Star Fleet X-Technology Heavy Cruiser

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Icy_Penguigo, May 30, 2008.

1. Michael_One

Michael_One Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great work, Adam!

pic FCX4, the one that's almost a side view, makes your ship look like its going at warp speed even when standing still. It has this... majestic... air to it.

Largo is correct, the nav lights are flipped, the memory phrase is 'port wine left'. But, that is a minor nitpick.

The multi shaded panels give the CX a sense of massiveness and help convey the size of the ship. I get the sense you are depicting a real starship.

I like the egg shaped bussards, they look, well, faster. How would they look in a movie? Would they just glow, pulse, strobe, or rotate? I can imagine them pulsing with little gold, silver and white sparklies.

2. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Maybe it's a mirror universe ship. :)

3. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

Thanks guys for your comments. :D I'm gonna fix the nav light thing. It's been pointed out to me multiple times on multiple forums at this point, so I guess I probably should. :p

Michael One: Thanks :) As far as the bussards are concerned, I envision them spinning at least. I like the idea of the gold, silver, and white pulsing lights though. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll animate this girl, then you'll get to find out. ;)

Should have wallpapers and high-res orthos soon....although I'm working on another exciting project that I'll start previewing soon. ;)

4. Icy_Penguigo

Well, in a way, yes. :p The Star Fleet Universe is basically an alternate version of the Trek Universe, with its own totally epic events like the General War, the ISC Pacification War, the Andromedan Invasion, and Operation Unity.
    BTW, for anyone that wants high-res orthos, e-mail me at artist_boy001@yahoo.com. They're too big to post here, and I'm lousy at noticing when I have PM's.

5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Icy_Penguigo, I just want to say I'm am very impressed with Vincennes' newfangled warp nacelles. Wow! That design is breath-taking, and I'm not just saying that to butter you up. :rommie:

I'm really scratching my head about how you did it. That is a very artistic, very sophisticated design. Those overlapping shapes are inspiring me with ideas for other designs. I hope you post images of just the nacelle. It's impressive all by itself.

6. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

You've heard me say it already - but she's a fine ship.

7. Icy_Penguigo

Thanks, Wingsley! Honestly, I just started playing around with shapes in 3Dmax, and somehow wound up with that. :p

I'll get around to posting more images of this ship(and her engines), right now I'm just a little wrapped up in finishing my Klingon X-cruiser so I can make my deadline for the X1R cover.

And thanks to everyone else as well. :)

8. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

Nice work on the CX, especially the front end caps on the nacelles. How do you get that "wheel-spoke" effect anyway?

9. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tell Steve to put the New Jersey on the cover of something. She's my favourite SFB ship, and I'd love to see you do a model of her too.

Marian

10. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

By the Penguin's request.. this is a test of the primary hull. I'll probably do a section a day pending what he thinks of each piece. (This is only here to get his attention, I'm not attempting to detract from his spiffy design in any way shape or form!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  11. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Well, the Kirov has already appeared in a lot of places. Why not just picture that and squint a bit. :)

12. Starhawk

Starhawk Lieutenant Red Shirt

This ship looks way cool. Love the nacelles and how you kept the classic lines too.

Well done!

13. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

Is the New Jersey the BCJ?

If so, I think the class was used for the Federation Commander: Klingon Attack cover - and other variants of the Fed battlecruiser can be found on the covers of both Klingon Border and Romulan Border.

(You can see said covers in wallpaper form here.)

Nice!

Since I asked Icy, I may as well as you also, Vance - could you consider also doing a schematic for the Fed GSX, and if so could you please use the NCC-1821 USS Sakharov? (Sakharov was the ship which explored the Omega Octant for five years, from Y214-Y219 - as detailed in the timeline seen in both the Omega Master Rulebook and Module Omega 5.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  14. MarianLH

I don't want cover art for its own sake. I want a pretext for Icy_Penguigo to do a CG model.

Marian

15. Icy_Penguigo

Yep, this is awesome. Totally awesome. I love it. Keep going!:techman:

Also, in case you haven't seen it yet, I e-mailed you high-res orthos of the ship.

16. Icy_Penguigo

It actually has been on a cover that I've done, but it was one of my early works and the model I used is badly outdated now(It was one of the originals from my SFC mod).

Now that I've been undertaking my long-term project of making all new models, I only really have time to make new ships as they're needed. The Fed BCH just hasn't come up again yet. Honestly though, I might just try to make one anyway, since it's a good one to have in the ship library.

17. MarianLH

I know. That's why I said to tell Steve to put it on the cover of something. :D

That would be totally awesome.

Marian

18. Relayer

Relayer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You had an older hires model that you did of the FBCH. I have a pic somewhere on my old PC's HDD (Along with an old hires D7). I don't know how I missed them while transfering files to my new PC.

Here's one of a CA and DN that I do have on this computer. Bring back any memories? ;)

circa 2002. Do you still have these meshes?

[​IMG]

19. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

You are correct sir!

The New Jersey class is indeed the BCJ.

Vance is also correct about using the Kirov class. The only difference between the three classes of Federation Battlecruiser is the pair of weapons mounted at the base of the neck. The Bismarck class (BCF) has Gorn Plasma Torpedoes, The Kirov class (BCG) has Drone Launchers, and the New Jersey class (BCJ) has Photon Torpedoes. Otherwise, the three classes are identical.