New Trek Descriptions in PB Spring '09 Catalog Desiny/Post De Spoilers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: New Trek Descriptions in PB Spring '09 Catalog Desiny/Post De Spoi

Because the people that the catalog is meant to be read by already know that -- and so should any reader who's ever read one of those descriptions and then found the final book to be different from what it claimed. And because it would be annoying and redundant to put the same disclaimer at the start of every one of the dozens and dozens of entries in the catalog.

Ultimately, it's caveat emptor. Individuals should be capable of applying skepticism as a matter of course, without needing constant disclaimers to remind them of what should be common sense. People who just uncritically swallow what they hear have only themselves to blame when they get it wrong.

Which are also apparently the most inaccurate descriptions of those listed.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what i don't understand is, why create a catalogue of new product for potential customers (the retailers) and then fill it full of inaccurate crap?

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

:evil:

4. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because bookvendors need the solicitation process to begin as early as possible, and publishers can't always offer final information that far in advance for every project on the schedule. For many books, they can and do provide accurate info. For others, it's not always possible. So they simply do the best they can at the time when solicitation info is due.

This is especially true for media tie-in lines like Star Trek, which can be impacted negatively by planning too far ahead.

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Because they are not the end customers. They don't give a flying fuck if Treason is set three years in the future or three years in the past or 373 years ahead in a parallel timeline. All they care is, Does this sound like something my customers are going to want?

Plus, what Marco said.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  6. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

The problem is, when people look at descriptions for example at Amazon they read the text and it does not even occur to them that this is not necessarily the final version. Without reading the Trek BBS and Psi Phi, I wouldn`t even know that such catalogues exist.

Yes, of course, you can see the real version after you bought the book. But I think you should not underestimate how important first impressions can be. An interesting, appealing cover is no less important than a backcover description that grabs people`s attention. I pre-order most of my books on the Internet instead of waiting until I can read the real back cover text in a bookshop before buying it.

7. William Leisner

How is that a problem when it's not an Amazon description?

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because Amazon tends to post false/outdated informations (placeholder/early covers etc.) and never change it after more accurate informations are available? I can't really say if they ever have posted things from the catalogs since I don't tend to read either, but it certainly is something I think they would do.

9. Christopher

That doesn't change a thing. Caveat emptor is an idea that's been around for millennia, which you can tell from the fact that it's in Latin. It applies in every transaction. Consumers should have the sense to be skeptical of everything they're considering spending money on, regardless of what it is. That's just a basic, universal principle of life.

Besides, anyone who's used Amazon.com for any length of time should already know better than to trust it.

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Even you should know better than that. Oh, I forgot who I was talking to.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They do. I've seen them do it for a bunch of the Trek books.

The only reason I posted the stuff to Memory Beta was because I figured some preliminary information was better than no information. But then I realized that alot of people probably don't realize that the stuff from the catalog isn't final, so I took it down.
    As for posting it here, I figured as long as I made sure the point out what Marco and co. have said about it, it would probably be ok. I also thought everyone else would enjoy at least being able to get some vague ideas of what to expect from these books.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess. I just thought people might like to see what it said.

14. Christopher

I think that at the very least, posting the catalog descriptions here can serve a purpose, because it gives the authors and editors the chance to comment on their inaccuracy or unreliability and help cancel out misinformation.

15. William Leisner

By the way, I'd just add here: bad-mouthing authors at MB for daring to say anything negative about what gets posted there? Great way of establishing your standards! :techman:

(You'll note my original post spoke not of any specific wiki, but of wikis in general, which by definition let anyone post anything.)

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sorry dude. That was completely uncalled for. Honestly, I was feeling a little miffed when I first read the comment because JD has always been an enthusiastic contributor, and it seemed (to me, at least indirectely) as if you were dissing him. Also, we really do try to be as accurate as possible and the admins there are very good at rooting out inaccuracies and the flat-out bullshit. I took your comment the wrong way and over-reacted. Again, deepest apologies.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In my day job, I work with the text cited in the original post. That text is how Pocket's sales department represents the books. (Though occasionally with more spelling errors -- I received the promo text for A Singular Destiny on Thursday, and it was riddled with the kind of errors a capuchin monkey on crack would have made. There was also an additional phrase that the character was "a hero in the 'Jack Ryan' mold.") It's frustrating to me to know that Pocket wants me to misrepresent their books. Frankly, if I get the text cited above for Full Circle -- which both Marco and Kirsten have said is incorrect, and based on past experience I have no reason to think I won't receive it in about a month's time -- I'll probably make something absurd up that bears no relation to the book. "Pregnant with Chakotay's child and mourning his untimely death from an accidental autoerotic death, Janeway resigns from Starfleet and joins an intergalactic circus to find new meaning in her life. But when ghosts of the past surface, Janeway must call upon Tom Paris and the crew of the USS Voyager to deliver blow-bubbles to the Klingons lest a new interstellar war threaten." It needs some work, but it's a start. ;)

18. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I'd buy that book in a heartbeat.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's awesome. Don't change a word... unless you really want to add a magic unicorn.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I'm pretty sure that Kirsten needs to save something for the sequel. Like the magic unicorns, for instance.

However, I think the description needs this as well -- "Harry Kim receives a pony from a mysterious benefactor; could Kes have returned from the Delta Quadrant, and what might her presence mean for Seven of Nine's new Jell-O recipe cookbook?"