Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by spinnerlys, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the chance, I'd pocket one coin. I may never be able to sell it, but it would be cool to have one nevertheless.

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I'm suprised Castle didn't, and wouldn't be suprised if one showed up on his collectables shelves in his office at some point.;)

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Guy, for all intents and purposes, lives with (and is soon to marry) a very perceptive cop.

And she's armed.

And she can withhold sex anytime she wishes.

You think Castle would risk that? :lol:

I've just recently rewatched some season 1 episodes (i always get a broad smile when they meet for the first time and i think "You're gonna fall in love!!" ;)) and it's very noticeable how much fun the early seasons were.

I'm not saying that Castle has become dull and unfunny but there is a noticeable difference. He was always the one for whacky theories (big part of his charm) but we all know he's doing it to annoy Beckett and have some fun.. lately you could get the impression he actually believes all this. He comes off as a very superstitious guy who's easily spooked (and he's not doing it for show purposes) and that's not the Castle i remember.

Well.. show is still good but i miss the old days sometimes.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I have just started watching the show within the last year and I must say, what early season episodes are you people watching? :lol:

Yes some of it is to just annoy the hell out of Beckette, but a lot of it is also what he believes in. :)

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Keep watching.. in a later season he confirms this but nevertheless he is a guy who enjoys mystery a lot and made a career of it so naturally he'll jump at any chance and go overboard with his imagination.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

No, but I'ld expect Castle to at least make an attempt by turning his masculine wiles on Beckette. :lol:

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Just caught this, pretty damn good for a non-SF show (though they do have a lot of SF references, not the least Mal himself). I especially liked the way the time traveller vanished and the spill on the letter. Very cool. And yes, if they never do another episode like that again, it'll make it cooler.

8. bigdaddy

I have seen most of the episodes within the last year, not just the last year of episodes.

But people here seem to feel that he has changed and the show is different than it used to. That in the beginning he was only doing the mystery thing to annoy Beckett but now that they are together he really believes in them.

My point is he always had believed in them because he is a mystery writer, he likes believing in the less likely cause for something because it makes for the best story, and I see no change in Castle's beliefs because he is a a relationship with Beckett now.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't follow your logic. Why would being a mystery writer make someone gullible enough to believe in whatever supernatural claptrap is being peddled at any given time? If anything, mystery writers should be more skeptical than most, because they're good at recognizing deceit and misdirection. To a mystery writer, a good story is about a keen observer using wits and skepticism to penetrate an illusion. Unfettered credulity is the exact opposite of a mystery protagonist's preferred mindset.

After all, mysteries are predicated on being soluble by reason and observation. The culprit is always some person whose motives and methods can be explained and who can be brought to justice. If the death really does turn out to be an act of God or alien or whatever, then that's a totally unsatisfying mystery, like a joke without a punch line. There's no clever solution, no dramatic reveal; it's just exactly what it seemed to be on the surface, and then it doesn't even constitute a mystery story, just a supernatural story.

So if Castle were a fantasy writer or a folklorist, then maybe it would make sense that he'd be credulous toward the supernatural because it made a good story. But he's supposed to be a mystery writer, so that just doesn't work.

Now, granted, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was an avid believer in spiritualism late in his life, in stark contrast to Sherlock Holmes's rationalism. But this is widely considered a paradox, an exception to the norm. Whatever drove him to believe in spiritualism, it had nothing to do with his mystery writing and actually worked against it, for he largely abandoned writing Sherlock Holmes once he embraced spiritualism fully. So granted, it's possible that Castle, like Doyle, is an exception to the rule, that he's credulous despite being a mystery author. But it wouldn't be because he's a mystery author.

10. intrinsical

Yay! Finally, Alexis gets her own story. And I was tearing up by the end of the episode.

11. bigdaddy

I was kind of hoping they wouldn't find the killer in time.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's some sloppy police work to put someone on death row. It's hard to believe that the police didn't talk to the guy that the victim dumped the week before, or investigate bike tire tracks in the back yard. Also, you'd think that the timing of the call to the alarm company and the initial time of death would be be brought into question.
    Nice character development for Alexis, and thankfully no Pi.

13. Christopher

Unfortunately that sort of thing does happen. Although I wish they'd had the courage to cast the innocent convict as a black man or other minority, a victim of racial profiling and prejudice like so many wrongly convicted death-row inmates are.

Aside from that, though, I liked this one a lot better than most episodes lately. It was neat to see them mix up the formula and have Castle and Alexis be the crimefighting duo instead of Castle and Beckett. I'd like to see it happen more often (or, heck, do a Beckett-Alexis team-up next time). I also liked it that the episode was more serious. I could handle the occasional "weird case inspiring Castle's crazy theories" episode when they were interspersed among more normal cases, but lately they seem to have become the norm themselves, and that's overkill.

I figured out that the inmate was protecting his brother almost as soon as he changed his tune and started acting fatalistic. Although I guess that's not as big a flaw as it could've been, seeing as how the brother didn't really do it.

14. intrinsical

The story's central focus is Castle and Alexis. Don't you think casting a black man in the role would have shifted the viewer's attention in the wrong direction?

15. Christopher

No reason a story can't be about more than one thing at a time.

16. Buck Bokai

Buck Bokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

I liked it, even if the killer was telegraphed. As soon as the police officer starts harassing Alexis and Castle in the restaurant, it seemed pretty clear that he was involved. Thought it was more police corruption than young kid gone wrong, though.

17. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Lazy police work doesn't necessarily mean police corruption; the police chief, who was the real killer's dad, seemed genuinely shocked at his son's involvement and guilt.

18. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's possible that the killer could've used his family knowledge of the police to steer them the wrong way or make them overlook stuff.

It was a fun one, and I agree it's nice to NOT have some crazy theory coming out of Castle this week. He's always been dead serious when it comes to his daughter's safety, almost to the point of murder; and when the chips are down, he'll tame himself to help her out. I do find it a bit odd that Alexis was suddenly implicated in some murder case and Castle DIDN'T make a big deal of it, even before they stopped talking. What is she taking at Columbia, anyway? I've looked a bit and can't find info on her major, though that was a major point of her college choices in earlier seasons.

Mark

19. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When she was working with Laney I thought she was considering medicine. But after the protest bombing that disappeared, so she may have given that up.

This whole thing with trying to prove a convicted killer innocent sounds like it may be pre-law, if its a school thing. It could be a volunteer group she got attached to through someone in school.

I still think Alexis will eventually be in the law enforcement business. She is a natural, much like Beckett.

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I don't see her as a cop though. I think she's more likely to be a lawyer type. She's a do-gooder but I don't think she can shoot people for a living. Plus, it would shave too closely to Nash Bridges for my liking if she became a cop.

The series will probably hang it up before she finishes college, though. So we will likely not see it.