Drex Files is gone!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Apr 12, 2013.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Major suckage.

Not only do we lose so many cool images we would have never seen without Doug we also lose all those stories and behind the scene moments that give a real appreciation for his and others work on Star Trek.
    The man has an Oscar, he has helped other artists too and got some people onto the Ships of the Line calendar. Whomever thought he was claiming their work are being ridiculous.

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Pffffft! That figures! It's a site all Trek fans love. Some one complains and it's over. Frackin' stupid!

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Drex TV (which had the Ships Of The Line:ACTIVE DUTY! shorts in it) was one of my favorite vlogs/webseries. Doug woud do great with a regular online series dedicated to classic hollywood and the behind the scenes "secrets" of the old school VFX gurus.

4. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really seriously hope he finds a way to come back!!!

5. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, this is no good.
    For those interested though, Doug posts a lot of behind the scenes type things on his facebook page and seems to be generally accepting of friend requests from fans.
    https://www.facebook.com/doug.drexler.7

6. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well this sucks.

I oddly went to my bookmarks and opened The Drex Files for a browse and catch up from where I left off. Shame I didn't save that many images. Should've done really.

Such a great resource for casual fans and hardcore alike. I used it frequently for my art work, great for kitbashing ideas too.

I then came here to see if a thread was up about it.

Shame dude, we'll miss ya, Doug.

Hope he's back eventually.

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I had saved quite a few images of ships and such way back when, but it was hardly comprehensive. Did anybody out there archive his site ever?

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

it's a sucky situation, but i can see where people are coming from if they objected to their work being posted with 'drex files' all over it

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you know how to use web.archive.org you can retrieve most of it.

10. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Unbelievable. I never once got the impression he was taking credit for anything. Did these VFX 'artists' actually read the bloody blog? If they had they would have realized he was promoting who did the work, not taking credit for it.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I suspect that if he had specifically cited the names of the creators of the various models he published online it likely would not have gotten this far. It may be too much trouble for him to go back and ask permission and research names, as busy as he's been lately. Here's hoping, but it's probably over. :(

12. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, this is a huge, shocking blow to the Trek community! At the very least, it is for me.

A huge travesty, like when Star Trek Australia and Trekmania went down, and comparable in magnitude to if starhipschematics.net or ex-astris-scientia.org were to go down (Lord forbid, of course). Same thing would go for Eaves's blog.

The amount of content on that blog was so massive, you could spend a whole day looking through the site, and not have scratched the surface of the content it had.

And if the artist feel that they need to take proper credit for their artwork, then they can take it upon themselves post their respective works, if they don't feel comfortable about letting anyone else do it! Everyone of them, and every single concept sketch and render that was available, as opposed to leaving it in the dark for no-one to view, like before Drexler posted them!!

I hope that at the very least, Drexler will at least make a site to host all of his own work, so that isn't lost. That would be within his rights.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see a lot of rumors flying around here, but has there been any authoritative news on why Drex Files is gone?

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Check the links in the first post. Doug linked to those two articles himself from his Facebook account. Basically, other artists complained to him about putting "Drex Files" over all the the images he posted, even though he was always good about crediting them.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Doug said on his facebook page that a couple of his colleagues e-mailed him and were upset that he had plastered "drexfiles" on the caps and they felt he was trying to take credit for their work. Steve Neil mentions in his Steven Neil Garage videos just this past week.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, thanks.

17. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any updates on the possibility of a comeback?

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Doug posted something earlier today (?) on Facebook about a new site is in the works; didn't look like he posted a ETA though.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Mirror, archive?