Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

An interesting revelation in a James Gunn podcast...

I think the Badoon first appeared in a Silver Surfer comic.

Interestingly enough, the Badoon HAVE been used in a comic set in the MCU.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ You're right, they did first appear in the first Silver Surfer comic, although they were better known as the enemies of the original Guardians.

I hope you're right, but I don't see any heart-- I just see an 80s beer movie.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Only because that's what you want to see. There's nothing about that trailer that screams "80s beer movie," and it's not even coming across as a comedy so much as one with some humor in it (and yes, there's a huge difference). All the quick scenes between the "Hooked on a Feeling" bits show the movie is about a *lot* more there than the humorous introduction of the characters.

It's like trying to say that Farscape (which is what the trailer actually screams) or Firefly were comedies or "80s beer <shows>."

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To me, both the trailer and all descriptions of the characters so far show the movie is about camaraderie and friendship. These are people who are lost or broken, but find strength together. I think that shows the movie will hopefully have a good heart. Of course, we can't know for sure just yet.

5. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    My feeling is that this movie will be about at the comedy level of Lethal Weapon. You could cut a trailer from that film that makes it look like nothing but goofball antics, but that wouldn't be an accurate description of the movie.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I think we will have some light moments but an overall decent action/super-hero movie. It is really quite a brilliant move on the part of the marketing department. Trying to portray Rocket and Groot more seriously in a two minute trailer would only generate laughs and gibes from people not familiar with the source material. This trailer is great in the sense that it uses humor to draw potential viewers in and then shows the action sequences.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

See, like everyone says, the actual movie won't be like the trailer. What a great trailer! Just use slow motion to see the quick flashes at the end. ;)

Plus it's got a raccoon with a machine gun. A raccoon with a machine gun! Seriously, have you heard there's a raccoon with a machine gun?

I kid a bit there, I am looking forward to it but I do hope the humor in the movie isn't all "Look how out of place this is!". And trailers can be way off base and if this is actually more of an extended teaser it's hopefully OK. It looks like there's a lot of "out there" stuff in this movie so there's probably some worry about keeping it on the right side of "over the top" to not scare people away.

8. RJDiogenes

I'm thinking of Star-Lord's appearance and behavior, the Walkman, the slovenly, snarky cops and the run-down police station, stuff like that.

Well, I hope you're right. They certainly are broken, but not in a way I sympathize with, at least not from the trailer.

Yeah, that's the thing. A talking alien raccoon is a cute idea, but what's the appeal that they're going for? He's "badass" with a Tommy gun. Tommy guns in space. Walkmans in space. Leather trenchcoats in space. Fat asshole cops in space.

The problem is that it doesn't look "over the top" to me. It looks like a generic, dark, juvenile action movie. It looks like a parody of a movie trailer. The only thing missing is somebody walking toward the camera in slow motion while something blows up in the background. That's what I find disappointing.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As others have pointed out, this looks like Farscape: The Movie. Considering how serious all the superhero movies I've seen in the past 3-4 years have been, a tongue-in-cheek movie that actually has a little fun would be a welcome change of pace..as long as it doesn't turn out like Green Hornet.

(And, if it does well, maybe we'll actually get Farscape: The Movie).

Still, this is obviously just a teaser designed to ease some pretty bizarre characters the audience's way. As always, I'll hold out for the reviews.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many of you guys have seen Slither? That's the only James Gunn movie I've seen so far, and I thought he did a great job of mixing the humor and horror elements in that one, and I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the same here only with sci-fi action elements.

11. RJDiogenes

Well, that's it exactly. It's not about humor-- it's about the level and quality of the humor.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are people seriously judging the ENTIRE MOVIE based on a TWO MINUTE TRAILER?

My God.....

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Whatever the film ends up being, it's clear that the people that made the trailer want their audience to get the feeling that this is a comedic action sci-fi adventure. Like Iron Man meets The Dirty Dozen...in space! That alone has me interested. After all the overwrought nonsense that was DKR & MoS I'm more than willing to embrace the idea of *fun* comic book films again.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Welcome to....

The Internet.

Movie fans.

Comic book fans.

The human race.

The concept of trailers being to sell people on the idea of going to see a movie.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Seriously underwhelming trailer. Its a tongue-in-cheek comedy?

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Not judging the movie, but I wasn't really impressed or overwhelmed by the trailer myself. Just not keen on the very American style humour represented.
    Winding your hand up to show your middle finger?... no words.

And "a-holes"? Do people seriously actually say "a-holes"?

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

And DANG when they mean DAMN
    Witch when they mean Bitch
    Fudge when they mean Fuck
    Shoot when they mean Shit

It's less common but yeah, someone, somewhere says a-holes.

18. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Seen it (many times), love it, and I own the DVD. Nathan Fillion was what drew me to it, but I stayed for the great horror/comedy mix. It was a shame that it didn't perform better in theaters. It would have been right at home in the 1980's, alongside the likes of "Night of the Creeps" and "Night of the Comet."

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Peter Serafinowicz must, or at least thought his character would, since he ad libbed the line.
    I hear it a lot on TV shows/movies where people can't or won't swear. It's really not that uncommon.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's in keeping with family-friendly/approved-for-all-audiences prudishness.

Just saw this trailer. (Did anybody actually link to it? I went back a few pages and didn't see it, but Google is my friend.)

People, the movie isn't even out until August. The trailer isn't supposed to make you want to see it right now; that would be counterproductive.

So, the trailer answers the question of who the heck are these guys. They're introduced, and then standing there five in a row, so now we know. They're the Underdogs, the Third Stringers, the Mystery Men, the Loser Squad.

We're promised Ack-shun, Additood, and squeeable moments. Or should I say squeal-able moments, because we're certainly promised that too. This is targeting people who like talking animals. My girlfriend liked The Avengers, because she likes the Hulk, but in principle she's also likely to go for a talking raccoon because it could easily bring out her inner Bolt. And that's especially if the execution is state-of-the-art, which it had better be.

The other thing this trailer did was keep it all pretty close to the vest. The trailer seems to telegraph (in the glimpses and hints that were fed) that the key moments aren't given away, which is a good thing if it actually delivers. If the movie were coming out next week (which it's not), the trailer would be saying that this is a movie that you're going to have to see to actually understand, which (again, if it delivers) is potentially a good thing. They seem to be positioning themselves for word of mouth and increased buzz about it in the webosphere to spread about just how Awe-sum it is. The trailer is basically saying, "Stay tuned."