They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Variety has another article on WB's overall development of DC properties. Some of the highlights:

The article also confirms that Flashpoint will be one of next year's animated DTV movies (something that's been rumored for a while).

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ We talked about the "Flashpoint" DTV I believe in the New 52 thread last month. Kevin Conroy already confirmed he worked on it. I seriously doubt Nolan has or would want as much control of future DC film projects when he's still deciding what to focus on after "The Dark Knight Rises". We already know he will remain Executive Producer on the next "Batman" reboot and has been "godfathering" "Man of Steel" (he's rewritten the script a couple times too).

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Nolan could well take the kind of position he has on Man of Steel on any number of DC properties.

4. Admiral_Young

My point is though why would he? He's still making films of his own right now. First of all he'd have to have some kind of interest in the films and projects that article lists. I'm not saying he wouldn't take some kind of Kevin Feige type position within DC Ent...but I am saying that I don't think that he will. I dunno. I'm just very skeptical of what is being "reported" about DC Ent's film properties and their future right now.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He can continue to direct his own films and increase the number of films he produces directed by others. One doesn't preclude the other. It's actually pretty typical of major directors, once they've achieved a high level of cachet, to branch out as producers. Far from being skeptical that Nolan will follow that path, I think it's only natural that he will do so. I don't expect him to take on a role akin to Kevin Feige's. That would be too time-consuming. But I can see him increasingly taking on the kind of producer role that Steven Spielberg often wears in addition to the films he directs.

6. Admiral_Young

Again though I think he'd have to show some interest in the properties mentioned in order to accept a position like the one the article is suggesting. I don't profess to know the man, but having come to know his work...I just don't see that happening to be honest. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise me, he does tend to do that :)

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

More from Cosmic Book News (for whatever it turns out to be worth):

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll pay him a lot for very little work.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They'd better hope MoS doesn't bomb, then. Given Snyder's track record is hit and miss nothing is a sure thing about this movie.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

That's true of the movie business in general.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, and no more or less true of Snyder's films than of most others - well, except that if the studios weren't happy with his track record he wouldn't be working at this level

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

300 was a hit
    Watchmen was a mild success
    Sucker Punch was a dissapointment
    Man of Steel will be....

Hopefully the pendelum swings back more toward 300?!

13. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

And if MoS doesn't bomb, they'd better hope Cavill signs the new contract. It's possible that he's not interested in doing more than what he agreed to do in his current contract.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Again, mostly plausible claims, but maybe a bit too obvious, so I'm still not convinced these rumors are real.

And since when did The Avengers not look like an epic blockbuster film? Not to mention that, although I haven't seen any Man of Steel clips yet, I'd be very surprised if the look of Snyder's film was the same as that of Nolan's films.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt it would ever be THAT dark and serious. More likely, it'll just be a bit more grounded in the real world like the new Spidey-Man appears to be.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Regarding Snyder's box office track record, he's mostly directed movies with a higher than normal degree of risk (although almost all movies, even ones that look like no-brainers, carry significant risk).

His first movie, Dawn of the Dead, had by far the lowest risk factor. It had a low budget and there's a solid, consistent market for horror films, especially brand name horror films. And Dawn of the Dead was indeed a big success relative to its budget.

His movies after that were a lot riskier: an R-rated green screen historical action movie, a very dark, very violent and very long R-rated superhero epic with no big stars, a CGI animated movie for a studio that, despite its long and storied success in animated television series and film shorts, has struggled to sell animated feature films, and an esoteric action movie with a cast centred on young, mostly lesser-known, actresses.

Directing a Superman movie is a much safer bet for Snyder than any of his other post-Dawn of the Dead movies. After all, if a Superman movie designed as an introspective drama that split moviegoers and had many complaining about a lack of action could nonetheless make just shy of $400 million worldwide then it stands to reason that a Superman film with Zack Snyder's penchant for massive action scenes has a good chance to make a whole lot more.

17. Captain Craig

How exactly were the Raimi films not grounded in the real world?

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Because they took place in a super bright and happy and colorful version of NY, with lots of corny dialogue straight out of the 1960s comic books. With walking cartoon characters like J Jonah Jameson. And villains who rode around on gliders in cheesy green armor, or had long tentacles on their back.

I love the heck out of the first two movies, but they weren't exactly the grittiest or most realistic movies ever.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Not being gritty I'll grant you, but how is the whole concept of a guy who clings to walls realistic in the slightest? It's a fantasy, just like the new one.

20. Captain Craig

This doesn't compute for me. People seem to be having selective memory about the 'net for the Raimi films.
    Uncle Ben was carjacked and killed.
    Mary Jane was going to be mugged...at the least, in the rain at night.
    Doc Ock wrecks the O.R. and kills the attendants working on him. He then makes a secret lab in a run down warehouse pier shown to us at night, the grity night.
    Flint Marko is a robber on the run from the law
    Not to mention broad daylight robberies in the first film montage.
    How much more real can you get? I swear in 6 months the revolutionary rewriters about the 'net will be pushing the Raimi movies as flat out Camp Spoofs. :guffaw: