My summer of Star Trek reading

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

This summer, it'd been a while since I read much Trek, so I decided to catch up as much as I could and read a bunch of stuff from all over the different series, including some re-reads of my favorites.

This is everything I got through:

TOS:
    The Captain's Daughter (re-read)
    The Entropy Effect
    Strangers From The Sky
    Vulcan's Glory
    Federation
    Burning Dreams
    Constellations

VGD:
    Harbinger
    Summon The Thunder
    Reap The Whirlwind

Lost Era (I put everything between TOS and TNG here, basically):
    Forged In Fire
    The Sundered (re-read)
    The Buried Age

TNG:
    Vendetta (re-read)
    A Time To Be Born (re-read)
    A Time To Die (re-read)
    Death In Winter
    Resistance
    Q & A
    Before Dishonor
    Greater Than The Sum

DS9:
    The Left Hand Of Destiny (both parts)
    Fearful Symmetry

VOY:
    The Escape (re-read)
    Homecoming
    The Farther Shore

NF:
    The first four, omnibus (re-read)

Titan:
    Taking Wing (re-read)
    The Red King (re-read)
    Orion's Hounds
    Sword Of Damocles

Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism

Invasion: all 4 (re-read)

If you count the three novels in Infinity's Prism and the four in the NF omnibus as separate novels, that's an even 40 novels. Which is awesome.

This may seem somewhat narcissistic (why should you care all the books I read?), but I wanted to put it all up there in a list just to show something: we have an INCREDIBLE variety of stories and books to read at this point. Almost all of those books are very different from almost all of the others. The Star Trek universe is just an amazingly diverse and fascinating place these days, and even while we're all complaining about Borg overuse and such, I think it's worth stepping back and realizing how much variety there really is.

Anyway, I have a pretty demanding job (teaching High School), so I probably won't get back to reading much until December, but in the mean time I wanted to thank all the authors past and present for writing such an entertaining body of work. Reading all these this summer has been a blast.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa! Nice job!

I'm a high school teacher too, and summer time is a fantastic time to get reading done. I didn't get as many books read as you did (much of my time was spent renovating areas of my home), but I try to knock out as many as I can during those glorious three months.

3. tmclough

tmclough Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Congratulations! I sure wish I could read that fast! I believe I'm on my 6th novel this summer right now. However, the first one I started at the end of March, so I have a long way to catch up with you. (Just admit it Tim, you'll never make it so don't even try.)

Again, congratulations.

4. trentman359

trentman359 Commander Red Shirt

Yup, thats a lot of reading. I remember when I used to have summers like that. I've been wanting to start my own thread like this, kinda like a journal about the Trek fiction that I'm currently reading. Also it might be a way to get a discussing going about some older or different books.

5. Thrawn

That might be fun, yeah.

It's been weird; all summer, I kept coming across stuff I loved, but it seemed unnecessary to make a new thread every time. "AS OTHERS SEE US IS SO AWESOME!" I'd have ended up making like 4 threads a week; didn't seem worthwhile.

A couple voracious readers starting threads of what they were reading at the time so other people could react to a whole bunch of novels in one place might be a different perspective. It'd be irritating if like 30 people did it, but I wouldn't mind following a couple threads like that. Give me a new source of recommendations, too :)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I think I've only read like 7 or 8 books in the time it took you to read all of those.

7. BryanSorensen

BryanSorensen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ya that was an impressive list...i thought i read a lot too

Heres my list:

Enteprise:
    Kobayashi Maru
    The Good That Men Do(reread it)

TNG
    Immortal Coil
    Engines of Destiny
    The Buried Age
    Resistance
    Before Dishonor
    Greater Than The Sum

DS9:
    Warpath(reread)
    Fearful Symmetry

Other:
    Myriad Universes: Echoes and Refractions
    Myriad Universes: Infinity’s Prism
    Mirror Universe: Glass Empires(reread)
    Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances(reread)
    And from Star Wars
    New Jedi Order

Vector Prime
    Dark Tide 1 Onslaught
    Dark Tide 1 Ruin
    Agents of Chaos 1 Hero’s Trial
    Agents of Chaos 2 Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Edge of Victory 1 Conquest
    Edge of Victory 2 Rebirth
    Star by Star
    Dark Journey

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow...those are impressive lists, I thought that I had a lot of time on my hands recovering from surgery. Compared to those two lists mine is relatively small.

ST: DS9

-Star Trek Terok Nor Book One
    -Star Trek Terok Nor Book Two
    -Star Trek Terok Nor Book Three
    -Star Trek DS9 Fearful Symmertry

TNG:
    -Greater Than The Sum

ENT:
    -Star Trek Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru

9. Thrawn

I know this is OT, but Bryan, how are you liking NJO? I personally thought it was annoying when I read it as it was published, but pretty fantastic when read quickly all in a row. What are your thoughts?

10. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This summer (up until now) I've read the following Star Trek novels:

ENT-R:
    Kobayashi Maru

TNG:
    A Time to Be Born
    A Time to Die
    A Time to Kill
    A Time to Heal
    A Time for War, A Time for Peace
    Articles of the Federation
    Death in Winter
    Resistance
    Q & A
    Before Dishonor
    Greater Than the Sum

Titan:
    Taking Wing
    The Red King
    Orion's Hounds
    Sword of Damocles

Vanguard:
    Summon the Thunder
    Reap the Whirlwind

DS9-R:
    These Haunted Seas

VOY-R:
    Homecoming
    The Farther Shore
    Spirit Walk, Book 1
    Spirit Walk, Book 2

Anthologies:
    Tales of the Dominion War
    Mirror Universe #2: Obsidian Alliances
    Myriad Universes #1: Infinity's Prism
    Myriad Universes #2: Echoes and Refractions

I *think* that's it.

11. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's an impressive rate. My diary says I'm up to 54 ST books for the year, not the summer, and I'm counting things like the mangas and the IDW omnibus'. Don't really feel like going back and removing those to get the real count.

I'm not going to go back and list them here but I've been blasting through a lot of the older TOS numbered books. After I get to half way through the TOS numbered books, I've got about 5 to go, I'm switching to the TNG numbered. I bought about 25 of those for 50 cents each at good will a few weeks go.

My favorites for the year have been Forged in Fire, Day of Vipers and Prime Directive.

In that year I took a couple of WoW characters to 70 and I read Neal Stephensons System of the World which took me awhile so it could have been a lot higher if I had wanted to. :)

The ST reading is going to be hitting a brick wall soon though. Getting married in about 3 weeks and instead of blasting through a zillion books while I'm on vacation I'm going to focus on Stephenson's new book Anathem which I'm assuming will take most of the trip.

Looks like I won't be getting to Destiny until November. Sorry David, I love ya man but I got other priorities. ;)

12. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

Wow, I'm lucky to get through a book a month lets see:

Art of the Impossible
    Taking Wing
    Resistance
    The Red King
    Q & A

And currently on Orion's Hounds...

13. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Several of you have very impressive lists! I can't say as I have read that many Star Trek books during the Summer but I have kept current and waiting for the new Destiny book to hit my local stores. I read and collect Star Trek books but I read a lot of other things besides Star Trek. My admin involvement with my classic movie site (The Golden Age of Hollywood) necessitates me reading a lot of books related to classic films. Mostly biographies etc. but I always have to work in my Trek!

Kevin