what's your local weather?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Nov 26, 2013.

1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I know what a toque is. I like mine with a poofball and tassels. I live in northern North Dakota, you send us cold weather, poutine, and curling. Thanks a lot, NAFTA!

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Along with: Four pounds of back bacon, three French toasts, two turtlenecks, and a beer. In a tree.

3. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very foggy and cloudy here today.
    Not very cold really..only -2°C:shifty:

4. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

A lot of wind and rain.

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Not surprising, though - we are only about 300 km apart :)

6. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Today. High plus 5 C.

[​IMG]

Good ole rainy wet Victoria..

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Ice storm. Freezing rain for the last 48 hrs. Much of Kingston downtown without power. 250,000 without power in Toronto - possibly until Christmas. The rain is still coming down. It's nuts out there.

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

-13 feels like -25 right now. Yippee.

9. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hot here in Florida. Yesterday it was close to 90 on my front porch. Luckily it is supposed to get cooler by Christmas Eve.

10. kirsten187

It tried to sleet here earlier for about 5 minutes. Other than that, it's still wind and rain.

11. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Well, due to the ice storm, I've been without power for about 40 hours. Which includes my heat. Kinda sucks.

12. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That sucks. I hope you get your power back soon.

13. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got CP24 on right now, and the number is down to 195,000 in Toronto without power, but there are over 70,000 in the surrounding area that are still without.

Fortunately, my building didn't lose power - which makes up for the two days in the summer when we did due to flooding. But my building is one of the few - looking outside the last few nights, I couldn't see any lights anywhere other than streetlights, and some stoplights in my area were out as well.

Apparently one of our subway lines is still shut down, though the streetcar fleet is back on the roads (they weren't running on Sunday).

And my back is feeling a little better after falling ass over teakettle on Sunday afternoon, trying to get to the nearest working subway station because I needed to go downtown. I took about two steps onto a bridge, started to slide, and fell over in slow motion, twisting my back and smacking my elbow on the ground. I'm not terribly impressed with the lack of salting. (A kind middle-aged couple stopped on the bridge and offered me a lift.)

Several friends have reported having trees fall on their property, and in at least one case, they couldn't get their car out of their driveway. (Fortunately, the fallen tree had missed their car and house.) I don't have any photos myself, but if you do a Google image search on "Toronto ice storm 2013," you'll see some amazing pictures.

14. mari

mari Captain Captain

I have friends in Maine holed up at home because of this storm. They may have lost power (or at least internet) as I haven't seen a Facebook update from them in a while. Reminds me of a few years ago when a similar storm hit New Hampshire. I got lucky and still had power, but no internet. That meant friends with no power stopping by for two weeks to use my shower and warm up.

Here, it's still damp, but supposed to be getting much colder with a risk for black ice. We're not quite at freezing right now, so maybe as the sun comes out it'll dry up a bit before the temp nosedives overnight. I just want a safe trip to Christmas dinner with the in-laws tonight!

15. kirsten187

Still just wind and rain.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just rocking some 9 Below Zero weather today. Ain't no thing.

17. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

mid 60's in the SF Bay Area. No ski trips this year, not much snow in the Sierra's...

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't have a picture at hand, but it's quite picturesque here. We got off easy during the recent ice storm that swept through Ontario over the past couple of days.

Presently it's -12 Celsius and it's been mostly sunny throughout the day. Most everything is quite white and it will look like a greeting card for Christmas. And it's supposed to be like this for the next few days.

19. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I considered calling in well.

20. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Well, our power came back after 43 hours. Just in time for us to pack our packs with the lights on because Wife and I were ate to drive to Philly to visit my folks for Christmas.

And here in SE Pennsylvania it's a bit milder, no snow or ice on the ground.