Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey 2x01

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yes, you do! :)

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty girls in proper clothes make for a decent series. :D

Actually, I don't really watch it regularly, but what I have seen is OK. Maggie Smith is good in it. Mind you, I don't think it's a patch on Upstairs, Downstairs. I really enjoyed its original ITV production, and the BBC mini-series updating of it a couple of Christmases ago. I think it's coming back for a full series later this year. Looking forward to that.

3. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I thought they packed too much onto the Christmas episodes of upstairs downstairs.
    The next series of upstairs downstairs starts February 19th, but because of Jean Marsh's stroke I've heard she is missing from a few eps.http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-ra...pstairs-downstairs-downton-abbey-heidi-thomas

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I've been considering watching that but I have no idea if it's good or I'd like it. I only started watching Downton Abbey awhile ago when I found it on Netflix. I had never heard of it before, and suddenly it seems hugely popular, even here!

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they cut the commercials... :)

Seriously, though. When the first season aired on Masterpiece, the seven episodes were re-edited to fit into four 90-minute slots. We didn't lose anything, but some scenes were rearranged.

For the second season, PBS is airing it without the commercials, and they combined the first two episodes into a single movie-length premiere.

6. Holdfast

That's true, a lot did happen. I figured it was simply because they wanted to cram lots of action into the mini-series, in order to better attract a full series order. Hopefully now they have that, it will be paced/structured in a somewhat calmer fashion. In particular, with these types of show, you need to build up some emotional engagement with the characters before you throw them into dire circumstances. The Xmas episodes rushed that process too much so lacked some impact.

I didn't realise it was starting so soon! Thanks for the heads-up! Something to look forward to on the telly. :cool:

Shame about Jean Marsh. Her performance was the best thing about the Xmas run, esp. in the first episode.

If you like Downton, chances are you'll like Upstairs, Downstairs. The 70s original series is now looks very old & creaky, but I think it still holds up in terms of the stories. Another old period series that I think Downton fans would like would be The Forsyte Saga although I should warn you it's filmed in B&W. Back in the land of colour TV is The Onedin Line. More recently (from 90s) but in the same general vein of soapy period drama, there's The House of Elliot, which I think is a woefully underrated series.

I believe the formula for a British series cracking the USA is:

(prettiness of the cast x how many years ago it is set x number of corsets in any given episode)/(number of indecipherable regional dialects)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. Kestra

I have Forsyte Saga in my instant queue but haven't watched it yet. Is it (or any of the others) terribly sad? I can stand old sets but not too much sadness.

8. Holdfast

Assuming you're looking at the old b&w series (I didn't get round to watching the remake they did sometime in the last decade), then I'd say it can be tragic at times, but the overall feel of the series is bittersweet rather than maudlin. A perennial theme is the generational aspect: some things change, some things don't, tragedy and happiness co-exist in families and ebb and flow over time.

If you want a "happier" series, go for one of the other series I mentioned instead. House of Elliot has a lighter feel (though obviously like any drama it some sad events within it), partly because it's set in the roaring 20s and the business the sisters work in is naturally more cheery. I really liked it a lot.

9. Serial thread killer

I loved house of Elliot, and would love to watch all the Onedin line but I have only caught parts of the odd episode on what was UK drama and yesterday.

10. Holdfast

I only saw Onedin Line in reruns too, but have managed to catch a pretty good percentage of it I think. The stories and relationships are engaging, and even the sets aren't all that rickety.

Funnily enough, it reminded me very strongly of Howard's Way, which I did see first-run. Don't know if you ever saw that; a modern-day drama (glorified soap, really, like all the series mentioned in this thread) set in the yachting world. Great series that, with a cracking theme tune, and so wonderfully redolent of the 1980s.

Given the distance from that era now, I suppose you could even call it a period drama now. Certainly the clothes qualify. :)

11. Serial thread killer

I've never seen Howards way I think I was at school when it was on.

12. Kestra

I don't have anything new to add but I can't wait for the next ep of Downton Abbey. This is really the only show I look forward to every week and I can't remember the last time I felt like this. It's just fun to watch.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I notice that Downton Abbey is on the cover of TV Guide this week .. . .

14. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I did not like the "Patrick" story. It felt entirely too contrived.

Sir Richard is now officially totally creepy. You do not win a woman's affections by threatening her.

I hope Robert does not dally with the house maid.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well the point of it was that it was convoluted. It's supposedly something that happened a lot in both world wars.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet again, I feel for poor Edith and her broken heart.

17. Kestra

He's totally going to. Which would suck because I like the idea of him and Cora being happy together.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Iain Glenn has a thing for these types of "romantic" men since he also plays Jorah Mormont.

19. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

I hope he doesn't either. I like him, he seems to be a fair master; like finding Bates and asking him to come back to work. Don't cheat, Lord Grantham!

20. Kestra

What if he does and he knocks her up and she has a boy? I'm assuming he wouldn't be recognized as an heir but could be interesting still.