Random ban

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by WavyRancheros, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros Ensign Red Shirt

Hi,

my name is Werner, I'm from Germany and am a fan. That's the reason why I joined this board only recently. My nickname is JeffreyAbrams. Obviously I'm not the real JJ Abrams, but I like to keep my real identities and my online identities separate. Obviously I'm also not Wavy Rancheros.

Well, I tried to log in today and I was greeted by this message:

Well, bummer.

I wrote an email to the board administrator Antony to ask what I did wrong. And the reply was:

And ever since then, he stopped replying. Well, yeah. Randomly banning a member who has made only 10 postings without giving ANY reason AT ALL?

I'm pretty much pissed off right now. Is this the way you guys run the board?

Can anyone please tell me what board rule it is that I broke? Please? If it's a valid reason, I'll accept it and apologize for it. But giving NO REASON AT ALL, that's a joke.

I'm well aware I posted this twice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'd guess it would be for picking that name. it doesnt appear in a user search though.

also saying FUCK a lot is totally badass.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I'm impressed by the callous use of swear words.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    In before [​IMG]

5. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've seemed to figure out why you were banned, so what is the mystery? Your real name is Werner. Of all the names and nicknames in the world, you chose to use the name of a celebrity related to Trek as your username here. And you're surprised that isn't allowed? Come on.

6. WavyRancheros

Is that the actual reason? I don't know, because no reason was given to me.
    Why am I banned without any notice? Why can't they just ask me to change my username?

Is there another set of rules? Because HERE I can't find anything about "false online name --> permanent ban without notice".

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

What were the contents of your posts like?

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't think you can change your own username, it has to be done for you. But in the meantime would I recommend you tone down the language, yes you are upset but resorting to more colourful language won't help your problem. And this thread would be better places in the MA or QST sub-forums rather than in the this sub-forum

9. WavyRancheros

And if my real name was actually Jeffrey Abrams, I would have STILL been banned without any warning or notice or justification from the board administrator. That's another outrageous part to the issue.

All I got was a "you broke the rules, but I won't tell you what rule it was". Seriously?

So noted. A few hours ago I was pretty angry and vented.

Normal, I guess. I haven't been here for long.
    http://www.trekbbs.com/search.php?searchid=6612907

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Probably yes, if you're not the Abrams. It's just confusing, especially since there actually are people who were involved with Star Trek here.

If you call yourself "Data", nobody's going to think you're actually a robot, but assuming the identity of one of the real people involved in the show makes it look like you are that person or pretend to be.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Although if he were the Abrams...this would be pretty funny.

12. Savage Dragon

Wouldn't be the first time a real Star Trek personality was banned from the BBS.

oberth likes this.
  13. WavyRancheros

And why can nobody tell me that before simply banning me WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON WHATSOEVER?

14. Savage Dragon

Again I ask, what were the contents of the posts you made under that username?

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

16. Savage Dragon

Thanks. I thought I saw someone say they couldn't find the posts anymore. I was too lazy to verify.

17. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I am no expert on the rules of this board, but I will add my own 2ยข by saying that I am confused by why the OP (using the previous username) was banned. I looked at all the posts by JeffreyAbrams and am scratching my head trying to find any nastiness or outrageousness. :confused:

Is it really because of the choice of the name?

Or was a mistake made in shutting down the account? (My own bank just had to correct an errror that they had made when they missed recording a deposit that I had made)

In any case, I think it would have been helpful and instructive (and courteous) to have given a reason for shutting down the account. I would have given the OP the benefit of doubt-- that they had unwittingly violated a rule. :)

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

(i searched for the username earlier but must've spelled it wrong or something.) nothing that contoversial in the posts really.

does seem like they could've at least told him why.

19. Savage Dragon

Yes. It is a bit of a head scratcher.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Hopefully he'll be contacted by a Mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.