rmkwebdesign

rmkwebdesign Commander Red Shirt

Not being sure which forum to post this (whether TOS or Movies), I'll start it here.

I'm recently married and want to introduce Star Trek to my new bride. She knows I love it, but has never seen any movies or episodes. So, where do suggest I start her?

I'd like to start with either TOS episodes or movies. My quesdtion, I guess, is should I start with some episodes and then a few movies? Or start with TMP? Maybe Space Seed followed by TWOK? The Cage, Where No Man, and...

Any suggestions?

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My suggestion to you is to think about what movies and shows she likes best and tailor her Trek experience accordingly. Trek IV is good for newbies. It's fun and light-hearted.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Yes, but Trek IV also makes a bit more sense if you've seen II and III first. It certainly explains why they're on a crapped-out Bird of Prey instead of the Enterprise, Spock acting slightly off-kilter, and why everyone except Scotty and Uhura are in their civvies.

4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd start off with a classic first season episode like "Balance of Terror" or "Space Seed." The movies have a different look and feel, and I think it's easier to start with the series and upgrade the visual quality than going the other way.

5. maryh

maryh Commander Red Shirt

I tried to interest my kids in ST (later incarnations) for years, and they just wouldn't bite. Then they put the TOS episodes on the internet and I started watching them. It is almost like it was years ago for me. At first my kids would just glance up at my computer screen. Then they did it more and started asking questions. Now they watch them on their own. There just is something about TOS that pulls you in.

6. Wonderlust King

Wonderlust King Captain Captain

Trek IV got me started on trek, and its how i've gotten several girlfriends started. It gets them to know and love the characters with out getting right into the space/science fictiony kind of stuff they may be repelled by.

7. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Dude..listen to me...I just went through this 7 years ago, and now my wife loves Star trek..

Find the episode HIS WAY. This is the DS9 episode where Odo and Kira finally find their love for each other. Give her a quick five minute on who they are and what motivated them and then let her watch that episode...they love that romance stuff, and when they finally kiss at the end, your wife will be so happy...TRUST ME...it works..

Rob
    scorpio

8. Fedaykin

Fedaykin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My wife and I met in a Star Trek fan club, so I have it easy. She even calls her mom moogie for crying out loud.

DS9 has lots of 'cute' stand alones, but I would recommend 'In Theory', it's a fun Data episode that gives you some nice character moments. TOS is not as accessible to women folk, for some reason. I agree with the poster above who said STIV, anyone can get behind that. Fish out of water story, nice moments throughout.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

All right, after further review, this thread is off to Gen. Trek! You'll probably get more ideas. :)

10. SpockWeed

SpockWeed Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If she's a Sex In The City fan, just tell her Samantha is really a Vulcan. Got my wife to bite.

Kim Cattrall

Valeris

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  11. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Inner Light.

Trust me, works every time. When she loves it, put in "tapestry", and then show her a couple light-hearted Data episodes. After that, play Chain of Command. If she likes CoC, hook line sinker.

12. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Commander Red Shirt

Only one thing to say here:
    DEEP SPACE NINE
    Sucked my wife right in. She's a HUGE trek fan now. TOS, TNG, Voyager...she can't get enough of it now. She even bought all 4 seasons of Enterprise and we're both getting set to watch that whole series for the 1st time (for both of us actually). It's completely awesome. She was a mild TOS fan when I met her because of her older brother, but now...we got her...new full blown Trek fan.
    Just get the entire series of DS9 and start at the beginning.
    Tell her it's a soap opera in space!:bolian:
    We're currently at the end of Season 7 of DS9...it's s second viewing of the whole series for both of us. ENT is next.
    Trust me...DS9....you'll have her after the first few episodes.

-Rabittooth

13. T'Leisha

T'Leisha Lieutenant Red Shirt

TNG did it for a couple of friends of mine. It was Inner Light. Damn fine episode. I'm another one that had it easy, my partner and i met on a Star Trek PBEM about 8 years ago.
    Ask her to do you a favour. Ask her to sit with you and watch one really amazing episode from each series.
    She'll likely find one that she likes, and then you can show her more from that series. Then you can move one from one series to all of them.
    This way you don't have to pick a series, because you can use all of them, and it'll give her a broader view of what Star Trek really is.

14. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd start her off with a choice few TOS eps. i.e., the really enjoyable ones like City on the Edge of Forever, the Trouble with Tribbles, This Side of Paradise, Balance of Terror, Space Seed, etc. then if you detect interest, start showing her the seasons in progress. and pop in a TOS movie (start from WOK and go on from there). then progress to TNG and then Generations and First Contact and so on. you just have to watch what sort of stuff she likes and feed her those first.

15. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

If it was me, I would probably introduce her to TMP. It eliminates the need for backtracking, and in 10 sequential films covers a fair bit of both TOS and TNG.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

some people get turned off by TMP's 2nd half. hence why when it comes to the movies, I start them with TVH or WOK.

17. emmymme

emmymme Ensign Newbie

I'd go for this - I was a bigger trek fan than my boyfriend, but I've got him watching them all - don't worry about sequentiality - you'll probably know her movie taste in general (comedy, drama) choose an episode from each and base it off that - it's hard to say what series someone will like the most!

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

If you're into TOS, then I would suggest starting with 3-4 TOS episodes, maybe "The Man Trap" and "Space Seed" among them. Then continue with the first two movies Star Trek I and Star Trek II-The Wrath Of Khan".

If she likes them, well then you will have a lot of pleasant Saturday evenings coming with more Trek episodes.

If not, well then you might go for some long-time strategy, maybe trying with some TNG, DS9 and Voyager too. Somewhere there will be something which she might find interesting.

19. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

What an eclectic bunch we are... my wife of 20 years didn't get hooked until buying me the 1st season of Voyager just a year and a half ago (I'm an original TOS fan, adding Niner to my hard core fan credits much, much, later... as in the last for me to see). Now she's demanding I take her to the next convention in Vegas (I did drag her to a couple of smaller Creations' in the early 80's)... and she still hasn't even seen Enterprise yet!

20. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I have no useful advice. My wife was already a serious Trek/B5/X-Files fan when we first met. Lucky me.