Great Cinematography Moments

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Amaris, May 15, 2009.

1. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Yep. I rewatched CotEoF last week and for some reason the soft focus effect on Joan Collins' face was a bit disturbing this time. Maybe it's because there are such fast changes from a closeup of Kirk or McCoy (completely in focus) to a closeup of Keeler (veeeery soft).

2. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

This is classic film noir employing low key lighting. Film noir techniques were/are often used to convey alienation.

For more details, this article isn't too bad: http://www.videomaker.com/article/13548/

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Beautiful. Both shots look like paintings. Rather than just putting some actors on a set with enough lights and yelling action.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Agreed. That is very nicely done.

J.

5. Lethe

Lethe Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is the coolest thread ever! I agree with a comment made earlier, that TOS is full of amazing camerawork. Just the other night I was watching an episode where the camera started overhead above the bridge... but it was centered and static for a little longer than you'd think it should have been. Kind of reminded me of something Stanley Kubrick might have done. I'm going to try and figure out which episode it was.

6. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I think it was Bob Justman who told their new cameraman (Jerry Finnerman)...'go nuts'.

And he did, there's tons of innovation, bright colors, dramatic setups. For reference, I remember reading about how they busted ass to make that scene in Naked Time flow smooth. You know, where Spock has his little breakdown. That was done all in one take at the end of the day. (Source: Star Trek Memories by The Shat)

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yes it is! A statue of me in the center of town, courageously pointing to the heavens, is payment enough.

Oh, yes indeed. Some great moments in "Amok Time".

J.

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I have another favorite shot. This one, too, is from "Balance of Terror."

Spock reports that among the debris from the Romulan ship is a metal-encased object. Kirk correctly determines it to be a warhead and quickly orders phasers to blow it up--but it's really, really close to the ship. It blows up, the ship shakes, the camera tilts and everyone falls out of their chairs. But in this case, all the power and lights go out on the bridge. No overhead work lights, no monitors, no colored blinky lights on the consoles. Nothing. The bridge is in complete darkness for a shot that last five seconds--complete darkness except for two lights on the bridge:

[​IMG]

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ I loved the whole atmosphere of that episode.

J.