August 2012 Challenge - Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by GatorDASH, Aug 7, 2012.

1. GatorDASH

GatorDASH Ensign Newbie

Competition

The past couple weeks I have been really enjoyed watching the worlds finest athletes compete at the Olympics. I was also glad that Rush Limborg joined me in submitting a story in the July challenge to make it an actual competition (and a very close one). With that in mind, the theme of the August challenge is “Competition”. Competition can draw out the best in us in a quest for achievement or bring out the worst in us from a desperation to win. It can be friendly, or it can be brutal.

Write a Star Trek story about competition. You may define competition as one on one, team on team, nation on nation, or any way you like. You can write about anything from a Parrises Squares tournament to a race between the Romulans and Federation to control a new technology, as long as competition is central to the story. The specifics are the same as last month.

10,000 word count

May be any series, time period, etc.

Original characters, series, and the like are fine.

Deadline is August 31st.

I wish you all luck on this month's competition!

2. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi there,

I'm new here, and don't know anything yet. If I were to write something for your challenge -- big IF, as I'm just coming off an 80k+ word monster (you can find it at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7994763/1/After_the_Ashes), have 2 short pieces in the works and another long one brewing in my subconscious -- where and how would I submit it?

Also, where do I find posted fanfic on this site? I don't have the time to comb through 10,000 threads ...

Thanks!

AF

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Post a story thread in this forum and add a link for it to this thread.

Dude, this is the Fan Fiction Forum and a bunch of threads below this one have story titles in their subject lines.

Work it out.

4. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the help (Dude?). I was -- perhaps naively -- hoping for something a bit more organized, like headings for different categories of fics (Voyager, Next Gen ...) As I said, I'm new hear, and a tad daunted by the gazillions of different threads.

Guess the absence of organization explains why I could't find such a thing, and I *will* have to trawl through hundreds of individual threads to figure out if a story might be of sufficient interest for me to read. When I have more time.

AF

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Usually, the first post of any thread at the very least should give you a good idea what it's about. Some have more pregnant titles and there's also the possibility to use tags although that hasn't really taken off. You can also use the board's search function if you're looking for something more specific. Just use the advanced search and limit the search to this forum. I hope that helps a little to disperse the confusion. :)

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

An interesting idea has started to form around this topic that I might try and knock out before the end of the month, if I can get settled on a few details.

7. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And people say I'm unfriendly to newbies...

Dude.

8. Talon Lardner

Talon Lardner Ensign Newbie

Very cool contest, looks like I joined a great place to help me get writing more often!

9. Count Zero

Well, I hope we'll see you around. :)

10. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a question for Gator:

I'm working on a tale involving a certain triangle--a love triangle, if you will. It's ending under 10,000 words. Could that concept count as "competition"?

11. Rush Limborg

Absolutely! The prompts from these contests have made me write quite a few tales of my own. :)

12. GatorDASH

GatorDASH Ensign Newbie

Yes! A competition of the heart is a great use of the prompt.

13. Rush Limborg

Okay! I just need to "touch up" the beginning, as it were.... Shouldn't be too long. Thanks, mate! :)

14. Rush Limborg

15. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Only one entry?

16. Count Zero

It's not the end of the month, yet. ;)

17. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

True that.

18. Rush Limborg

I'll state ahead of time--I'm okay with extending the deadline, if I'm the only entrant, by then. :)

19. Count Zero

I'm working on something and it probably won't be finished on time but out of curiosity, in the OP it only says the deadline is on August 31st, what time did you have in mind, GatorDASH?

20. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

I'm about a quarter of the way done with my entry. Hoping to have it ready in time.