‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

E3 doesn't struggle and yes while there more of an interactive purpose there, Comic Con would not suffer because the people who go will always go (The Q & A stuff one big reason). The stuff that either takes ages to get to the public from Comic Con or never does really pisses me off in this day n age.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That might be true if Ms Marvel was actually an A list character. Sadly shes never broken the glass ceiling, even with a name change to Captain Marvel.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Wolverine exchange is from Wolverine: Enemy of the State volume one, ISBN # 0-77851-1815-2.

The best example of Sue handling Reed's business concerns that I can think of off the top of my head is in the second volume of Jonathon Hickman's run, the arc where they discovered the lost Atlanteans. (ISBN 978-0785145417)

This arc eventually forced her to mediate a peace between the lost Atlanteans and the leader of the modern Atlanteans-- Namor the Submariner-- Dun-Dun-Duuuun!;)

Also-- her forcefield has held off the Hulk and Mjolner. She has used it, more than once, to protect the entire island of Manhattan. It is an upper-tier power set.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It didn't come from Marvel. IIRC, the sentiment was expressed by feminist comics critic Kelly Thompson. In 2010, she wrote:

She's also spoken positively about the strong slate of female heroes and creators headlining Marvel books lately, and been very critical of DC's continued marginalization and sexualization of most of their female characters. Although I'm afraid I can't find a quote to back up what I recall her saying about Marvel's heroines not having the same "every woman" burden as Wonder Woman -- I can't remember the right search terms -- so I can't guarantee that my recollection is accurate. But it's absolutely not a statement from Marvel itself, I can assure you of that much.

In the Jonathan Hickman run, she's also a world-class diplomat, the person that the various non-human nations on Earth (like Atlantis, the Inhumans, etc.) turn to when they need someone to negotiate peace in the most delicate and dangerous situations. Oh, and I think she's Atlantean royalty somehow.

Not to mention that she's the mother of the most powerful mutant child on Earth and a 3-year-old girl who's even more of a supergenius than Reed Richards. Even aside from what that says about her own genes, she'd have to be an extraordinary human being to handle children like that.

The thing is, I can understand why people who don't currently read the comics would have a low opinion of Sue. She was originally a pretty weak character in the '60s comics, and many of the cartoon and film adaptations have been closer to that version. (Though she was the most impressive element of the generally disappointing FF: World's Greatest Heroes cartoon from 2006.) But in the past few decades she's grown into a character who is every bit the Marvel counterpart of Wonder Woman in her power, poise, diplomacy, empathy, and ferocity in defense of those she protects. Yes, she's part of a team, but more than that: She's the head of a family, the anchor that holds it together. And that is a source of power in its own right. I understand the desire for solo heroines who can headline their own movies, as a counterpart to all the solo male heroes out there; but solitude is not automatically strength.

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Just give us a Bird's or Prey movie. That'll satisfy the masses.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA[/yt]

6. Nerys Myk

I think Thompson might be doing some rationalization as well. Though she's right about the sexualization. Still, DC easily beats Marvel in the number of woman headlining books and employs equal to or more woman as Marvel. Though that might change with the move West.

Yes, the WW character carries a heavy burden, but that's for all female superheroes, not just DC's. The reason being, she's the most recognizable one. No one at Marvel has ever stepped up to plate to share the load. Even in the films Storm and Black Widow are secondary to the male heroes.

7. Christopher

Change takes time, and Marvel seems to be going in the right direction, from what I'm hearing.

And Black Widow in The Winter Soldier felt to me like a coequal lead to Captain America, regardless of the title. She didn't seem secondary to me. Although I can't say I'm impressed by how the X-Men films have handled Storm, starting by completely miscasting her.

The thing is, if you want the films to be at the vanguard of gender equality, you're looking in the wrong place. Movie studios are conservative and pandering to an increasingly narrow audience. There's more progressiveness, more willingness to take risks, in comics and television. Marvel and DC both have a bunch of female-led titles (though I haven't heard good thing about how DC's handled most of theirs); television is bringing us Agent Carter and Jessica Jones from Marvel and iZombie from DC/Vertigo; and movies have... nothing definite in the works, aside from murmurs about a solo Wonder Woman movie at some point.

I suspect that Marvel is using the female-led TV shows as trial balloons -- if they do well, maybe it'll be proof of concept for going ahead with a female-led movie or two.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christopher, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this assertion. Based on the successes over the past decade or so, it seems to me that the audiences of superhero action pictures are growing.

9. Nerys Myk

They don't treat their female characters any worse or better than the male ones. Though Wonder Woman is probably one or the best written comics out there, male or female, right now.

10. Christopher

I didn't say "small," I said "narrow," as in demographic diversity. The studios preferentially target their action movies toward male audiences of a certain age range and a certain set of tastes. Moviegoing itself is done by a narrower segment of the population than it used to be, partly because of the cost of it, partly because of the increasing availability of alternative forms of entertainment. So it's harder to convince feature film studios to put a woman or a black or Asian actor in the lead role of a movie than it is -- these days -- to convince a TV network to do the same. We have an increasing number of black female leads in TV shows over the past few years, but still a dearth in features. As I said, we have three female-led comics-based TV shows coming in the next season but nothing in movies for years to come. It's quite clear that TV is engaging with a broader audience -- again, broader, not larger -- than movies are. All we can do is hope the increasing gender and ethnic diversity in TV has staying power and influences movie studios to follow suit.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is that a picture of Batman wearing the Superman-fighting suit from the end of DKR????????

*nerdgasm*

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given that international sales are important too, it's still hard for me to connect the dots here.

13. M.A.C.O.

Spoilers

Honestly Bats, I think you need to walk away from this one.
    [​IMG]

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

That bat shape is pretty lame on the bat signal and not a fan of the glowing eye look for bats at all. Do like the bulk of the suit bats is wearing.
    As far as WW, I think she looks pretty good with the exception of the sword which appears kind of tiny. Of course after watching Game of Thrones I may be spoiled by swords especially the one the Mountain used.

15. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They say Superman's costume has been changed a little, but I can't tell from the one photo released so far.

16. Christopher

It's foreshortened because it's pointing toward the camera.

17. M.A.C.O.

Well Greeks used short swords. Wonder Woman coming from a classical Greek mythology; it makes sense for her to have Greek armor and weaponry.

Compare these photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With photos from movies like Troy or series like Spartacus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

They gave him a square belt buckle and made the S a bit smaller, but yeah most of the changes are pretty minor.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No they wouldn't. People go to conventions for the experience and to spend time with actual people. A YouTube stream isn't a replacement for that. Livestreaming is for the people who can't go.