Revisiting "old" movies

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Oct 20, 2014.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

We all have them.. movies we liked so much that when they came out we have watched them so many times we could repeat dialogue and knew every fine detail. Time passes and instead of watching them on a weekly basis we watch them every few months, then once every few years when there is a rerun on TV.

But every once in a while you still pop it in to have fun.

My most recent example is Finding Nemo

At the time everybody was talking about it and quoting lines back and forth (there was rarely a day in the office where someone wouldn't start off with "Mine!" and then everybody would go haywire :lol::lol:). I love the visual artwork, the story with the big heart and above all the characters and the humor they bring.

Coincidentally the main characters of Nemo and Marlin were not even the most interesting but without Dory and all the others the film wouldn't have worked they way it did. I have now just laughed my ass off at the sea turtles and their laid back, cool surfer dude attitude, still find the sharks creepy and everybody else is hilarious.

That one is and will always be a timeless classic and one of Pixar's best.

What are your once in a blue moon favorites that you nearly forgot but whenever you see them you are instantly back in?

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

"Finding Nemo" is one of my favourite movies because it's a compelling story with lots of fun moments and great attention to detail and characters. But it doesn't quite fit the description of what you're talking about because I haven't actually seen it that often.

Probably the closest for me would be "Der Wixxer" which also gets bonus points for being a somewhat embarrassing entry on the favourite movie list for anyone with pretensions of being an intellectual (like me).

I have seen it so often I can quote whole chunks of dialogue, its jokes are very silly and downright juvenile (which is why I love them, I suppose), and the plot has some problems. I recently watched it again after a long time and it still made me laugh. And some of the quotes are just great. It also has the funniest scene of gruesome death I know and a great bike chase scene.

3. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Absent most of the Star Trek movies and episodes, I would have to say my/our go to movie for bantering back and forth would be "Blazing Saddles."

The whole damn movie is a line! :)

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

HIjol beat me to the obvious Any Star Trek Movie answer.

Other than that, Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters are the first to come to mind.

I only really did that with two movies, Pulp Fiction (for a stage play/talent show in high school) and Fifth Element (not sure why on that one).

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My most recent revisiting of a film I used to watch really often is Kill Bill.

It still holds up, IMO. It's just so much fun.

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I honestly didn't like Finding Nemo. Never was a lead character (Nemo's father) more annoying. He spends the entire film saying "Nemo! Neeemooo!" And the animation looked so good it was like a fish tank but as a fan of The Little Mermaid it was so perfect it was without charm. My opinion..

Just to pass the time, to have something in that enjoy I enjoy watching, is First Contact. I even acknowledge and enjoy all of it's flaws, because it's still fun to watch after seeing it dozens of times.

Hunt for Red October, I watch that a lot.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching The Blues Brothers in HD was like revisiting an old friend but also seeing all of the richness of the movie for the first time.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

GHOSTBUSTERS!

"Yes sir, it's true. This man has no dick..."

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the first movie that came to my mind as well. I was a huge fan of the Kill Bill movies when they came out, but for whatever reason hadn't rewatched them in 7 or 8 years. But thankfully they were still just as awesome and badass as ever.

And the same goes for Pulp Fiction. It's been even longer since I saw that one, and I actually put off rewatching it because I feared it would be dated and not hold up as well. But surprisingly it hardly feels dated at all (except perhaps for the clunky 90s cell phones).

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My favorite film to rewatch is one made before I was born, Humphrey Bogart's The Big Sleep (1946). There's even a Star Trek connection, since Elisha Cook Jr. is in it at his prime. Unfortunately, I only have it on VHS.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"Somebody's always giving me guns."

"I can do what where? Oh no, I wouldn't like that. Neither would my daughter. <click>
    "I hope the sergeant never traces that call."

Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time, but The Big Sleep and The Princess Bride are right up there as far as quotable movies go.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, aside from the Star Trek and Star Wars films (obviously), I'm partial to Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Corvette Summer, which was a movie starring Mark Hamil right after he did the first Star Wars. The Corvette was ugly as sin, but I enjoy the characters, soundtrack, and story.

Oh, also, pretty much any sci-fi movie from the 1950-1970 period. I particularly like The Time Tunnel (1960), First Men in the Moon (1964), and Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969). All made before my time, (although the last one was close), but who cares?

14. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Two words: Mrs. Doubtfire! :) That movie never gets old. I love it.

Same with Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Both of those movies just crack me up.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The 1980 FLASH GORDON, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, and just about any old Universal monster movie . ..

16. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Your father was Frankenstein, but your mother was the lightning!" :cardie:

There are lots of movie I can remember many lines from. But the old movies I default to are:

Clue (Old Dark House comedy from the 80s)
    Dune (the first half, anyway)
    Existenz
    Trekkies I & II (seriously!)

And more recently I've found I enjoy rewatching The Three Musketeers - the Paul WS Anderson version!

Three exclamation marks in one post. That may be a record for me.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Lots of good picks. ^All of Dune rocked btw.

18. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek movies.
    Goonies
    Robin Hood Men in tights
    Aladdin
    Matilda (yeah sucker for campy stuff. Loved Danny Davito in it)
    Batman '89 one.
    TMNT movies
    Princess Bride
    Independence Day
    Gone With the Wind

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I can rewatch lots of classic comedies over and over. I've memorized dozens of lines from the early Paramount Marx Brothers movies, Blazing Saddles, Some Like It Hot (still the best men-in-drag comedy ever), and Woody Allen's earlier films.

I assume you mean The Time Machine.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I did.

Although, for older TV, I like The Time Tunnel too.