X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think Mystique is more important than Magento in the assassination. Talks of seeing doubles of people confirm. Also while the movie is taking its own direction, its taking elements of the comics too. Kennedy is taking the place of Senator Kelly, which really ups the stakes. Mystique was leading the Brotherhood during that time in the comic.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I don't want to get into a whole JFK conspiracy thing, but the "magic bullet" theory has been thoroughly discredited by the simple fact that Connolly's seat was a couple feet further left than Kennedy's. Factoring that in, computer models have proven that a bullet fired from the depository window would have caused all the wounds attributed to the not-so-magic bullet. But it's such a well-known idea in our culture that I'll buy its use in an X-Men film.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I say the "magic bullet" was all Magneto.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think that's a good change (it also preserves the continuity of Senator Kelly in the first movie). Plus, the assassination of Kennedy just feels bigger. That makes me even more excited for this movie.

For what it's worth, I believe Magneto when he says he didn't assassinate Kennedy. I suspect that the magic bullet was just believed in order to convict him (a trial based more on fear of mutants than anything else if the website is to be believed). My guess is that Mystique killed Kennedy while disguised as Lee Harvey Oswald and that Magneto was simply blamed for it.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

An avenue of discussion that cropped up over at the Hype forums as a result of this Bent Bullet viral marketing is the idea that Wolverine's actions in 1973 might be what actually leads to the events of the OT and beyond rather than erasing all of those events, which is what many people seem to want.

6. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First of all, that bentbullet site is extremely impressive. I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked on the link, but it sure wasn't that.

So it looks like we have confirmation of two known characters being killed?

Magneto isn't the type of guy to lie about something like that. He'd claim his own actions, and do so with pride.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the site does seem to imply that after Magneto was imprisoned after the trial he stayed there and it made no mention of the other things he got up to in the X-men films.

8. The Old Mixer

^I just read through the site. It didn't seem to get into Magneto's fate after 1973 from what I saw.

I was also a little unclear as to how public Magneto's involvement was in the 1960s. There was a trial in which he demonstrated his mutant abilities, but he wasn't confirmed in the media as JFK's alleged assassin until 1973?

Nitpick: February 4, 1964 (the day of Magneto's trial) was not a Friday. This jumped out at me because Friday, February 7, 1964, is enshrined in history as the day that the Beatles arrived in America (more on that in a future signature).

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I don't think that the assassination of Kennedy will be what triggers the war-torn future of DoFP. I think if that were the case then the X-Men would be sending Logan back to 1963, not to what appears to be the early '70s when Nixon was still in office. I think what happens is that in the original timeline Nixon is assassinated, as well, and this finally triggers the conflict that creates the future the X-Men want to prevent from happening.

That's just a theory, of course. We do know that someone has been cast to play President Nixon, though I can't recall his name at the moment.

10. The Old Mixer

Also meant to note that it sounds like maybe someone was firing at Magneto, and he redirected the bullet? Or was the little girl who claimed she saw him do that a plant...?

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And, of course, that wasn't Erik photographed at Dealy Plaza, it was Raven.

12. The Old Mixer

I thought she was Oswald. This is even more confusing that RL Kennedy conspiracy theories....

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

OK, maybe Erik was there to stop her.

I think the tell that they are both being framed is that while the conspiracy theories are different, the actual historical events seem to be more or less intact.

Also, I agree with whoever said that if Erik had done it (or was involved) he would not deny it.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem with that idea would be that we know the events of the OT lead to The Wolverine which leads to DOFP and Wolverine being sent back in time in the first place.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read the article, and it definitely sounds to me like Mystique was the real shooter, disguised as Oswald, and Magneto was trying to stop here. I know in some of the discussions of the trailer, it was revealed that Raven and Eric have had some kind of a falling out by the '70s portion of the movie, perhaps this is part of it.
    I'm wondering if Ruby was controlled by a telepath, that was certainly the impression I got. Do we know what's become of Emma Frost by this point? I don't remember hearing anything about her.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It was already about a 99% chance we'd never see those two* again anyway, so may as well do away with them. The question is, did Azazel and Mystique do that nasty before he died, or does the movie-verse Nightcrawler have different parentage? ;)

*Interesting that they refer to Tempest, which is a codename that Angel did not use in First Class. I guess she started using it sometime between movies.

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

On the Wolverine blu-ray there is a set tour for this movie. Was around 3 minutes in length. Saw some sets, but there was one set that looked very cool and unseen before. Not sure how part of the story, but looked massive. Lots of massive columns.

It's something that you'll enjoy when get the blu-ray. They had only shot for a month when this was made. You see small bits of Patrick, Ian, Nicholas and Hugh. Ian's costume looks cool.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Do you mean the set that we see Colossus running through in the teaser?

The mansion looks great, love the "X" stairs. :)

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the Wolverine Blu-ray already out in some countries?

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral