Things I love about Kristen's "Eternal Tide"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, Sep 12, 2012.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey... I KNOW we have another thread on this, but I don't know how to do spoiler tags and so I thought a new thread was warranted to keep Teacake from cutting my heart out with a spoon. ;)

Ok... things I loved.

#1 JANEWAY'S BACK well Duh! :bolian: :bolian: :bolian:

#2 and CHAKOTAY'S GOT HER! :drool: :drool: :drool:

#3 The Q have CONFIRMED that if Admiral Janeway hadn't changed the time line then everyone would have been assimliated by the BORG.

Anyone else have things they love about this book that they'd like to share?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally have reading time today on the train!! I am so excited!!!

I will take pictures.

JRule'z you didn't expect me to NOT read the thread did you? Also I keep glancing at the one in Treklit through my fingers so I've absorbed rather a lot of spoilers now, LOL

Trek Into.. The Eternal Tide

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  3. Square

Square Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've noticed it puts the smack-down on anti-Janeway trolls.

:techman:

4. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

Aside from the above mentioned, I loved the metaphysics and the cool science stuff in this novel. And the whole cavern with the glowing star map was such a cool image. Wouldn't that be cool if in observatories they had hallways that lit up with constellations?

And yes, Q! And Q, and Q, and...Q! :D In my mind there can never be enough Q.

5. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Ensign Newbie

I must confess that I read the end of the book first. I just could not help myself. Lots of shippy, squishy goodness.

It was nice that Eden let Chakotay see Kathryn for the first time alone.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the any reason that i can find the word "latrine" from a word jumble of Eternal Tide?

7. Violet.Phoenix

I'm guilty of this too; I just couldn't resist :p. I love that Janeway and Chakotay are finally back together again and that they're so happy.

Plus, the first time that they say "I love you" to each other? Adorable:adore:

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey I can read Janeway/Chakotay fics for free online by the dozen. ;)

9. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

I loved that Kes(!) suddenly appeared and helped KJ w/ her "body image" at just the right time. Of course I loved the J/C stuff, and hope they can maintain their relationship. And I love lots that KJ will be an Admiral again (if a little surprised, lol).

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spirit guides show you what you need to see.

11. JanewayRulz!

Hallelujah! :angel:

:bolian: :bolian: :bolian:

I also liked the fact that the child had SUCH an impact on his parents.

She's not Fleet commander for nothing! ;)

I could NOT read the end first. I was so afraid the spoiler in the other thread was a trap, especially when the next line in the photograph of the book mentioned "BOTH" of their deaths. :wtf:

I loved the fact that Kes made it home and that Ocampa was a beautiful place again.

More so, I loved seeing Janeway's reaction to Kes & Seven. She had no compunction against wrapping her arms around Kes, but was as reserved with Seven as Seven was with her...

:sigh:

... well

... between those two one doesn't need anything except...

:hugegrin:

...that smile.

:beer:

Sounds like "the room of requirement" to me. ;)

12. Violet.Phoenix

That was so moving, seeing how much Q was willing to sacrifice for the sake of his son. To me it was the classic example of how a parent will give everything for their child, and Q's rage afterwards made complete sense because of that fact.

Plus the line "You have made an enemy of me today, Kathryn Janeway" is like literary ice water. Brilliant!:bolian:

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My spirit guide is a toilet?

If B'Elanna's spirit guide was a toilet, methinks that she wouldn't have been able to kill it so easily.

14. Galekarens

And of course, what I love most about The Eternal Tide that it did bring back Kathryn Janeway, even though the (then) editors said after Bef. Dishonor was published there were no plans to do so. (Of course now are maybe new editors, so it seems those (non) plans were changed.) Guess one never knows, does one, lol.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't want Q as an enemy. He can literally erase Janeway from existence with a thought. Is there going to be something that prevents him from doing this?

16. Galekarens

Maybe Q,Sr. would be forbidden to do that (just "erase" her) to KJ by the Continuum, well I suppose that he might now be KJ's enemy, and what he may want to do could be part of the next Voyager book!

17. JanewayRulz!

Guy, Guy, Guy...

...NEVER understimate a Klingon halfbreed with PMS! :rofl:

OTHER things I liked about ET... :bolian:

The author knew something about Voyager! :rommie:

And I'm not just mentioning the throw away sidebar story about Riley's planet. :borg:

Or about how enamored Q junior was re: his "Aunt Kathy". :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8tU3TL9sShs#t=561s

I love how she brought that plot line about Seven dying in Voyager's alternate (Endgame) timeline back and fleshed it out. Explaining WHY it had to be Seven on the mission and the mission's importance (i.e. why Janeway "let" her risk her life) to the universe, even if we didn't exactly find out "what" happened the first time around.

I also liked the juxtaposition of who made the ultimate sacrifice in both timelines. Made me think of "Before & After" vs "Year of Hell".

In B&A it was Janeway and Torres that died and Chakotay and Paris that lived with the loss. In YOH it was Chakotay & Paris that were "lost" and Janeway & Torres who lived with the loss.

In "Endgame" it was Seven who died in the futuristic timeline's mission to save the universe...

...and in "Eternal Tide" it was Janeway's other great love, Chakotay, who died on the mission. :weep:

I do wonder if Q Junior and Captain Eden are still "alive/self aware" in that "other" continuum, or if it "ate" their energies as it consumed the two.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In most of Q's appearances he seems free to do whatever he wants with little or no fear of retribution by the continuum. I can't remember the last time we saw them reverse something he did.

19. Galekarens

Well in Eternal Tide was said it was forbidden for a Q to send KJ back to human life, so there seemed to be a group "rule" for at least that sort of activity; maybe there is another "no" or two in the Q ethical "playbook."

20. Violet.Phoenix

While that is true, I doubt that Q would resort to that course of action. We have previously seen on countless occasions that Q enjoys taunting humanity. If he plans to punish Janeway, it will not be quick.

Also, Lady Q said that she would try to talk some sense into him (though Janeway doubted that would work). However, one should never doubt the tenacity of a Q.

I don't expect there to be an immediate vendetta (or something of that nature) made by Q, but I do expect it to come back around eventually.