A Khan Sequel ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by srombomb, May 12, 2009.

?

Khan in the sequel?

1. YES

13.9%
  2. NO

86.1%
  1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Re: Khan in ST XII - Yes or No?

i wanna rephrase this and echo an earlier poster. i'm sure orci and kurtzman could write a good khan script. i'm sure abrams could produce and/or direct a good khan movie, but please, don't waste your talents on khan. if anyone ever reads this, i know you're up to the challenge. star trek is bigger than kirk and khan. seriously.

2. urbandk

I was beginning to think 100% anti-Khan was unrealistic...

3. anothertrekfan

anothertrekfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Khan? Been there, done that.

Next.

4. Garibaldi O'brien

Garibaldi O'brien Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Khan seems to be going down in flames for the sequel...

What of a big screen variant of WNMHGB with Gary Mitchell as the big bad... We've already seen Delta Vega.

5. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

No. I would like to see new stories and new villains. I was never a huge fan of Khan anyway. One movie with him as a villain was enough for me.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

NOT another "Big baddie" with personal connections to Kirk or Spock. The universe is NOT that small. Do some friggin' exploring of "strange NEW worlds", "seek out NEW life and NEW civilizations", "boldly go where NO ONE/MAN has gone before" for cryin' out loud.

7. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Garibaldi O'brien

Garibaldi O'brien Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. They do have a whole five year mission ahead of them, and I'd love to see something truly original myself, but I can't help think of the dozen or so TOS episodes that would make excellent fodder for a feature film.

9. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, but it won't happen. This is what I've said in numerous posts around here. The success of the current film -- and I'm a fan of the current film, don't get me wrong -- means that we are never going to see those kinds of stories you speak of again, or at least not for a long time.

Paramount has taken the standard Hollywood view that audiences won't be interested in a film about exploration, seeking out new worlds, boldy going, and all that. Instead, it has to be action, action, action and nothing else. Sure, you might be able slip a good character moment in here and there. But an actual plot that's about something other than fighting the baddie? They don't think that will work. And the mega-success of this film will only serve to reinforce that view to them.

Look at the first six Trek films. We actually got quite a variety there. We did have action/adventure with Khan. But we also had 'high concept sci-fi' with TMP, comedy with TVH, rather intimate character drama with TSFS, and so on. But starting somewhere around the time of Generations, the idea that you could tell a variety of stories all under the banner of Star Trek was jettisoned.

No, I don't expect to see much exploring from this new series of films, except perhaps as a very brief set up for finding a new bad guy to fire big guns at.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Would the two posters who voted "YES" mind explaining their choice?
    I'm honestly quite curious. :alienblush:

11. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Khan = no thanks. Let's see something new. That's the whole point of them rebooting the prequel universe without the trappings of regular prequel universes.

It would be a mistake not to do something ENTIRELY new.

12. Shaper079

Shaper079 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you want to pull elements of ToS, I'd like to see something along the lines of the Corbomite Manuever. Not the same story, but Kirk being Kirk, pulling a bluff when his gut told him too, running his ship with an iron hand, treating the Prime directive as a guideline rather than a rule, you know the guy I mean. I wanna see the James T. Kirk that broke all the rules to do the right thing. The first movie was about how Kirk HAD to be the Captain of the Enterprise; now show us why.

Also in Space Seed Khan held no malice toward Kirk, in fact he considered the exile quite reasonable. If they bring him back could it not be that he sees the error of his ways? Could Khan in a rebooted timeline be an ally?

13. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Khan again -- but I still voted no. I mean for what they're getting paid I really think these writers need to come up with something new and fresh. It's complete bullshit if they reuse Khan and it's the cheap way out.

14. urbandk

another reason why khan would be irritating... it's more time travel, albeit in an indirect way.

15. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

No movie is going to be about exploring strange new worlds, or Paramount would be exploring strange empty box office receipts. That has to be left for the (hopefully) next series. The movies have to have action and a villain. Otherwise, you will lose viewers who we gained with this movie. And it can't retread the same story.

16. urbandk

yeah i agree that there has to be a villain... but look at The Thing for example. the villain was a bizarre alien that was hardly on screen.

17. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Will this formula ever get tired...?? I understand action is necessary but I like the dialogue the most.....

Is there any way we can...and I quote John Cleese or whoever said it "and now for something completely different"...can we get some of that???
    After reading the article posted here on May 12 "Star Trek XII: charting an unpredictable future"...I highly highly doubt it. I think we'll be seein' Khan next go round.

18. urbandk

don't give up hope. i hope that a unified front of fans, fans who liked and disliked this new movie, might have some sway against khan in a sequel. i wish there were a way to e-mail the results of this informal poll to orci et al.

19. IvosevicJ

IvosevicJ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I definitely agree that the Klingons are likely candidates for villains in Number 2, especially since they are so well known. But I think Nero screwed them up pretty badly too. Remember the Narada destroyed 46 Klingon ships in 25 years of sitting around waiting for Spock to show up.

20. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

We've already seen Khan so what would be the point in another movie of essentially the same story? If TPTB insist on pulling from TOS episodes, then I suggest The Arena, Balance of Terror, or The Doomsday Machine. New Voyages had a new take on Doomsday Machine that would be intersting to explore.