Uwe Boll to make Trek XII

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Trekker4747, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Say you saw this news. How would you react that this monumental hack is making a Trek movie?

(Why did I put this threadin this forum, mostly because Boll's movies fall under this catagory and this thread is more about him than Trek XII.)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know who the hell Uwe Boll is, nor why I should care what he directs. What's the big deal about this guy anyway? :confused:

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Point taken, but Trek XII still seems to be just as vital part of the subject. Hence, off to Future of Trek.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It would still be no worse than ST:V... :p
    [​IMG]

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He doesn't know how to direct or cast or tell a story and thinks he's one of the elite filmmakers around (and beating up his internet critics in the boxing ring proves his directing talents). But other than that he's great.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Boll is a twat.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I have a new respect for Michael Bay. First he puts Megan Fox in her place, and now this. :techman:

8. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, Michael Bay isn't calling for the release of Roman Polanski. As far as I know, anyway. :shifty:

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

With a 150 million budget, he can't do any worse than Abrams.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wikipedia will tell you all you need to know, true or not.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good thing you like to make comments that make every other comment seem that much stronger and valid. :lol:

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Remember how Paul Sams of Blizzard blew off Uwe Boll when he offered to direct a WoW movie? "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you...especially not to you!"

I would expect Paramount to give him an even harsher answer.

Speaking of which, why the hell do production companies hire this guy at all? Isn't his name by itself a definitive guarantee for a movie's failure?

13. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would say "Yes!!! Say hello to 'Trek of the Dead'!"

14. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Uwe Boll films are horrible, the only reason I know about him is because at "That Guy With The Glasses" website his films are often the subject of ridicule and justifiably so he really is a hack:angryrazz:!

15. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Urgh....any movie based on a video game this guy was involved in was total shit.

16. Nevyn

Nevyn Lieutenant Red Shirt

Don't bet on it.

17. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I understand it, and I may be completely wrong about this, it's all to do with money.

Suppose you were a millionaire living in Germany. You'd have to pay tax. Let's say, for the sake of argument, you had to pay one million Euros. Now you could just pay this. But the German government, in an effort to encourage investment in the German film industry, has an offer. You can put that money into making a film instead, and that counts as your tax for this year.

Now this doesn't really benefit you. Instead of giving the taxman a million, you've given the film makers a million. Either way, you are a million down. If the film does well you will see some return, but that's not guaranteed, and you'd have to pay more tax on any profit you make.

Rather than giving the film makers your own money, you could borrow the amount from a bank and use that. Again, this does not benefit you. Instead of owing the taxman a a million, you now owe the bank a million. But...

Because the film industry is high risk, it is unlikely to gain investors unless certain guarantees are in place. So the German government has agreed, under certain circumstances, to cover any losses should a film fail to recoup it's production costs.

In other words, if a film does badly, really badly, at the box office, the government will give you back your investment.

So.
    You owe the taxman money.
    You borrow money from the bank.
    You invest this money in a film.
    You now owe the bank money, but no longer owe the taxman.
    The film flops.
    The government reimburses investors, giving you the money back.
    You give this back to the bank.
    You now no longer owe anyone anything.
    You've not profited from this, but you have avoided a large tax bill.

And all you need to make it work is someone capable of delivering movies that could never succeed at the box office.

18. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

@The Badger:

....and then you have a reputation for making bad movies, and less people give your other movies a chance no matter good or bad...you loose money anyway.....

It´s illogical. ;-)