Jadzia Dax, not used in Ds9 how she was supposed to be?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by RaymondJames, Aug 27, 2008.

1. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

Its been awhile since I have watched a DS9 episode but it has come to me that Jadzia though used and well written wasn't used the way I thought they typically should of.

If memory serves me correctly she was Chief Science Officer. Yet if i do remember correctly she was rarely if ever used as a scientist or science officer. Spock would study things create theories and find explanations for strange creatures and such.

Jadzaia had not been used like this. She was either being Wofs spouse, Benjamins mentor and friend, a freind to Julian and Miles or at helm or in command of the Defiant.

Does anyone else see this or is it just me. Were there any episodes that she really served as a science officer?
    We knoe she had degrees in astrophysics, exoarchaeology, exobiology, and zoology. However, did we really see her as a scientist?

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    She was occasionally used as a scientist/science officer. But the problem, I think, was the actress. I couldn't stand her, and was glad to see her gone. She never acted like a science-oriented person.

3. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

Are all science-oriented people supposed to behave the same? I find that statement strange.

Anyway Dax as scientist was used sometimes. Not really during the Dominion War or every episode she was in.

Some examples though
    Emissary: Discovers the Bajoran wormhole.
    Shadowplay: The whole village and people are holograms
    Rivals: The laws of probability have changed!!!
    Playing God: I discovered a universe.
    The Quickening: Helping Bashir with the virus.
    Rejoined: Helping with the artificial wormhole thing
    Children of Time: Wants to investigate the planet.

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I think she acted more as a "science officer" during the first season. The function started to blur later on, having disappeared completely by the time she married Worf. I liked Jadzia, she was cool (in my opinion), and DS9 wasn't very focussed on science anyhow, being centred on characters, so I didn't miss that aspect much.

5. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What does a science-oriented person act like? I thought the character, and actress, were great. She really did seem to be the most mature and psychologically healthy person of everyone there. She was analytical, but she had a healthy joie de vivre. She was one of the first to see the Ferengi for who they were and not judge them for it. She balanced her love of Worf, and Klingon culture, with her own needs and wants. And she wasn't afraid of defending herself verbally or physically. She could tell people when they were being stupid or wrong and not be a jerk about it.

In terms of her being utilized as a science officer, the show had less sci-fi stuff anyway. They had so little need for a science officer during the war that after she died they didn't have an on-screen replacement. It was only one aspect her personality, but she certainly demonstrated her proficiency in it in "Emissary" for example.

6. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it seemed to me that pre-Defiant, all she did was Science. And after the Defiant she was kind of the jack of all trades helping Bashir or O'Brien when needed and flying the ship...
    DS9 didn't need a Spock involved focused on the science of everything...

7. Supernuke

Supernuke Commander Red Shirt

My feeling is that after the Dominion came into the picture, they couldn't explore the Gamma Quadrant much, so there was little use for her in that capacity.

8. Damask

Indeed. Like when Kira says they gave up the Bajoran caste system and everyone became a soldier during the occupation.

I think that as DS9 was more of an ensemble some of the science stuff was divided between Jadzia, O'Brien, Nog, Rom and Bashir (to a lesser extent).

She still did the science stuff when needed but her position as the 3rd (and 4th officer after Worf) gave her a different focus during the war.

9. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only time that I can readily recall Dax as science officer...

Kira: You have a better idea?
    Dax: I'm the science officer, it's my job to have a better idea.

10. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

A good list, and it's a solid, if simple, point that the Dominion War unfortunately placed Starfleet's continuing mission of scientific inquiry on the back burner while it fought to defend the Federation and its allies. As Dax's many lives left Jadzia with multiple skill sets to draw upon, it is only reasonable that other things she did well, such as piloting and commanding in Sisko's absence, came to the fore during that conflict. Regrettably, Jadzia did not survive, and while Ezri Dax likely had many of those scientific skills to draw on, her difficulties in adjustment and the demands of circumstance kept her from displaying them much in the episodes.

11. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Jadzia Dax was a 100% useless character to the DS9 show. Both in terms of the writing for her, and the horrible acting by Farrell. Jadzia is easily and by far the very worst character on DS9.

As for the point that she was 'sometimes' used as a science officer: 100% of those lines are completely inter-changeable with O'Brien. Could have never had Jadzia on the show, gave O'Brien all those lines, and nothing would change. Just goes to emphasize very clearly how generic, poorly-written and useless of a character Jadzia was.

12. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Since you're implying there is no difference between science and engineering, you could take O'Brien's lines and give them to Jadzia. Better yet no O'Brien at all would mean no Keiko and Molly, who were far more useless than anyone, let alone Jadzia. You could take Worf's lines and give them to O'Brien since Miles has more experience as a tactical officer then Worf. Contributions are best measured by what the character actually did, not just said. She was effectively used as a science officer until the war took over as the primary arc. Even then she commanded the Defiant in Sisko's absence, along with being his closest friend and confidant.

13. Damask

Agreed. Though I did enjoy the "Seige of Ar-558" where Ezri calls upon Jadzia and Tobin's memory to deal with mines. And that Sisko assigned her to that Sisko because she was still Dax.

The other episode (Field of Fire) went overboard though.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also liked Field of Fire mainly because Joran is the only past host that I think is interesting, the brilliant artist serial killer. Wish we'd seen maybe one or two extra episodes that dealt with him.

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 at the least amount of technobabble of ny Trek show other than TOS so there was les opportunity for her to spout scientific sounding dialog.

16. RaymondJames

Thanks for the feed back. Thats pretty much how I felt, Shew as more science like in season 1 but soon drifted away from that and by the time the war came she just had ateal unifourm for no reason. Personally I would of written her as changing into Operations, tactical or command divison.

However unlike some, I felt thatthe actress was good, the part may not of been important but she was likable, for me atleast. Her deathw as the worst written death of a main character I have ever seen, you couldn't even cry or get chocked up at it.:rolleyes: On stargate sg-1 when they wacked their reccurring character Doctor Fraiser you could get a little sad or pissed if you loved her :shifty: (Bastard!). And the speach/eulogy was very sad.

17. Damask

Well she was still the chief science officer on the Defiant/DS9 during the war. Even stuff like "One Little Ship". Besides we also had Worf changing to command and it's nice to have the uniform colour difference.

18. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's not true, but it is the Trek show with the least amount of technobabble after TOS and Enterprise.

19. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Characters are more than their jobs, especially on a show like DS9. I liked that since there wasn't much science to be done, they found other things to do with the character. They tapped into her history with Sisko for great effect in episodes like "In the Pale Moonlight" when she's serving as a Devil's Advocate. They remembered that her very old age had made her wise to what was good in life, so she had an appreciation for it, she seized every day, she had fun, she was bold, and she was smart. In that way here character was a meditation on life and death because both were so much a part of her history. They remembered that she had a history with some of the Klingon Empire's greatest warriors, so that, combined with here zest for life attracted her to Worf. She saw in him someone she could show how wonderful life could be and how to tap into his own heritage and move away from simply practicing Klingon rituals towards truly understanding the beauty and passion that made those rituals vibrant. She gave everyone a chance but stood up to those that wronged her or her friends.

In all of those ways, she wasn't quite like O'Brien. But yeah, if all you see in a character is who should say which system is down 47% then O'Brien or Nog would have sufficed.

I like Dax more than when the show was first-run, in part because she was underrated, attacked, and not taken seriously, but also because of what I've said above in this thread.

20. RaymondJames

Worf, he likes to change. Red-Gold-Red