NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I wondered why fire started emerging from my ears all of a sudden.

Word out of Kansas City is that Clark Hunt and Joey Dorsey aren't interested in drafting a quarterback at #1 overall, in spite of how much Cassel blows ... which is actually a really smart move. The only thing worse than having no quarterback is blowing an overall first pick on one and still having no quarterback.

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the second year in a row, an AFC West team has poached one of Denver's coordinators... Mike McCoy (Offensive coordinator) is now the head coach of San Diego.

While it is still early, I'm excited by the fact that for the first time in 7 years, it looks like Denver might keep a defensive coordinator for more than one year.

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way the D played on Saturday, I'm less optimistic about this being a good thing.

4. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They had a one game meltdown after kicking ass all season long- I'm thrilled that Del Rio might be sticking around.

5. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like it's Trestman. Bringing his brand of hard-nosed French Canadian football or whatever to the NFC North. I'd still prefer Bevell who I think will fail as an NFL head coach given the opportunity, as opposed to Trestman where it's just an assumption.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Thoughts on Monte Kiffin as a Dallas D Coordinator. I'm expecting a hybrid Tampa 2 4-3 defense. The only problem is that the Cowboys are going to need good safety play and a supplemental pass rush other than Demarcus Ware. Ware might be a little too much on the downside of his career to put fingers in the dirt on the line and win battles up front. Maybe with the return of guys like Sean Lee and Jay Ratliff things will improve. Still think Rob Ryan got a bad deal there.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

ESPN.com has the story too.

This means Tice is out, which is for the best. I don't think he really got anyone's attention.

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Whew, it's a good thing I didn't rush to Vegas and put money on the Ducks to win the BCS next season. I guess my money is still safe on the Alabama three-peat.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I'm certainly surprised. I had written him off. All new coaches have risks and I think College coaches even more so. However, he was the one they wanted so let's see how this plays out.

11. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The Bears are thinking outside of the box, which is, well...different for them. At least Trestman's got some credentials:

17 years in the NFL...

-Reached Super Bowl XXXVII as Offensive Coordinator/QB coach of the Oakland Raiders
    -Reached two AFC Championship games as Offensive Coordinator/QB coach of the Oakland Raiders (2002) & Cleveland Browns (1989)
    -Twice coordinated the #1 passing offense in NFL (49ers in 1995, Raiders in 2002)
    -13 Playoff appearances coaching with the Browns (Bernie Kosar), 49ers (Steve Young), Cardinals (Jake Plummer), Lions (Scott Mitchell) & Raiders (Rich Gannon)
    -Coached NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 2002 (QB Rich Gannon)
    -Served as Offensive Coordinator during Jerry Rice's record-setting season of 1,848 yards and 15 TDs in 1995
    -Guided 49ers to the #1 and #2 ranked passing offenses in the NFL as Offensive Coordinator in 1995 and 1996
    -Directed the Cardinals offense to their 1st playoff victory in 51 years

He's also worked with both Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell before they entered the NFL so the guy's clearly not the newbie with only CFL experience that some clueless fans are painting him out to be.

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

And after the Steve Spurriers of the world, I suspect most teams were shying away from bringing college coaches into the pro game. Then all of a sudden we has Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh producing such quick turnarounds, and on top of that a boom in rookie QB's handling pro duties so well. Put those two together, and maybe that's why CKelly and BKelly were so interesting to the Eagles

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not too thrilled about it either -- I'm a Raiders fan.

14. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I figured he would be. It's too bad he didn't get to start in Seattle, but I don't think anyone over there expected Wilson to come on as strongly as he did. I think Flynn would do well in Kansas City.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Is Trestman the iggillitimate son of Emery? A clone maybe?

[​IMG]

17. Sheep

I'm surprised to see I'm not the only one who thought this when reading about Trestman's hiring on various sites. They really don't look that much alike but I guess it's due to relatively generic features and the glasses.

18. Timby

Every offensive and defensive coach on the Bears' staff, with the exception of defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, has been released. I don't think Cutler's going to be too happy about Jeremy Bates' dismissal.

19. Sheep

Not surprising that a new coach wants to bring in his own guys. The only surprise to me was Toub leaving early to take the exact same role in KC--I assume he saw the writing on the wall.

People complain about the same faces playing musical chairs around the league (who will forget the three-headed Martz/Tice/Marinelli monster?) so I hope this is a good break from that.

20. Timby

Toub was the most frustrating departure, but the least surprising: He had been looking to leave since at least 2010, and reading between the lines it seems he had a really tense negotiation for his extension in 2011 after interviewing for the Miami head coach job (which I'm going to guess is due to Angelo lowballing him). I believe he was also denied permission to interview for a few other vacancies last year and before.

Toub is directly responsible for Devin Hester having any worth whatsoever. He's going to be missed a lot.

I guess I'm just not a huge fan of blowing up a 10 - 6 team's entire coaching staff (outside of Tice. Fuck you, Mike Tice), and I'm still not a fan of the decision to fire Lovie. I know that Trestman isn't a a complete rube, but he's been out of the league for eight years, and gameplanning has changed a lot since then, while he's had success in Montreal because, to some extent or another, Anthony Calvillo is a beast of a man who just signed a two-year extension at age 40 and is without a doubt the greatest quarterback to never play in the NFL. As I said earlier, praying for Marv Levy but terrified of getting Rod Rust.

The guy was passed over for Jerry fuckin' Kill for the Minnesota Gophers job, for heaven's sake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.