Time Warner pulls CBS station signals, L.A., NYC

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by gblews, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not really having a problem with that. :shrug:

2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel sorry for all of the people affected by this nonsense.

3. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every TW customer is affected now even if your local affiliate isn't off the system. ALL CUSTOMERS ACROSS THE US have lost CBS on demand channel AND our Time Warner isp's have been banned from streaming CBS shows online.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Shit, I didn't know Showtime was a CBS channel. I haven't check my PVR for Sunday's Dexter yet.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I really, really don't. Its a TV channel, no ones lives are going to be even marginally impacted by not seeing Dexter. Last year, we lost the NFL Network (something I watched ALOT of) for several months when Time Warner bought our local cable company. I simply found something else to do. Rarely do I watch NFL Network now. :shrug:

6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, by that logic, if you plopped down $80 for a Star Trek Blu-Ray set, and found out halfway through the season that CBS home video decided through negotiation breakdown that they couldn't put the rest of the season on disc and were going to replace the last half season with episodes from Everybody Loves Raymond, you wouldn't have a problem with it? Spending your hard earned money on the set?

7. BillJ

This has got to be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.

I don't know about you, but I've had cable through various providers for the last thirty years. I can't remember a year where they weren't negotiating with one content provider or another and there have been many years where we've temporarily lost programming due to drawn out negotiations. DirecTV, Dish and other cable providers go through the same negotiations every single year with one content provider or another. I was with Insight before Time Warner took over and went through the same shit time and again. It's simply part of the subscription TV model.

Whispers that I hear have CBS/Showtime asking for a 600% increase in the carry fees that they receive from Time Warner. Imagine if Time Warner sent you a letter telling you they were going to increase your cost of Showtime six-fold just so you could watch Dexter on time! So it's no surprise that CBS held the premiere of Showtime's most popular show until two days after their contract with Time Warner expired, knowing that it would spark this type of response.

It's just TV, so whenever this happens I find something else to watch. If there's nothing better to watch I'll go read a book or play a video game or *gasp* go outside.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Blu-Ray analogy doesn't hold, because typically seasons are released all at once. You may have some jackass company that does a "Volume 1" and "Volume 2" but in all instances of this that I've seen, the full season does get released.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If CBS is increasing the price they charge TW, why shouldn't TW be able to pass that price onto the consumer? :confused:

10. BillJ

Because they're eeeeeevvilllllllll! :lol:

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Have fun when your dish provider does exactly the same thing the next time some company decides to be a dick like CBS. Since, you know, its their unreasonable demands that are causing the problem, not Time Warner.

12. Savage Dragon

Yeah, didn't the Dish Network have the same problem with AMC right around the time a new season of Walking Dead was set to premiere?

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got plenty of shows to watch, I just don't want to wait a year for the Blu-Ray of a show to come out so I can finish watching a season I'm currently paying for anyway.

I also love the cavalier attitudes that say "It's just Dexter! Go outside fatass!" I can guaran-damn-tee you if it was a Star Trek spinoff that was off the air, there would be a shitstorm of epic proportions and this thread would already be 5000 pages long :rolleyes:

14. BillJ

One, since this is a Trek board I'd imagine it would be a topic of discussion (though I wouldn't be upset and threatening to cancel my cable). Two, I think my point was that this simply isn't Time Warner's fault nor is it something that is unique to them.

How would you have felt if Time Warner simply gave into CBS' demands then sent you a bill with Showtime being three or four times its current rate?

You're blaming the wrong company for not being able to watch Showtime.

15. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure did and this time its my turn.

16. BillJ

Thing is: the missed episodes are likely to show up on Showtime On-Demand almost immediately after the dispute is settled. So the only way people will have to wait a year to see the episodes on home-video is if it takes more than a year to settle the dispute. :shrug:

17. Savage Dragon

I get what you're saying but it's still kind of annoying to be in the middle of an arc and then suddenly having your access to the show cut off. Whatever. First world problems and all that.

18. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So nobody thinks this is the moment when the two beast cause mortal damage and the bundle system dies. I know I don't want to pay a premium to get NCIS and then Revolution when NBC gets matching funds. However without the bundle who will pay premium for Keeping up with North West?

19. BillJ

I can imagine it being an annoyance. But it's tough to take anyone serious when they go overboard saying they're going to cancel their cable because their access to a channel has been interrupted for a short time. :techman:

20. BillJ

Here's an article about the dispute:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...eatens-pull-dozens-channels-article-1.1420602

This obviously isn't Time-Warner's fault as they've agreed to pay CBS four times what they currently receive per subscriber.

Time-Warner has to take a stand at some point or else the costs of subscription TV will get even more outlandish as it's time for more content providers to negotiate deals.