VRML TOS Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BrookeStephen, Mar 7, 2009.

1. BrookeStephen

BrookeStephen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's no catch... it's only a little piece of the ship... not the Whole Ship! Do you have a VRML viewer?

2. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be a negative. :(

3. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@BrookeStephen - It looks very good. If I may make a suggestion, the top of the power unit is more open. You can see light spilling in from the top in the screen shots for "The Enemy Within". Are you making your plans based on FJ's blueprints?

4. BrookeStephen

Hey there;
    I've used FJ's blueprints for the ship, but small components such as this unit aren't pictured in detail. Yes, I know about the top being open - saw in "Court Martial" episode, just how they can be lit from above. I pulled many stills off the episodes and found one pic of the desktop model of the original TV soundstage, where the top of this unit is visible - seems to be the right shape - maybe the hole at the top is alittle smaller than it should be... can you find the desktop model of the soundstage and tell me what you think?

Thanks in advance!

5. BrookeStephen

Hi;
    I like VRML because I wrote some software to build parametric models in VRML... parametric in that I change one parameter and all the rest of the components adapt to the change - not just the component who's dimension I change.

I use Visual Basic for programming, an MS Access database to store many of the parameters, and the program spits out VRML files, ready for viewing.

I really like VRML because you can walk around inside the models. Even take a turbolift ride. I've rigged the bridge to display many of the original displays and they change over time. There's lots of animation on my ship!

Ya - VRML is pretty cool.

6. blssdwlf

Are you referring to the one that was used for blocking shots and planning?

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2009/01/star-trek-soundstage-at-desilu.html

It's a start, but as with paper models they might not be accurate on all the details, including the opening of those power units.

In "The Naked Time" you can see pretty clearly how far it is open by where the light is spilling in and the softly lit interior of the power unit.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x04hd/thenakedtimehd1022.jpg

But, I've also seen the interior top completely dark in "The Enemy Within" on one of the units either due to lack of overhead lighting or a covered top so you could say that top piece might be retractable :) Or split the difference and have one of the two units open top and the other closed ;)

7. BrookeStephen

Thanks for the advice - you found the pics of the soundstage model - in several of the pics, from overhead, you can see the engineering area, and the two stand-by power units from above, and you can see the darker blue, which means there is a hole in the top of that model... it's rather large...
    It doesn't have to be a big hole to let light hit the blue drum from above... but in Court Martial, they used a red light, placed just behind the huge crossbar to some effect.
    I'll try making the hole bigger...

FYI - the naked time jpg isn't public, so I can't see it!

8. BrookeStephen

I've also put alittle time into making a parametric model of the TOS Shuttlecraft.
    As a parametric model, written in Visual Basic, and sofar using almost 60 parameters, if I change one parm, the rest of the model reshapes itself to adapt.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My favorite bit is the exhaust cowl and nozzles... took a while...
    the VB program is almost 100 pages of text long.

9. blssdwlf

That's odd about the screen cap, Trekcore isn't blocking me from seeing it. Worse case, you can just go the page on Trekcore and click on the image in the middle column, second row from the bottom.

As far as I can tell, the opening starts at the front crossbar and continues on to the back crossbar of the device. But, I think it could be said that is true for one of the machines and the 2nd machine could be partially or completely closed at the top.

Good luck!

10. BrookeStephen

Hey there;
    I was able to get to the Trekcore (never been there before!) to see the pic - should be able to use trig and figure out the size of the hole just from the light path and reflection...

Still can't get to your other pic - says I'm not authorized... and I'm logged in here this time, for sure! Is it possible that it's only for americans to view? I'm in Canada. I've seen that before...

11. blssdwlf

@BrookeStephen,

I wouldn't worry too much about the direct link to the image since you can now get to the gallery itself. Good luck making it all work!

12. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

FYI, trekcore has an issue with hotlinking (understandably as they don't want people stealing their bandwidth). If you've clicked on an image from an internal link you'll be able to see it (including from future external links, cause it'll be cached in your browser), but if you're trying to access it from 'outside' it'll give you that error page. Try refreshing the 'forbidden' page or copying the link address into a new tab if you can't find the image in the gallery (in future that is).

13. imagineer

imagineer Cadet Newbie

I want to get your VRML files.

14. BrookeStephen

Well, Happy New Year everyone!
    I'm in my last semester at Humber College Toronto Canada,
    and I've put up the VRML files on my school server,
    for everyone to try out.

Please note that they are from an earlier version, but
    they are really fun to walk around in!!!

Go to this link to start.
    You will first download the renderer
    (BitManagement's product BS Contact)
    then follow the link to the VRML files!

Please let me know what you think of the model,
    any issues you have, anything you like!

Follow this link.
    Stephen

15. -SS-

-SS- Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All I can see are the nacelles and pylons... is there supposed to be more?

16. BrookeStephen

Hi there!
    You can right-click to see the keyboard shortcuts and options.
    First thing I do when the model has finished loading is [ESC] key to get some distance and see the whole model.
    Then I ctrl-shft-e to rotate the model and see it from all angles.
    Next I want to pick a place that gravity can drop me on somewhere on the model, and when its below my point of view, think up and down, then I ctrl-shift-w to drop me on the model and then walk around - up/down stairs etc - of ctrl-shift-f to fly over and thru the model using the mouse to manage the speed and yaw and the mouse wheel for the pitch...

Thanks for trying it out... You could post some pics so more people will try this out!

Thanks!

17. -SS-

-SS- Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've figured the controls out, but the only parts of the model that load are the nacelles.

[​IMG]

18. BrookeStephen

Sorry Kiddo!!
    Here's the thing... going to school, not alot of free time... Anyways, this seems to NOT work with Firefox... sorry!!!

Nice Nacelles, though, eh?

19. BrookeStephen

Hi guys! I'm still alive and kicking... went to Community College from 2012 to 2014, then to a world-class university from 2014 to 2018... but I have 4 credits left to finish, and the new government reduced the student loans to a dribble... so I've been working on campus. I haven't really done much with my Enterprise modeling, since 2010?! or so, but I've learned a LOT of mathematics, and my programming skills have improved, so now that I have a bit of time, I can bring the project up to a new level of detail. I just downloaded Visual Studio 2019, and it required 4GB in updates lol. That took all day. WIsh me luck!

20. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

High five from another "I finish that someday" modeller. I look forward to seeing more.

Spaceship Jo likes this.