The Snowmen Grading and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Dec 25, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Snowmen?

1. God bless us, every one! (Fantastic)

45.3%
  2. Full of Christmas cheer (Very Good)

32.4%
  3. Not a classic, but jolly good fun (Good)

17.3%
  4. Not enough Robot Santas (Fair)

2.9%
  5. Bah humbug! (Terrible)

2.2%
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Shades of the orignal era TARDIS control room in the new set.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Oh, and FFS dial back the having people say "Doctor who?" half a dozen fucking times in every episode. Yes, we know it's the anniversary story arc, but, please, show some subtlety - that horse is not just dead, it's been boiled down to glue and you're now whipping a pot of Pritt-stick

3. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're saving that for the episode "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" I'd imagine.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

thought it was brilliant.

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clara's DOB: November 23rd.

Don't think we'll be seeing much of her past the Anniversary story...

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Why not ?

7. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Ooh, nice pickup.

Loved it. Got shivers when she mentioned Souffles.

8. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will be watching this tomorrow when it is released in itunes. :)

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoyed it more than last year's though not as much as A Christmas Carol. All those hating on the new TARDIS interior are eating their words hopefully (ironic that the majority of that crowd are the 'wait until you see it on screen' crowd whenever someone says something negative about nu-Trek).

I'm not sure about all this mystery surrounding Clara. I really enjoy the down-to-the-basics stand alone episodes (the River Song / Melody arc nearly had me tuning out) so I hope it doesn't over shadow everything.

10. Lonemagpie

On a note related to tonight's Dr Who, lovely surprise to hear Matt Smith doing the continuity announcing before the news!

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

As far as these things go, it was fair. Nothing particularly offensive (although the overuse of "Doctor WHOOOO?!" has been mentioned, and it is now beyond stupid) although literally everything in this was just explained away with no consequences and no explanations - stuff just happens because.

It was literally nothing more than pretty pictures. At least Jenna-Louise Coleman certainly makes everything shine when she's on screen.

12. Lonemagpie

Gatiss doing his Scottish accent from Crooked House...

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The episode in itself was a lot of fun, with a couple of remarkable moments (the Doctor's cloud in particular), although in the end it was nothing groundbreaking. Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman acting with one another is not something I'm likely to get tired of, though. They were a joy to watch.

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

it was ok.

did anyone else find the jump from the dr on the phone to suddenly being in the snowball room really jarring?

15. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did! Back in the Children in Need thread in November. Mind you, I had heard a rumour or two so I was cheating a bit...

On the subject of sound, did you spot that the new console has some of the sound effects from the 1970s/80s era? Don't think that was the case with the last two...

16. Lonemagpie

They did have- ISTR it did the landing bleep when River piloted it

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole thing did just kind of stop, rather than have any sort of ending, didn't it? And we never did find out how Doctor Simian became so rich powerful – I'd been thinking the Great Intelligence pulled strings for him, but that assumption fell flat once it was revealed that the voice was just Simian's reflection, and the whole deal fizzled out. Ah well. It otherwise felt in keeping with "A Christmas Invasion," which is still my favorite of the specials, in that it was all about starting a new status quo and setting the Doctor off on his next season's adventures. So that was nice. Otherwise it was filled with the standard Moffat tomfoolerly, which is fun in small doses but is wearing a bit thin after three straight season of it.

The new console room looked better in action than it did in the promo pic, but I still don't like it that much. It's at its best when all the lights and doohickys are going crazy, but that apparently happens only when the TARDIS is dematerializing. The rest of the time, they relied on tight camera angles, keeping the background out of focus and filling the set with smoke (!) to make it look decent. I can only hope they'll refine the set over the course of the season and add more detail. Doing something to break up those staircases and the floor would do wonders.

That said, the show finally gave me the shot I've wanted to see for years now – the lovely tracking shot following the Doctor and Clara as they enter the TARDIS. It was even a wobbly hand-held camera at eye-level, for the "you-are-there" feel, which was how I'd always pictured it should be done. Very nice!

18. Lonemagpie

Looking at the Dr Who trailer frame by frame, it's *not* an Ice Warrior type clamp-hand - it just looks like it from the angle after the one frame where you can see the fingers. Ah well.

19. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if we saw more of the TARDIS interior in these shots from the trailer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They could be random alien spaceship sets, of course, but the style is kind of similar to the new console room.

20. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Just under three and a half hours until the BBCA airing. I'm finally caught up on the first five eps of this series, so I'm looking forward to finally being able to sit in on a live commentary.

I haven't been this psyched for a new ep of DW in a long time. Hope it's as good as I think it will be.

:techman: