Quinto's Spock is too emotional

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ben Maxwell, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Since that incident and others like it were mentioned in TOS (Journey to Babel) and in TAS (Tomorrow is Yesterday), it was canon before we saw it on the big screen in 2009.

Since Kirk in TOS marooned not only Gary Mitchell in "Where No Man Has Gone Before", but Marla Mitchell, also in "Spaceseed" it was established that the Captain of the ship has wide latitude in how he deals with mutineers. Treatment of prisoners was obviously left up to the Captain's discretion.

So basically you admit that you are not as fond of TOS as you are of other Treks. . . is it any wonder that the flaws in a series of movies that hark back to TOS (not the original series movies, but the original series itself) would be more pronounced to you?

Personally, I love Quinto's Spock. Quinto does more emoting with his eyes than most actors do with their whole bodies. Even when he is perfectly still, you can see an inner life to his Spock.

~FS

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That was a joke, not an assumption.

Also: You can drop the worn-out "if I don't agree with the majority" shtick any time. Your opinion is your opinion. So own it, and stop trying to guilt-trip others for holding opinions of their own - that just looks whiny and sort of pathetic.

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

People do occasionally make tongue-in-cheek remarks, I'm told. Though it is... highly illogical.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Nimoy's Spock is better, but then he had a LOT more screentime in which to develop the character.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes it was a tongue in cheek joke poking not just at you R. Star but at the hyperbole that accompanies Trek loves. Of which I happily participate in myself.

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    It would be really nice if the "majority opinion" people would stop trying to guilt-trip those holding the "unpopular opinion" for holding those opinions, too. :vulcan:

Nobody likes feeling ganged up on, no matter which opinion they hold.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you. Though there is a certain amount of irony of a post claiming one should "own opinions" and stop "guilt tripping people" while simultaneously calling one "whiny and pathetic" for expressing an opinion they don't like and implying they shouldn't.. almost like guilt tripping.

8. teacake

If you took me seriously R. Star then.. well I really don't know what to say. I would think you'd have interacted with me enough on other forums to know otherwise.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely do! :)

Though it would seem others are taking a comment I made... full with a :p emoticon, known for it's stern countenance, seriously. ;)

10. teacake

Okay cool!

11. M'Sharak

Uh-uh. This isn't an MA thread, and you should know better.

Balderdash. It was not your opinion which was being thus described, but your four-year habit of moaning in forums all over the board that you've been persecuted for your opinions, which is patent nonsense.

The worst thing which has happened (beyond having those opinions subjected to criticism) is that you've been asked on at least a couple of occasions to refrain from baiting other posters and you received one warning for having persisted in such baiting after having previously been asked to stop. You've got no grounds whatsoever for complaint concerning the fairness of your treatment in this forum at any time; if anything, you've gotten a great deal of slack.

You know perfectly well what you were doing here and you know perfectly well why you were called on it, just as you've been called on it before, and there'll likely be a trolling warning in it for you if I see it again. Now go forth and behave yourself.

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I haven't noticed. I'll have to rewatch the movies looking out for that. I must have been overwhelmed by the whole spectacular.

Maybe Quinto will become my favourite Spock :lol:

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Last time I looked, teacake was not a moderator, nor are the other regular members who tend to engage in the "let's gang up on the poster with the unpopular opinion" mentality. If there is a "thou shalt not quote any moderators" rule, please link me to it, as I don't recall ever seeing any such rule.

14. M'Sharak

After having once been reminded that this was not an MA thread, you now have a warning for continuing to try to make it one. (As you've already sent me a PM which makes it clear that discussion remains futile, we'll just skip the further comment part. You may take that up with an Admin, if you wish to pursue it.)

Thread closed, since it's now broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.