TOS Silverware

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOS Purist, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOS Purist

TOS Purist Commander Red Shirt

Does anybody have any idea what brand of silverware was used for the props in TOS? There's a shot in "The Naked Time" when they have a close-up of the knife Tormolen uses to threaten Sulu and Riley, and the brand name can BARELY be made out - someone would probably need to use some kind of photo enhancing software to make it out. Unless somebody already knows what brand it is! :lol:

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was stuff heisted from the Desilu Commisary. Not that this helps you in the slightest. :)

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Cue Greg Schnitzer ...

4. TOS Purist

I actually laughed out loud at that... :guffaw:

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Why not? The rank stripes on "The Cage" costumes were gold-painted elastic bands from the mail room!

I seem to recall an unusual pickle fork, used as a regular fork, in the early episodes. And, of course, the salt shaker in "The Man Trap" was a reject from the buying trip to get McCoy's medical instruments. It looked too much like a salt shaker to be a scalpel.

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The knife that killed Joe Tormolen was pretty fearsome. It was likely a specialized prop. I can't image that a such a gruesome weapon would be easily obtainable.

7. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Star Trek had its share of high tech gizmos. (Well, as high tech as a 1966 production on a budget could predict.) So, we saw plenty of phasers, tricorders, and communicators and such on the show. But some of the biggest challenges were to make ordinary items that would still be in use in the 23rd century look "futuristic" while still being identifiable to a 20th century audience.

Of course the classic example, of course, are the salt shakers. If you make them too futuristic, they no longer are immediately obviously salt shakers. Too mundane and it looks like our crew is still in the 20th Century instead of the 23rd century. So Property Master Irving Feinberg was always looking for things that fell into that middle ground: futuristic, but not too futuristic.

With that for a set up, a typical example of this futuristic middle ground for props can be seen in the flatware that is used on the Enterprise. We first see it in "The Corbomite Maneuver:"

[​IMG]

And then again in "The Man Trap:"

[​IMG]

"The Naked Time" (and note the one and only time we see "Lieutenant--Junior Grade" braid):

[​IMG]

"Charlie X:"

[​IMG]

"Conscience of the King:"

[​IMG]

"Amok Time:"

[​IMG]

"Obsession:"

[​IMG]

"By Any Other Name:"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"And the Children Shall Lead:"

[​IMG]

"Elaan of Troyius:"

[​IMG]

But probably the best shot we get of all four pieces of this silverware set of the future (knife, dinner fork, tablespoon, and teaspoon) is in "Space Seed:"

[​IMG]

So, here's my set of vintage 1960s-era stainless steel flatware as seen in Star Trek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These come up for auction on ebay once in a blue moon. You can keep your eyes peeled and perform searches for "Danish modern flatware." Although it's in a "Danish modern" style, this particular flatware set was actually made by a Japanese designer. Unfortunately, I don't know who made these. They simply have a small "Japan" embossed on them--with no other markings or information. They actually don't come with the futuristic red paint on the ends of the handles; those have to be added yourself.

We have shown people dining in Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II--most notably in "To Serve All My Days." If we have occasion for additional dining scenes in future episodes, keep an eye out for this slightly futuristic-looking 1960s-era Danish modern flatware set.

Slide show is at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/sets/72157603838869762/show/

Skipper and Phaser Two like this.
  8. TOS Purist

Wow, that's quite a lot of help there!! One last thing, though - are you SURE it's exactly what they used on TOS?

In one shot from "The Naked Time" when Tormolen is pointing the knife at Sulu and Riley, we get to see the side of the knife that has the brand name on it. It looks like there's a small circular logo with some indecipherable text. Here's a thumbnail of the screenshot:

[​IMG]

Although we can't make out what it says, since you have access to your TOS silverware set, you could check your knife and see if its brand name matches the general shape of what we can see of the brand's logo.

Also, what method did you use for adding the red tips?

9. GSchnitzer

Am I sure it's the right flatware? Well, yeah.

You can see (barely) the logo and the writing in this wider shot:

[​IMG]

And a closer view is here:

[​IMG]

So, still not much to work with--unless someone can identify that logo.

(The red paint is that ubiquitous Starfleet red-orange; I think we use a color called Macao Orange from WalMart.)

10. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

Taking an HD-DVD image from TrekCore ( http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=5&page=6 -> bottom center), cropping it, brightening it, and sharpening it suggests that you're right - it seems a very likely match given the logo, the two large words, and the smaller third word (amazing, Holmes, you've done it again! :techman:):

[​IMG]

11. Gallaher

Gallaher Cadet Newbie

Has anyone ID's the manufacturer from the logo? I found 13 pieces at the Goodwill for 29 cents each, but even Replacements.com could ID who made this flatware. The last post was February 2009; has the trail run cold? Or have I missed a grand discovery?

12. GSchnitzer

No new information that I've run across.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"C'mon, Joey, put the butter knife down!"

(At least he didn't kill himself with a plastic spork....)

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I have to admit, I always find shots of the TOS "space food" goofy. :lol:

15. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let the arguing begin over the proper shade of red paint needed. :devil:

16. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

K89150 GM Spectra red engine enamel

17. Green Shirt

Are you serious???? That color to way too red. Can't you see in certain lighting conditions that is an orange/red?? ;);););)

Maybe its my monitor.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is a film stock issue that varies from season to season. I have an interview with Matt Jeffries on this, but can't find it.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

This might be mildly amusing, though.

20. Green Shirt

I remember that interview. It was the same one where Jefferies was complaining the Enterprise's color never looked right on TV. It was supposed to be the same medium blue with pink windows like the cover of TMOST. :techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.