Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linnear

Linnear Lieutenant Commander

Starfleet Command from "Origins" by resident genius Pony Horton. Pony will be doing effects shots for "Axanar" as well.

[​IMG]

2. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Might suggest posting these over in the art section. Guaranteed that you will get responses and constructive criticism there.

FWIW, this is some great work here. :techman:

3. Linnear

Thanks, but not looking for constructive criticism really! We have a good group of people working on these and we know what we want. I post them to create excitement and interest.

Alec

4. Today

Today Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They're nice designs, but other than your hero ship they're all pretty much permutations of Tobias's Kelvin. Are there any plans to individualize them a bit? Don't get me wrong, they look great and the Kelvin is a great jumping off point. Tobias Richter doesn't mess around when it comes to modeling, but they're a bit same-ish. I know you're explicitly not looking for feedback on these, but are you considering varying the textures a bit? Even something trivial like different colored hull plating might add some variety.

5. Linnear

Well, they are a fleet. Fleets look the same often. You look at the US Navy and they are all painted the same way.

We WANT them to look similar and look like they all came from the same ship yards. This is early in the Federation, before ships were being built all over the place. They were built by Earth, on Earth shipyards, probably before Utopia Planetia even. So they were likely to look similar. Parts are meant to be interchangeable.

But appreciate your feedback!

Alec

6. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. The Hero ship needs to be distinct; everyone else is very pretty set dressing, not meant to distract attention from said hero. If deliberate, it's a very good choice.

Mark

7. Linnear

Tobias changed the lettering on the saucers to be TOS style and not JJ style.

[​IMG]

JJ LETTERING

[​IMG]

8. Linnear

And updated bridge. A few people requested this, as the JJ-like bridge was not a popular feature. When Sean Tourangeau asked me last night, I sent the request to Tobias who agreed and got it done!

[​IMG]

So your comments are helpful and sometimes listened to! :-)

Alec

9. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks guys, now the ships feel more in the Prime Universe. the Bridges were bugging me. It works for the JJverse but for the Prime these feel so much better. BTW Tobias great work on all the designs.

10. Mark_Nguyen

So the phaser mounts on these beauties seem to be analogous to the Kelvin, with TMP-style twin mounts supported by CIWS-type turrets under the square hatches of the saucer. Has any thought been given to the type of fire we'll be seeing in combat? Some linkage between what the Kelvin showed and the blue beams we'll ultimately see on the TOS Enterprise? Has tobais built these models with the turrets underneath as well? That'd be some fantastic detail on the final product!

Mark

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so is taking ship designs from jj trek and modifying them ok from a legal standpoint for a fan film? just curious to know

12. Mark_Nguyen

Compared to taking pre-existing ship designs and using them, unmodified, in fan films for years now? If anything they're in LESS of a legal bind, no?

Mark

13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

just thought i read something about no jj trek stuff in fan films. i could easily be wrong, hope i am. i like these designs, they're rather awesome!

14. Linnear

We take inspiration from all aspects of Star Trek and try to decidedly NOT look like the JJverse. So we have changed a lot on each ship. Sadly, we will NOT be using the Kelvin, since it is 100% JJverse. Originally it was to play a big part in the Battle of Axanar.

Although two of the ships are similar to the JJverse, they are also similar to a lot of ships from non-canon sources. There are only so many ways to build a TOS ship! The engines and the roll bar on the ships are 100% Tobias as are the Torpedo pods and shuttle bays on the smaller ships. We keep going about changing things to make sure they look Prime Universe.

As far as the Phasers, they will be 100% Prime Universe. So expect phasers to fire exactly like in TOS. The pulse Phasers of the USS Defiant are over 100 years away! And again, we aren't copying JJverse's short burst phasers.

This is firmly Prime Universe.

Alec

15. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

From what I have read, and my sources are not the best, so take this with a pound (or a few pounds) of iodinized salt, ... JJA Trek spin-offs WILL get 'cease and desist' orders. This is what they want to protect. So, like I said... giving this a lot of wiggle room since my sources are not the best... you might NOT want to use JJA Trek as a source.

16. Linnear

I guess the point is we are not. Two of the ships are similar, but still different from JJ verse. I know CBS doesn't want JJ stuff so we made the changes and eliminated the Kelvin.

Alec

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  17. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is where we are safe with the Ares, she wasn't designed with JJtrek in mind. With the other ships I will leave that to Alec and Tobias.

18. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

I still submit that there are THREE standard phaser options based on what we have seen in TOS and TOSfilm. There is STREAM - the long continuous phaser beam we've seen time and again. There is PULSE - the fast short pulsing phasers that we've seen from WOK. There is BURST - the single orb shaped phaser blast seen in a handful of episodes.

19. Linnear

Good points! I guess we will ignore the WOK since that is much later. But what about BIURST as you say? What episodes is that in? I will check it out.

Alec

20. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

pssst....take a look at "Balance of Terror"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.